Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1st Oil Change...Did I kill my Jeep?

16K views 98 replies 46 participants last post by  bigegriff 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been enjoying, no, loving my new 2012 JKU and got to the 500 mile mark this past weekend. I had planned on changing the oil then, but just got around to it today. I was pretty excited about it, being my first attempt at changing my own oil; I've done other stuff, just not oil. I printed out the steps at work today from a post by both ndrugby and Mykl and went to it tonight.

I did everything by the book, or so I thought. I finished up and as I was backing out of the garage to let it run a little before checking the oil level, the engine light lit up and stayed on. I thought it was a little odd. Then I looked back in the garage, saw a huge puddle of oil in the garage floor, and my heart fell into my stomach. See attached photo.

I immediately turned the engine off (it ran for maybe a minute) and realized I forgot to tighten the oil filter back down. It was just laying in the hole, barely threaded so the oil had been spurting out of the hole. So I had to make a late night run to Walmart to get some fresh oil and a ton of oil-soaker-upper.

I re-changed my oil (drained new oil, replaced with 6 quarts of new-new oil) and made sure everything was tightened back up and restarted the engine. I let it run for a minute or two hoping that the engine light would go off, but it never did. Turned her off, checked everything again, and started her up, but still the light stayed on. I think everything is running fine, but I'm so scared that every little tiny tick is as loud as gunfire.

Did I kill my Jeep? Why is the engine light staying on? Any advice/ suggestions is very much welcome.

Attachments

See less See more
#74 ·
^^Good on you gluestick!^^

Watch stores like Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone. They run oil change specials featuring synthetic oil and a filter for a good price. Typically 5 qts of Mobil 1 Castrol, Valvoline, or Pennzoil synthetic and a good filter. I prefer Mobil 1 or Purolator Pure One filters over the Fram filters, but that's JMO. Start your own stash, and know the job was done right!

#75 ·
The only pisser is the 6 qt thing. I got a 5 quart jug for $23 bucks (came with a $7 mail in rebate so really only $16 bucks) and had to buy an extra quart for around $7. That buying one quart at a time deal is a rip off. I guess the value comes in when you scoop up a case of those 5 quart jugs at a time. You know you're gonna use 'em sometime...

Is there any harm in mixing oil brands, if say you have a few different brand quart bottles hanging around with just about a pint or so left in them? Can you safely do an "oil cocktail" (SAE remaining constant)? Any downside in a syn/regular mix?

I have always been a believer in going 4-5k between oil changes, in all honesty mostly out of my aversion to sitting in the jiffylube waiting room. I think I will be tightening up that schedule with my Wrangler. Now I just need to find that tire rotation thread...

#78 ·
Hey everyone. I've been enjoying, no, loving my new 2012 JKU and got to the 500 mile mark this past weekend. I had planned on changing the oil then, but just got around to it today. I was pretty excited about it, being my first attempt at changing my own oil; I've done other stuff, just not oil. I printed out the steps at work today from a post by both ndrugby and Mykl and went to it tonight.
Maybe I'm just in a "hater" mood, but yeah, I actually read through the 3 pages or so and no one really mentions it..but yeah, I can't see why someone who dropped 40K on a wrangler..

Would do their own oil change...maybe it was just to feel all "manly-man" but I don't know. You figure buying a brand new vehicle you'd want everything, service records/oil changes recorded with receipts, and probably done at the dealer, etc.

I'm not gonna lie..the minute I seen, "I printed out the steps at work today.." I was like :doh:

I just found it a bit amusing, most guys learn changing oil on like (insert vehicle that's like 10-15 years old), but you're learning on an 2012, what a life :rolleyes:

There's a saying that I've heard more than a few times, "Just pay the $2 dollars." I believe it came from back in early NY, people would get tickets and they could of either spent an entire day in court or whatever disputing and still not getting much done - or making life simple and pay the $2.

OK. Done with my rant. And I know this all sounds negative as hell, but in your post I just kept thinking....why???!!!! lol :thumb:

#79 ·
The adage goes: "If you want something done right, do it yourself"

This applies here more than anywhere else.

I change my own oil, it gives me something to do on my day off,
lets me check the jeep and make sure all is well under the hood,
I can use full synthetic oil and a good filter for the same cost, or less, than some guy who probably can't spell oil could put the wrong weight of crap oil and a cardboard filter on it,
I know the correct amount of oil is going in and coming out of my Jeep.

That is why I change my own oil on my brand new expensive INVESTMENT.

#89 ·
I've just been p*ssed. I've been on a Wrangler hunt for the last month and it has been a battle field for me :banghead:

You only live once, whether 25, 35, 45+ at least you tried and now you know how to do it.

And you're right, no one is going to put as much care in it as you would. I'm thinking how many times I've paid for X point oil changes and still had to go back and add fluids, etc - that should have been added at the shop.

I was such a debbie-downer, bro -- lol.

I've been having my own Wrangler situations and it may have came out here, maybe I was just hate'n (be'n jelly) on your '012 ;)

I'm sorry :flowers: lol.

#90 ·
No worries JeepGirl!:thumb: Are you looking for a new '12? Whatever it is, I hope you find it and your situation resolves itself.

#91 ·
Your probably okay. Most Chrysler products have a 13 key cycle lifespan. After your Jeep has 13 key cycles of all systems go it will go off. Unplug your battery and plug it back in will reset the count if everything is ok on that restart your light will be off and will stay off if everything is okay

#94 ·
jimbox, i have been looking at those plugs for years, in pictures, always afraid that it would somehow come open while driving, any chance of this? tks steve
I'm not jimbox, but ... they'll stay closed. They are used on a lot of heavy contruction equipment straight from the factory. If they can stand the vibrations and abuse on a dozer or excavator, they'll stand up to a jeep.

They have a detent in the lever that opens the valve. You actually have to 'unlatch' the lever to open the valve.

#96 ·
I didn't read through this whole thread but I didn't notice anyone suggest an oil analysis? I would refill, tighten down, and drive for 500 miles or so and then send out a sample to get analyzed. If you did enough damage to score a bearing or ring or something of that sort the oil analysis should reveal it.

I am with the other posters in that I think you are probably just fine. Yes, it is very bad to run your engine without oil, but the damage does not happen instantaneously.

#97 ·
.......I would be shocked if you hurt the lower end with that little running at those low revs. Just drive it. If you are really worried then drive it a hundred miles or so and drain the oil...if it is metal free and smells like oil should, your golden. If you killed it you'll know for sure.

#98 ·
Assuming all OK, what happens if you disconnect the battery for a bit to maybe clear the fault or must that be done in some other way?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.