Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 6 speed uncommon? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-6-speed-uncommon-119239.html)

robocop 10-24-2011 08:19 AM

2012 6 speed uncommon?

After years of enjoying Toyotas I was dissapointed with the changes to the 2012 Tacoma. After a little research I decided on a new Jeep based on the improvements to the 2012 Wrangler. Narrowed my choices to the Sahara or Rubicon and went for a test drive.

The largest dealer in my area (Birmingham) had at least 14 in stock however not a single 6 speed on the lot. This is a deal breaker for me as I simply enjoy a manual better. No problem the dealer says and hits his locator searching the state.

Salesman takes maybe 15 minutes searching and returns to inform me there is not a 6 speed within several states. Now with a little research here I found many threads talking about the 6 speed and some liked it while others did not. I did not find any real problems with the 6 speed so I am curious if there is something I have missed.

Is there some sort of mechanical problem with the Jeep 6 speed that makes it so hard to find or is it simply so unpopular dealers do not stock them? I was looking for either the Sahara or Rubicon with the only must have options being leather and 6 speed.

I drove an auto just to get a feel of the Jeep and I did like the vehicle. He did say I could order one however I refused to do so before test driving a manual to see how it feels. The last option I had was to maybe get the sport version and add leather from the dealer.......well you guessed it not even a manual sport within a few hundred miles.

He tried to sale me a Tan 2012 Sahara with Leather & 6 speed however it was almost one thousand miles away. He said it would cost me about an extra thousand dollars to ship it here. I walked out saying I would wait a few months and try again. Any ideas as to why the 6 speed is so hard to find or does it sound like the dealer was simply trying to push what he had on the lot?

They did offer me a decent deal on a 2012 Rubicon auto however again I simply must have a manual. Thanks for letting me vent a little as it is frustrating for me. Weird thing is I do show a few manual models within 200 miles searching online however they are all pretty basic with cloth interior.....sounds like a shaky dealer to me but I will wait for now.

ShoreWrangler 10-24-2011 08:27 AM

That is bull shite, there are lots of manuals out there. He just doesn't want you looking elsewhere.

The Sahara can be difficult to find in manual, but the Rubicon, Sport, and Sport S are common in manual

dont give in and get the automatic. get what you want, don't let a dealer convince you otherwise

panthermark 10-24-2011 08:34 AM

Just order one....from another dealer... Or call a fleet manager and order from there...

Also..there are some good pricing services out there...

robocop 10-24-2011 08:34 AM

Thanks for the input and I kind of thought this may be the case here. Believe me I have no idea of buying anything I am not exactly happy with as I have done that in the past. For the price of a new Jeep I would hate to make that payment for something I was even a little unhappy with.

The Rubicon Auto I test drove had the black/saddle leather interior and I really liked this. I decided then I must have leather and the manual. My first choice is the tan Sahara with matching fenders and top then 2nd would be the dark green. It may have been the matching fenders/top/manual that was the problem finding however he did say out of the only 3 color choices (tan,green,silver) I wanted there were no 6 speeds within 500 miles.

I may try again this weekend at a few other dealers however the next closest one with a bigger inventory is maybe 80 miles away.

panthermark 10-24-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop (Post 1686150)
Thanks for the input and I kind of thought this may be the case here. Believe me I have no idea of buying anything I am not exactly happy with as I have done that in the past. For the price of a new Jeep I would hate to make that payment for something I was even a little unhappy with.

The Rubicon Auto I test drove had the black/saddle leather interior and I really liked this. I decided then I must have leather and the manual. My first choice is the tan Sahara with matching fenders and top then 2nd would be the dark green. It may have been the matching fenders/top/manual that was the problem finding however he did say out of the only 3 color choices (tan,green,silver) I wanted there were no 6 speeds within 500 miles.

I may try again this weekend at a few other dealers however the next closest one with a bigger inventory is maybe 80 miles away.

I have bad news for you bro....you get to join the club of disappointment.
Jeep stopped making Sahara Tan back in July.... So if you want that color...you have to take what is left in stock. (Yeah, I ran into the same issue on a Sahara Tan Sahara...that is over 700 miles away and still isn't exactly what I want).
Also...Natural Green? Gone... People are waiting so see what Black Forest Green will look like.

kjeeper10 10-24-2011 08:48 AM

Be patient!!! if you have to drive a somewhere to find one--doit :)

This was brought up recently. I wish I could get you the link.

Just sad :(

XPADREX 10-24-2011 09:05 AM

You think that's bad, Mopar just released a statement that in 2014, all Wranglers will seat seven, come in hard top only, and will feature park assist: LINK

kbwwolf 10-24-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XPADREX (Post 1686208)
You think that's bad, Mopar just released a statement that in 2014, all Wranglers will seat seven, come in hard top only, and will feature park assist: LINK

:eek:

KimKman 10-24-2011 09:25 AM

Nothing wrong with the 6 speed manual. In fact it is great. On our 2012 Rubi 2dr 4:10 everything just fails into place shifting. It is a breeze that both my wife and I enjoy driving. I would definitely continue your search. Sounds like someone wants you to buy from their inventory rather than look around. Good luck.

sirrobin4ever 10-24-2011 09:40 AM

Have you done a search on the Jeep website? I did a quick search on there for Birmingham, AL, and found two dealers who supposedly have some in stock, might be worth a call.

This dealer says they have one on the lot, and two on the way:
Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram dealer Benchmark Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram located in Birmingham AL

This dealer says that they have two on the lot:
Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram dealer Jim Burke Automotive located in Birmingham AL

None of them are probably quite what you want, but at least you would be able to get a feel for how the manual feels before you order that exact Wrangler you're looking for.

ShaneDiddy 10-24-2011 09:52 AM

Yeah I had the same problem...so I just ordered one exactly the way I wanted.....since then though the dealer has gotten about 6 6-speeds on the lot..lol....but still everytime I see one its bare bones so I still would have ordred.

Robbo 10-24-2011 11:58 AM

I had to order mine (which I was going to do anyway, since I keep my vehicles a long time and like to start out with exactly what I want) to get the 6-speed. The salesman told me they don't bother to order any manual Wranglers for their inventory because it takes forever for them to sell, according to him.

FWIW, I really like mine. Since it's been less than a week since it was delivered, I'm still getting used to it (fifth gear isn't as far to the right as I apparently think it should be) but it's damn fun to drive. :thumb:

oilwell1415 10-24-2011 12:41 PM

I doubt the dealer doesn't order manual transmissions because they can't sell them. There may be a little truth to that for the JKU, but it's much more likely that they order the auto because it puts $200 more in their pocket when they sell it. This works because most buyers who want a manual will just settle for an auto and take it because it's right there instead of ordering.

kbwwolf 10-24-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbo (Post 1686537)
I had to order mine (which I was going to do anyway, since I keep my vehicles a long time and like to start out with exactly what I want) to get the 6-speed. :thumb:

I made 'em build me one, too.

Salesman kept asking, "Why would you want a manual?" And launching into explanations about how much better the auto is.

Finally told him I was gonna bail if he said one more word about the transmission.

Mine'll be here end of the month.

Hopefully. :D

Peepers 10-24-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1686175)

x2... I'm driving 1900 miles next summer to texas to pick up an 06 Rubi LJ with less than 25k miles on it right now... The perfect vehicle is out there, you just got to search for it.

drshaws 10-24-2011 01:48 PM

X3. We had our local dealer go hunting throughout New England for our 2011 JKU.

We specifically needed:
6-speed manual
S package (power windows critical for manual window challenged rear occupant - aka - toddler and dogs)
Connectivity group
Hard top (really wanted it for New England winters)
NO Infiniti speaker system (didn't want subwoofer eating into cargo/dog space)
Tow package (for 3.73 gears)

They found one for us. Only compromise was the dual top group (they cut us a break on pricing because of the increased cost), and not getting the tow package. Mildly regret not having the 3.73 gears, but it hasn't been a huge issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1686175)

Robbo 10-24-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1686708)
Salesman kept asking, "Why would you want a manual?" And launching into explanations about how much better the auto is.

I had kind of the opposite experience--the salesman who sold me mine started off by apologizing for not having any manuals on the lot and bemoaning the fact that hardly anyone knows how to drive stick anymore. It may have helped that he was an older guy, though, and learned how to drive in a car with a manual transmission.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine! :)

i2canoe 10-24-2011 07:16 PM

From what I make out in my area is that the dealers order the automatics for their stock because:
a) Anybody can drive them where as you need to really have to know how to drive properly to buy the standard. (or want to learn how to really drive)
b) They are able to get more bucks on the sale.
c) Leasing companies prefer them and push their customers in that direction - again easier for them to unload the automatics after leases end.
Just my own observation.

kbwwolf 10-24-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbo (Post 1687533)
I had kind of the opposite experience--the salesman who sold me mine started off by apologizing for not having any manuals on the lot and bemoaning the fact that hardly anyone knows how to drive stick anymore. It may have helped that he was an older guy, though, and learned how to drive in a car with a manual transmission.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine! :)

It's all good. We both got what we wanted. :D

robocop 10-24-2011 09:14 PM

Thank you for the information and after the many replies here am sad to learn that both Tan, and Natural Green, were only made for a short time in 2012 versions. Thanks for the information and that is just my luck I guess. For some reason the all Tan was my personal favorite.....it has a classy kind of rugged appeal to me.

Sirrobin4ever thank you for the links to the dealers however Benchmark was the large dealer I visited first as they did show a few 6 speeds in stock. The salesman advised the internet searches are very unreliable as they actually did not have any of the manuals in stock that were showing to be on their lot. Same thing with a few others I actually phoned after searching.

I am actually in the good position of not really "needing" a new vehicle and can afford to wait. My 2009 Tacoma only has 40k on it and runs just fine. I am simply tired of the style and the recent hype from Toyota has dissapointed me. Their new 2012 is nothing new however I can enjoy my Tacoma none the less while I wait for something to turn up.

It was appraised at just over 19k and I owe just under 16k so again I am in a good position. Time will tell however I am frustrated if nothing else. Much good information here and again thank you for your time.

Robbo 10-24-2011 09:37 PM

If it's a dark green you're after, Jeep should be releasing Black Forest Green soon. From the paint chips I've seen, though, it looks awfully close to black with just a little green tint.

robocop 10-25-2011 02:36 AM

I never knew about the black forest green however after searching a little there is not much out there as of yet. I found a few samples online however again hard to tell from a monitor.

I saw an all black one in person and it was actually the Rubicon I test drove in an auto. It looks great in person however I see so many black ones on the road I would rather have something a little different.

My neighbor once had a wrangler and I think it was an older model from several years back. It was an olive kind of color but a little darker that had an almost military drab look. With a mild lift and black wheels that was one of the nicest looking Jeeps I have seen. I am not sure if it was an older factory color or maybe he painted it but again a very attractive Jeep.

Maybe if nothing else I will wait for 2013 versions to arrive and hope for a few different options in color. I could always hang around here and by that time would be an expert on everything Jeep....:D

This weekend I plan to try again and if allowed may try to get one factory ordered with Tan if still an option. Any idea what they mean by early production only on certain colors.....nevermind that as it has already been answered here and I missed it. Panthermark had the same issue and found production stopped in July.

Well it is what it is for now and I will keep trying however I will not settle for an auto under any circumstances. Thank you all again for the input.

CrazyBull 10-25-2011 03:13 AM

I ordered my stick! And I got my stick 4 days ago! And I'll beat you weeth my steek eef you try to take it from me! My steek EES my FREEEND!

Damn...where's that muscle relaxer and prozac?

robocop 10-25-2011 03:27 AM

You know the dark cherry maroon color actually looks pretty nice and I may consider that as an option as well. I would like to see one in person with matching fenders as the pics I found online do not seem to do it justice.

Not really a fan of the black fenders however must say if I had to buy one with black fenders it looks pretty nice with the cherry color. One of the reasons I chose the natural dark green was because it looked decent with black fenders. The salesman let on early the tan was going to be hard to find,in any form, and that green was also hard to find with matching fenders.

So there I go again thinking about trying to live with something I did not want.....I am sticking to my guns and waiting for something with matching fenders, matching top,manual, and leather.......but the cherry looks nice and thanks for the photo.

CrazyBull 10-25-2011 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop (Post 1688854)
You know the dark cherry maroon color actually looks pretty nice and I may consider that as an option as well. I would like to see one in person with matching fenders as the pics I found online do not seem to do it justice.

Not really a fan of the black fenders however must say if I had to buy one with black fenders it looks pretty nice with the cherry color. One of the reasons I chose the natural dark green was because it looked decent with black fenders. The salesman let on early the tan was going to be hard to find,in any form, and that green was also hard to find with matching fenders.

So there I go again thinking about trying to live with something I did not want.....I am sticking to my guns and waiting for something with matching fenders, matching top,manual, and leather.......but the cherry looks nice and thanks for the photo.

Well, here's the thing. I liked the matching fender color as well. It is pretty. The pic is from my dealer of a 2012 Rubi I drove while waiting on mine. BUT..and there is a But..if you get the matching fenders and do any, well, doesn't even have to be offroading even, you WILL scratch those puppies up and they will look like crap.

Look up "Odd Story" and you'll find out about this jeep and mine. Twas a hoot. My sales guy, who is so awesome, is going to take pics of "Moose" after its done and send pics to the dealer who flew down from Nebraska to "Pick up MY jeep" and take it back and go Nyaa Nyaa..etc etc...

robocop 10-25-2011 05:28 AM

I will look for that thread and read it tonight if possible.....that all matching maroon does look amazing.

To be honest I am not nearly as hard core as some I have seen here. I may go to the river or camping however around here neither of these will require a true 4x4. I actually simply like the looks of the wrangler and also like knowing I have a decent off road vehicle just in case I really do need it some day.

It snows here maybe a few days total each winter and poor road conditions are rare. I found myself actually thinking the painted fenders would be easier to keep nice but now see this may not be true.

I have noticed on other Jeeps that the black fenders tend to fade and look pretty rough. I asked the dealer about this and he said this was due mostly to people washing their Jeeps and using chemical products on the fenders. He tried to sale me one with black fenders and told me if they ever faded or became "blotchy" looking I could use a flame to heat them. He claimed this would make the oils rise back to the top and would make the fenders look brand new.

So again maybe he was trying to simply sale me what he had as he had a slick answer for everything. I have had my current Tacoma off road a few times but never in any deep brush. Mostly maybe a little mud and never any type of rock crawling. I did use it this last winter during an unusually bad snow and ice storm. Made it 40 miles from work to home all in 4 high with zero problems. The added security of the 4x4 was nice as many co-workers were stranded....or got a ride with me and a few others.

CrazyBull 10-25-2011 05:44 AM

;)Well, I'm not your average..uhm, crap. I live in the boonies. Grew up in the panhandle of Tx, then the swamplands, and somehow ended up in BFE middle of Utah & widowed.

Where I am, I'm a mile from the nearest town at 7200' alt and the town has a population of 30. Yes folks, thats right, 30. I have to drive 6 miles to a town of 200 to get my mail. No one plows my road, I do it myself. Have a bronco dedicated for that. But in the middle of the Monroe mtns we get snowfalls of 1' a night in some cases and if you don't stay on top of it, well..I have considered getting mattrax for the new jeep but I could get another jeep for that much.

I like the black, if it gets scratched up that's fine. But painted fenders are for soccer moms and I don't want to pin stripe them out brush popping. No offense.. ;)

The long and short of it was for my whole life I've wanted a jeep. Had a Land Rover which I loved but maintenance was ungodly expensive, my girlfriend has a Grand Cherokee but its..spiffy. And I am the one who spiffied it. lol. But I decided I wanted the best possible overlander camping vehicle that could save my butt within a certain budget so I'm building it.

To the standard ? I haven't driven one in 10 years. But I loved driving a stick. I tried both and well, if you weigh in pure fun the stick wins. Specially in panic situations. And other things I'm remembering like getting to coast for miles in the mountains. Granted the auto's better for rock climbing but I'm not going to a challenge in MOAB even though its down the street from me. I want to look from my back porch and go "That sumbitch is 10,000 ft high and 10 miles from me..hmm, pack the cooler, camping gear and tackle box and I can be there in an hour"...then get snowed in and get home just fine.

robocop 10-25-2011 06:05 AM

Sounds like you would scratch up just about any type of fenders in that environment. I think I will count my blessings to live in Southern Alabama and I do not think I have ever even seen anywhere that needed the roads to be plowed any time of the year.....holy smoke while it sounds like a nice place to me ( I like the idea of seclusion) your town is just a little out of my comfort zone.

Personally other than the off road capabilities the biggest attraction to the Jeep for me is the simplicity. I like the fact the body style has remained,for the most part,true to the original design. Simple,rugged, and easy to enjoy sounds nice to me.

I actually had no idea you can remove the carpet and spray the inside out or even wash the carpet in your washing machine. The sales guy I spoke with went over many things and I was impressed with the easy to maintain features mostly. It would be nice not to worry about a little dog hair, mud, or a little water in my daily driver. I do try to keep my vehicles waxed and nice however after reading here a few weeks before joining I found most feel if it is not dirty or roughed up it is not a Jeep....:)

I have also never had any type of open air vehicle and the idea of both a hard and soft top is nice. Thanks for the advice as well as the education and I will keep you posted as to what I find with my hope to be soon new JK.

kjeeper10 10-25-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop
Sounds like you would scratch up just about any type of fenders in that environment. I think I will count my blessings to live in Southern Alabama and I do not think I have ever even seen anywhere that needed the roads to be plowed any time of the year.....holy smoke while it sounds like a nice place to me ( I like the idea of seclusion) your town is just a little out of my comfort zone.

Personally other than the off road capabilities the biggest attraction to the Jeep for me is the simplicity. I like the fact the body style has remained,for the most part,true to the original design. Simple,rugged, and easy to enjoy sounds nice to me.

I actually had no idea you can remove the carpet and spray the inside out or even wash the carpet in your washing machine. The sales guy I spoke with went over many things and I was impressed with the easy to maintain features mostly. It would be nice not to worry about a little dog hair, mud, or a little water in my daily driver. I do try to keep my vehicles waxed and nice however after reading here a few weeks before joining I found most feel if it is not dirty or roughed up it is not a Jeep....:)

I have also never had any type of open air vehicle and the idea of both a hard and soft top is nice. Thanks for the advice as well as the education and I will keep you posted as to what I find with my hope to be soon new JK.

The fenders stay in great shape especially if you protect them with a uv protectant like 303. Yes-they can be heated. I bought an 07 in July and they look almost perfect.
Also--if you really need new fenders, look on CL-people sell OEM flares all the time after they upgrade to aftermarket or flats.
$50-$100. Same with everything else. Stock parts are cheap and easy to replace.
Need new tires? Rubi 17 wheels and 32" tires around $750 ALL 5 :)
A real benefit when owning a jeep, or a honda-but who wants a Honda? Lol