Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Drive Shaft! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/drive-shaft-118659.html)

Jolebo89 10-20-2011 09:38 AM

Drive Shaft!

gotta replace the entire drive shaft tonight!! :banghead:

fabrikate_it 10-20-2011 09:46 AM

ouchie, what happened?

Jolebo89 10-20-2011 09:48 AM

started out with a little shimmy when i bought it now its getting extremely bad! got to get it fixed before it breaks something else!

Jerry Bransford 10-20-2011 11:59 AM

The entire driveshaft? If the problem is indeed coming from the driveshaft, you only need to replace u-joints which are inexpensive. Your TJ's pic (close to or at stock height) makes me believe your driveshaft is the OE factory driveshaft which has just two ujoints, either can be replaced inexpensively by a driveshaft repair shop.

C.L. 10-20-2011 01:26 PM

I had a pretty bad vibration between 30-40mph start up this weekend, that was completely resolved with a new rear u-joint. Took the caps off the old one and needle bearing dust came out.

It's a 30-45 minute operation, depending on how motivated you are. New joint was ~$12 at the local chinese steel import store...

geiman 10-20-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1675525)
The entire driveshaft? If the problem is indeed coming from the driveshaft, you only need to replace u-joints which are inexpensive. Your TJ's pic (close to or at stock height) makes me believe your driveshaft is the OE factory driveshaft which has just two ujoints, either can be replaced inexpensively by a driveshaft repair shop.

x2; remove the shaft (8 bolts total, takes 5 minutes) and take it to a drive shaft repair shop. It shouldn't take them very long at all to swap in some new joints. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you could swap the joints out yourself. But I'm guessing you'd probably be better off taking it to be fixed.

FYI, when you remove the rear shaft, you can drive in front wheel drive temporarily if need be (put transfer case in 4-HIGH) so that you can get to and from the repair shop.

fabrikate_it 10-20-2011 02:02 PM

Also you don't have o a drive shaft shop they will probably be more expensive any mechanic can replace u-joints if they can't they need to sell their tools and give up now it shouldn't cost more than $75-$100 parts and labor even with them pulling the shaft the last shop I worked at charged in that range depending on truck size and such it also depends on hourly shop rates in your area we charged $65/hour dealers are $75-$110/ hour where I live

Jerry Bransford 10-20-2011 02:09 PM

I've found driveshaft shops to be less expensive than just taking it to a standard garage, plus they are far better at what they do. Many of the shops just send their driveshaft work to a driveshaft shop anyway and then mark it up.

jlreaa 10-20-2011 02:21 PM

My drive shaft shop even rechecks the banance when they do any work on them.

Jolebo89 10-20-2011 03:36 PM

sounds good, i have a friend whose a mechanic so hes going to replace the whole drive shaft with new u joints. so hopefully this wont happen again any time soon!!

geiman 10-20-2011 03:38 PM

Good deal; shouldn't take him very long. It can be a 15 minute job depending on how "fused" the u-joints are in the shaft. Good luck, glad to hear you've got some help.

Jolebo89 10-20-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 1676034)
Good deal; shouldn't take him very long. It can be a 15 minute job depending on how "fused" the u-joints are in the shaft. Good luck, glad to hear you've got some help.

haha thanks to him in the past 2 years i have become more mechanically smart! i was surprised the shaft and u joints are not that expensive!