Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   New Jersey Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f93/)
-   -   help - stranded in pine barrens! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f93/help-stranded-in-pine-barrens-119131.html)

pas914 10-23-2011 03:12 PM

help - stranded in pine barrens!
 
If anyone is out in the area I am stuck in pines off if colliers mill road. PM or call [removed at OP's request].

Paul

InvertChaos 10-23-2011 03:25 PM

Bump for help

XJ Knight 10-23-2011 03:33 PM

Bump; posted to CF's north east section as well.

pas914 10-23-2011 04:04 PM

Jogging out to main road before it gets dark
Guess I'll have to come back for the jeep.

XJ Knight 10-23-2011 04:12 PM

posting to naxja

XJ Knight 10-23-2011 04:58 PM

Bump.. Suprised you didn't here about the big clean up day they have going on at the barrens right now.. Bunch of Jeeps out in the pines today

Nottusyeroc 10-23-2011 05:03 PM

Was just around there 2 hours ago I'm too far away now. There should be a lot of guys at the pic a Lilly I pulled some one out right before I left the woods

pas914 10-23-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight (Post 1684636)
Bump.. Suprised you didn't here about the big clean up day they have going on at the barrens right now.. Bunch of Jeeps out in the pines today

I was in the area and took a ride out to the ranges on a whim. Hadn't heard about the clean up, but didn't see anyone "cleaning" anything either!

In hind sight, I should've skipped the joy ride and just continued on home ..

XJ Knight 10-23-2011 06:55 PM

Is your jeep still stuck out there?

pas914 10-23-2011 07:41 PM

No, called road side assistance and they sent a flat bed. It's at the dealership now. I wasn't actually stuck, just stranded: I was exploring some trails in 4H, came upon a stream I wanted to cross, so I stopped at the edge and shifted to 4L .. something gave out, because it is stuck in neutral and there is no resistance on the shifter. Between the road side assistance and pending repair, I'm glad I have the MaxCare contract.

XJ Knight 10-23-2011 07:45 PM

Well thats good news.. Bad but good.. When you find out what failed be sure to post up what it was

srad600 10-23-2011 09:09 PM

Sorry I missed this I was in Philly at a wedding most of the day.

Im glad you got out ok.

C.L. 10-23-2011 09:24 PM

Oh damn, wish you had posted the actual issue earlier. 95% of the time, when the TC gets a case of "limp stick", it's due to the goofy threaded rod assembly between the body linkage and the TC arm falling off. You can usually reach under there with a pair of pliers and manually shift the transfer case.

pas914 10-23-2011 09:33 PM

That might have been the case -- but it was after 4pm and I was burning day light, so I didnt want to mess with it. If it had gotten dark, I dont know if I could've found my way out on foot (let alone get a flatbed to venture back there!).

All good -- I paid for the service contract, might as well use it .. I'll let you know what the prob turns out to be.

glomb23 10-23-2011 11:54 PM

My apologies for seeing this so late. I'm only about 45 minutes away from there and would have gladly lent a hand.

pas914 10-25-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.L. (Post 1685406)
Oh damn, wish you had posted the actual issue earlier. 95% of the time, when the TC gets a case of "limp stick", it's due to the goofy threaded rod assembly between the body linkage and the TC arm falling off. You can usually reach under there with a pair of pliers and manually shift the transfer case.

Turns out it was a $0.50 bushing that connects the linkage that failed. From what I understand, a common problem. But thanks for the advice -- next time I will manually shift out of neutral so I can get it home.

Jerseyjk07 10-29-2011 12:34 AM

Glad it all worked out for you. For future, I belong to a jeep club base in the pines we have a recovery team that is always available 24/7. We where out in the area for the clean up that day with 27 jeeps. Few of us could have broken off to come help if I had known.

srad600 10-29-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseyjk07 (Post 1701386)
Glad it all worked out for you. For future, I belong to a jeep club base in the pines we have a recovery team that is always available 24/7. We where out in the area for the clean up that day with 27 jeeps. Few of us could have broken off to come help if I had known.

Jersey crew?

pas914 10-30-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseyjk07 (Post 1701386)
Glad it all worked out for you. For future, I belong to a jeep club base in the pines we have a recovery team that is always available 24/7. We where out in the area for the clean up that day with 27 jeeps. Few of us could have broken off to come help if I had known.

Thats really good to know. I work at the Lakehurst NAES, so when I can break away early I try to take a ride on the trails -- usually by myself. How do I get a hold of the recovery team in case of an emergency?

Jerseyjk07 10-30-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srad600 (Post 1702797)
Jersey crew?


Could be......how did you guess? lol

srad600 10-30-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseyjk07 (Post 1704707)
Could be......how did you guess? lol

Recognized the screen name I think. Sounded like the JC. Ive met a couple on mud boys run and posted on JKO a few times...same name.

Whodini 04-11-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pas914

Turns out it was a $0.50 bushing that connects the linkage that failed. From what I understand, a common problem. But thanks for the advice -- next time I will manually shift out of neutral so I can get it home.

How much did they end up charging you to fix it? And what all did they do?

This same issue happened to me. I crawled under her manually switched the shift linkage into gear, got her home, jumped out again and then shifted her into park! I fixed her by buying a brand new bushing and used super strength zip ties for extra security. From what I've read this is an issue that's still not 100% fixed on newer jeeps. Be interested to know what they all did to yours and how much they charged you for.

Wlloyd 04-14-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pas914
That might have been the case -- but it was after 4pm and I was burning day light, so I didnt want to mess with it. If it had gotten dark, I dont know if I could've found my way out on foot .

I keep a small tent blanket and freeze dried food in my yj just incase I get stuck and have to sleep over.

burton160w 04-19-2012 03:45 PM

Damn man, if I was home woulda definitely came out and helped. Where in Chesterfield are you, I'm right in Springfield - graduated from Northern in 2007.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.