Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Thieves now bypass Sentry Key System (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/thieves-now-bypass-sentry-key-system-118694.html)

alohagirl 10-20-2011 12:28 PM

Thieves now bypass Sentry Key System

(cross post from California forum)

I want to warn my fellow Jeep lovers: don't rely on the factory installed Sentry Key system to protect your Jeep.

Yesterday my 2010 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door was stolen from a busy college parking lot in San Diego. I had a tracking system that sends me a text if my car gets within 10 miles of the Mexican border. I received that message and called 911 immediately. I simultaneously logged into my tracking system and saw my Jeep was traveling 77 miles per hour toward Mexico. Highway Patrol was dispatched, but there was nothing they could do. I watched in helpless frustration as my beloved Jeep crossed the border into the "Land of No Return."

Lots of Wranglers are being stolen from San Diego, so two weeks ago I called my Jeep dealer's service dept. and asked the manager if they could install a kill switch. He assured me I already have the best kind, a Sentry key, and he assured me nobody can steal my Jeep without a flatbed truck. He was wrong. My tracking device report shows the engine was started at 1:58 p.m. and it ran continuously all the way to Mexico. So much for the fuel pump shutoff.

The cops told me the thieves can now bypass these electronic systems, including Onstar. I was advised to install hidden manual kill switches instead.

And by the way, the tracking device continued to work in Mexico. After much effort and recollection of my high school Spanish, I was able to reach a Tijuana dispatcher willing to help me. She dispatched cops to the address I gave her. A half hour later she called to inform me my Jeep was recovered by the police and they had three suspects in custody. Then suddenly my tracking device was disconnected. It appears one of the Mexican policemen saw that beautiful, nearly new Jeep and said, "Dibs!" They now say they're holding my Jeep as evidence in a criminal trial. :banghead:

oilwell1415 10-20-2011 12:49 PM

A thief can bypass anything they want if they are good. An average mechanic with a good wiring diagram could probably pull off this theft with a little planning and preparation.

That said, why would anyone setup the alert to be sent within 10 miles of the border? That's just foolish. At that point there's less than 8 minutes to do something about it and that's not enough time to get the things done that need done.

erickpl 10-20-2011 12:55 PM

You've never driven the 10 miles in San Diego to the Mexico border. :) Traffic.

10 miles could be 30 minutes. lol

commodore_dude 10-20-2011 01:12 PM

Well, On Star is apparently disabled by Progressive's little driving habit tracker that you plug into the OBDII port. I don't know if the same trick works on Sentry Key.

AmericaOverland 10-20-2011 01:34 PM

Would it be possible to install a manual 4-leg jack onto the frame that you crank from inside, and then jack up to lift the frame about two inches from its resting position. The feet would have maybe half-inch spikes to dig into the asphalt/dirt. Then you lock the crank and jack inside to discourage the opportunistic thieves afraid to spend the time to free up the Jeep.

Another thing that might work on the trail or in a dirt environment is a post-hole driller mounted to the frame (maybe have 2 drillers) that drill a foot or more into the ground below, and then you padlock the drill shafts so they would have a hard time "undrilling" or at least be forced to grab the torch and cut the drill shafts off. Just hope you don't drill into a natural gas pipeline below. Phhhhheeeewwww-Powwww!

I think you're beginning to realize that it might be time to get out of San Diego. I believe that the militant elements of La Raza and MEChA are planning for a regional invasion to attempt to take that part of CA from the US. Your Jeep might have been part of the plan to acquire more "converted military hardware." Except now, the Mexican police have your Jeep. It's possible that your Jeep merely passed from one criminal element to another. México is going to fall to civil war between the Indian/mixed-blood-led cartels, the European-descendant (how about Spaniard) led government, and the people who are tired of being caught in the crossfires.

oilwell1415 10-20-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1675805)
You've never driven the 10 miles in San Diego to the Mexico border. :) Traffic.

10 miles could be 30 minutes. lol

Not at 77 mph. Even if it took 30 minutes I wouldn't want to cut it that close when there could just as easily have been 2 or 3 hours of notice before it got there.

lee indy 10-20-2011 03:09 PM

had a buddy loose his key. took 5 min on a smart phone to find a wiring diagrahm and bypass the security system. then 30 seconds to unlock the wheel. repair parts were 50 bucks

tow truck woulda been alot higher. did that with my leatherman only.

jeeps are very easily stolen. best bet is a paging alarm system with tracker and a remote disable.

after that id recommend a factory look a like switch that is mechanically actuated electrically held that cuts power to the fuel pump.

GoldenSahara00 10-20-2011 03:16 PM

Drive to mexico and get it back yourself?

oilwell1415 10-20-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 1676148)

Possession is 9/10 of the law there. Whoever has it right now is the rightful owner and taking it back sounds like a good way to end up in a Mexican prison and/or shot.

GoldenSahara00 10-20-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1676164)
Possession is 9/10 of the law there. Whoever has it right now is the rightful owner and taking it back sounds like a good way to end up in a Mexican prison and/or shot.

I am sure that if they went down there and got in his jeep and drove it home, as long as they made it across the border they would be fine. But I agree with ya. I know I wouldn't let my jeep go down there though, even if I did get shot. I'm just stupid like that though :D

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00

Like oil well said. Good luck. If I gave my jeep (that is registered in my name) to my sister. And she drove it across the border, she would be detained and neither her nor I would see it again. It's a whole different game down there.

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

I am sure that if they went down there and got in his jeep and drove it home, as long as they made it across the border they would be fine. But I agree with ya. I know I wouldn't let my jeep go down there though, even if I did get shot. I'm just stupid like that though :D

Its in an impound yard. Your not jumping in it

GoldenSahara00 10-20-2011 03:34 PM

Stolen Vehicles | CONSULATE GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES MATAMOROS, MEXICO

he has no proof of where its at. If he had left right away, and came with the police when they recovered it. there is a much higher chance of him getting it back, especailly with all the legal documents.

Even in an impound yard, he can get it back. Not all of mexico is as corupt as many make it out to be. yes it is bad, very bad in some places. But if It was so crazy than we would be much more worried about it. Many people like to say that the mexican government is completely corrupt etc. You would think the USA would be more concerned if this were true, because mexico has had the ability to make nuclear weapons for a very very long time. And they are our next door neighbor.

I am not dismissing that mexico is a very unpleasant place, but when things get tough you have to do what needs done. Legally he can recover his vehicle, and make this situation alot better. He or she is lucky the jeep wasn't completely destroyed before it was recovered.

GoldenSahara00 10-20-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 1676196)
Its in an impound yard. Your not jumping in it

It wasn't in an impound yard when the drug cartel had just stolen it :whistling:

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

It wasn't in an impound yard when the drug cartel had just stolen it :whistling:

I agree with that. I would have torn outta there like a bat outta hell called my friend with the fastest car I could find and caught them. But no doubt they were armed. And btw the OP is a girl :)

GoldenSahara00 10-20-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 1676223)
I agree with that. I would have torn outta there like a bat outta hell called my friend with the fastest car I could find and caught them. But no doubt they were armed. And btw the OP is a girl :)

I figured with the name but you never know these days :whistling:

and well, PA to mexico is a big drive but I bet we have more funs than the mexi's do here in the country ;)

3 of them against 20 angry rednecks? hahaha.

but seriously, this sucks. good luck getting your wrangler back OP!

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

I figured with the name but you never know these days :whistling:

and well, PA to mexico is a big drive but I bet we have more funs than the mexi's do here in the country ;)

3 of them against 20 angry rednecks? hahaha.

but seriously, this sucks. good luck getting your wrangler back OP!

If they tried to steal mine here. It would be ugly.

alohagirl 10-20-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1675789)
That said, why would anyone setup the alert to be sent within 10 miles of the border? That's just foolish. At that point there's less than 8 minutes to do something about it and that's not enough time to get the things done that need done.

Downtown San Diego is only 17 miles from the Tijuana border crossing. If I set my Geofence wider than 10 miles, I'd be getting text alerts constantly every time I went anywhere. Entering Geofence...exiting Geofence...entering Geofence...

Turns out the Geofence is a moot point anyway. I was told this morning that American border guards aren't allowed to stop ANY cars going into Mexico, even the ones they know are stolen. (Some kind of international law violation.) And when American authorities try to get Mexican border guards to stop a fleeing criminal, they just laugh at the idea and wave him on through!

I also found out that U.S. cops can't stop the thieves once they're on an interstate. So even if I alerted the authorities when my car was 20 or 30 miles from the border, when the cops catch up to the stolen car and order it to pull over, the thieves just laugh and keep on going, knowing American law enforcement can't stop them from reaching the border where their compatriots will wave them on through.

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohagirl

Downtown San Diego is only 17 miles from the Tijuana border crossing. If I set my Geofence wider than 10 miles, I'd be getting text alerts constantly every time I went anywhere. Entering Geofence...exiting Geofence...entering Geofence...

Turns out the Geofence is a moot point anyway. I was told this morning that American border guards aren't allowed to stop ANY cars going into Mexico, even the ones they know are stolen. (Some kind of international law violation.) And when American authorities try to get Mexican border guards to stop a fleeing criminal, they just laugh at the idea and wave him on through!

I also found out that U.S. cops can't stop the thieves once they're on an interstate. So even if I alerted the authorities when my car was 20 or 30 miles from the border, when the cops catch up to the stolen car and order it to pull over, the thieves just laugh and keep on going, knowing American law enforcement can't stop them from reaching the border where their compatriots will wave them on through.

If the police stop them on the interstate they WILL stop them. They will use all means to stop that car before the border. They are called stop sticks :)

Cons_Table 10-20-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 1676746)
If the police stop them on the interstate they WILL stop them. They will use all means to stop that car before the border. They are called stop sticks :)

Is this anything like a boom stick :whistling:?

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table

Is this anything like a boom stick :whistling:?

I'm not sure. Stop sticks are used by Leo's to stop vehicles by slowly letting the air out of their tires.

GoldenSahara00 10-20-2011 06:49 PM

I would use a large caliber boom stick if I wanted to stop them... :)

haha there are many ways to stop criminals, gosh if US gun laws weren't so tight...

Scharfschutze91 10-20-2011 06:55 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your Jeep... makes me wish even more that we could just blow all of mexico to kingdom come and rebuild... we all know they do it anyways already, why not help in their demise?

Scharfschutze91 10-20-2011 07:35 PM

I'm crying from laughing so hard!

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 07:42 PM

Dang got deleted. Sorry barrie

oilwell1415 10-20-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohagirl (Post 1676740)

That makes a lot more sense. When I checked it out in google maps it said it was a 3 hour drive from the border. I guess traffic was worse than normal in google world.

Roadhawg 10-21-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohagirl (Post 1676740)

I would double check your info. Border Patrol can stop any car they want from going across the border. They do so all the time looking for guns or money returning to Mexico.

oilwell1415 10-21-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhawg (Post 1679060)
I would double check your info. Border Patrol can stop any car they want from going across the border. They do so all the time looking for guns or money returning to Mexico.

They used to. Now that our own government is doing the smuggling they probably aren't allowed to do so anymore.

tristan4.0 10-21-2011 02:42 PM

I moved from San Diego in January and bought my Rubi the August prior. I was warned by ORW and off roading buddies that they were a hot item for smugglers and other peeps over the boarder because of the jeeps capabilities. I installed a manual kill switch, an alarm, locking lugs, and garaged it and I still did not sleep well at night. I am sorry for your loss! Going off of another post that was talking about installing posts that drop to prevent stealing, I say rip out the air bag and install a 12 gauge that can be fired off if stolen. A little bit of a mess but itll do the trick.

jkaufman_95 10-21-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415

They used to. Now that our own government is doing the smuggling they probably aren't allowed to do so anymore.

Yeah. That statement makes total sense.