Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Amp Placement (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/amp-placement-119244.html)

obidya 10-24-2011 08:39 AM

Amp Placement

I am looking for creative places to store the amp as well as what you guys have used.

so... where have you stuck your amp (pics would be sweet)

I currently have my amp under the back seat but want to re-locate it somewhere or replace it with an amp I can relocate somewhere.
I am not powering subs just the front and soundbar.

**sorry if there is already a thread like this out there, I did not see it

suicideking 10-24-2011 02:02 PM

I have 2 amps:
One for the front and rear speakers, another for the Sub. They're installed under the driver and passenger front seats. Front speakers are top of the line JL, rear are Kenwood coaxials. Front and rear amp is also JL. Can't remember the brand of amp for the sub. Both amps are mounted with velcro so that they wouldn't have to drill holes.

My installer wanted to mount them on the back of the back seats, I told him NO WAY. This may look good to them, but screws up my storage if I need to put the seats down.

He also wanted to mount 2 8" subs in the somewhat hidden compartment under the rear mat. Said he would have to cut the mat to do this. I told him no way he's cutting that mat either. Currently I have a 10" Kicker sub in a small box sitting up against the back of the rear seat. It can be removed pretty easily if needed, it's held in place with velcro.

obidya 10-24-2011 02:50 PM

I just installed Infinity 5.25 up front and 6.5 in the rear, do you know what model your JL amp is? I was thinking under the seats is about the only place to put one but wasn't sure how big / what brand might work for that.

once I get the amp figured out I have a roll of 14 gauge speaker wire to re-wire everything, this should sound really nice.

Ill take step by step pics for final install and put them up to show everyone

suicideking 10-25-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obidya (Post 1687065)
I just installed Infinity 5.25 up front and 6.5 in the rear, do you know what model your JL amp is? I was thinking under the seats is about the only place to put one but wasn't sure how big / what brand might work for that.

once I get the amp figured out I have a roll of 14 gauge speaker wire to re-wire everything, this should sound really nice.

Ill take step by step pics for final install and put them up to show everyone

Don't remember the model off hand, have it on a receipt somewhere.

I had this same system in my last car, but had 6 x 9's in the rear. I do miss the mid bass from the 6 x 9's.

I also thought some stuff would fit under the rear seats. Looks like there's some space under there. I currently have some parts I need for work under there. I figure maybe two small 8" subs might fit with a small enough box.

Jma20a 10-25-2011 12:59 AM

if your looking at a small high power 8" sub take a look at these. they put out the same bass as 90% of 10" and some 12" subs.

SSA Shop - Sound Splinter RL-i 8 Dual 4ohm Sub woofer

SSA Shop - SoundSplinter Orphan 8" sub woofer

suicideking 10-25-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a (Post 1688739)
if your looking at a small high power 8" sub take a look at these. they put out the same bass as 90% of 10" and some 12" subs.

SSA Shop - Sound Splinter RL-i 8 Dual 4ohm Sub woofer

SSA Shop - SoundSplinter Orphan 8" sub woofer

Thanks for the link! My stereo shop mentioned some really nice 8's, I wonder if those were the ones they were talking about.

Jma20a 10-25-2011 11:37 AM

the size of the magnet is 1/8" smaller than the basket, they are ridiculously strong, built like a tank.

nikto 10-28-2011 12:32 PM

I have made a custom mounting bracket for my 2011 JK and am mounting a Pioneer GM9500 behind the driver side front speaker box. The bracket is mounted to the dash frame on the driver side fender.

Took a little work but keeps it hidden and up out of the way... :D

jorgeII 10-30-2011 11:43 PM

Fosgate has a new "compact sized" amp series that i wish had been out when i installed my two amps under the back seat. One is a 4-channel amp rated at 75 watts rms, perfect for your front and soundbar speakers. and the other is a mono amp, i believe rated at 300-500 watts rms. both of these i believe would have taken up half the space of my current amps. check em out!

obidya 10-31-2011 09:48 AM

Thanks all for your input

over the weekend I bought a kenwood 350w amp that was very compact in size with the intent to put it under the drivers seat. Before I started the install I had to fix a wiring issue with my headlight switch and ended up pulling the dash apart around the steering wheel.

There is a well ventilated area under the steering column with plenty of room for wiring and many great options for ground wires. THE PERFECT SPOT FOR MY NEW AMP!!

I will post pictures of the install, it went super smooth and sounds amazing.

suicideking 10-31-2011 11:38 AM

Congrats! Curious to see pics. :)

I wish I could take a listen, but I guess you can't do that over the Internet...

bobthetj03 10-31-2011 03:06 PM

Would like to see pics too. I thought about putting my sub amp under the dash but put it under the drivers seat instead.

obidya 11-01-2011 01:36 PM

Here is the dash pulled apart while I was tracing the headlight switch wiring to diagnose an issue I was having with the running lights
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo1.jpg

I cut the stock speaker brackets to make room for the new 5.25 MTX brackets,
If you use these make sure the top cut is as close to being straight across as possible, the bracket will require it.
(this is when we noticed the perfect amp spot)
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo2.jpg

Infinity 5.25" kappa bolted to the MTX bracket with a boom mat speaker baffle.
(imo required for this particular dash, it made a HUGE difference in sound quality)
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo3.jpg

with the dash still open I bent the bracket for the headlight switch to allow room for the speaker bracket, it does fit with some moving around.
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo4.jpg

after pulling the metal panel off in pic 1, my kenwood amp fit snuggly right up against the bottom of the steering column without hindering any moving parts.
(these pics are kinda blurry but you get the idea)
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo5.jpg

I just used zip ties to secure it into place, at this angle it also allows for amp adjusting and whatnot with removing the first main plastic panel (only 2 skrews)
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo6.jpg

new 14 gauge speaker wire in the soudbar, I left the leads nice and long so i could rest the 6.5's on the top of the seats while attaching them (safety first)
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo7.jpg

I just followed the stock wiring with the new so once everything is nice and zipped up you can't see it anywhere
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo8.jpg

Infinity Kappa 6.5" (looks almost stock in the soundbar huh)
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo9.jpg

obidya 11-01-2011 01:44 PM

the sound out of this thing is unreal, I hope everyone else around me has good taste in music while the top is off :)

heres the list from amazon for parts I bought:

Infinity Kappa 5.25"
Amazon.com: Infinity 529I 165W (Peak) 5-1/4 -Inch Two-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

Infinity Kappa 6.5"
Amazon.com: Infinity 629I 225W (Peak) Two-Way Spakers (Pair)- 6-1/5 x 6-3/4 -Inch: Car Electronics

MTX 5.25" front speaker brackets
Amazon.com: Speaker Bracket Pair for Jeep TJ / Wrangler 1997-UP MTX JTJ514B: Car Electronics

Boom Mat 5.25" speaker baffles
Amazon.com: DEI 050320 Boom Mat 5.25" Round Speaker Baffle - Pack of 2: Automotive

Kenwood 350w amp
Amazon.com: BRAND NEW! Kenwood KAC-1502S Stereo / Bridgeable 350 Watts 2 Channel Car Power Amplifier: Automotive

obidya 11-01-2011 01:46 PM

The whole build was relatively cheap, I actually made money after selling the equipment the previous owner had installed

KingKongFu 11-10-2011 03:37 PM

This looks sweet. Thanks for listing everything out as I am looking to do something like this myself soon.

obidya 11-30-2011 08:54 AM

just so everyone knows... your ears will break before this distorts. Paul Oakenfold with the hard top on becomes an experience.

fishhouse 11-30-2011 09:32 AM

Thanks for this post!

I'm going to use your exact setup - amp, speakers, brackets and baffles in my 2000 with a Pioneer head unit the PO installed.

I'm somewhat new to car audio, so can you tell me if there was anything else you needed to make all this happen - wire, adapters, plugs, etc?

obidya 11-30-2011 09:46 AM

speaker wire - I used 14 gauge
you'll need an RCA cable to go from the head unit to the amp, I used a monster cable.

My kenwood has an aux out on the back so I ordered these:
kenwood to aux adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K50HH6/
female mp3 Jack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144I3ZK/
USB charging socket:
Amazon.com: PAC IS43 Pannel Mount USB with Charging: Car Electronics

I am planning on mounting these in the center console above the cup holder so I can plug my iPod in and go.

SidSpider 12-12-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obidya (Post 1710623)
Infinity Kappa 6.5" (looks almost stock in the soundbar huh)
https://www.yellowtangent.com/img/ra...ep/stereo9.jpg

I'm planning on putting 6.5" Kappas in my soundbar, I was just wondering if you had to do a lot of modifications or if it was difficult?

obidya 12-13-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SidSpider (Post 1822449)
I'm planning on putting 6.5" Kappas in my soundbar, I was just wondering if you had to do a lot of modifications or if it was difficult?

they just fit, the only difference is the screw holes.

I just went out and got some self drilling/tapping sheet metal screws and called it a day. I would recommend you drill a small pilot hole for each before driving the new screws in.

It was very easy.

obidya 12-13-2011 10:02 AM

If you are going to re-wire like I did.

There are two rubber grommets on the top of the soundbar once you unzip the canvas. I just cut a small slit in each and fed the new wire in that way. and took the stock wires and taped them up and out of the way so they did not touch anything. then I just ran some duct tape across the top to hide the new wires and just lined them up with the stock wiring harness and followed that right up into the dash.

I would recommend adding some padding to the inside of the soundbar, it helped a lot.

SidSpider 12-13-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obidya
If you are going to re-wire like I did.

There are two rubber grommets on the top of the soundbar once you unzip the canvas. I just cut a small slit in each and fed the new wire in that way. and took the stock wires and taped them up and out of the way so they did not touch anything. then I just ran some duct tape across the top to hide the new wires and just lined them up with the stock wiring harness and followed that right up into the dash.

I would recommend adding some padding to the inside of the soundbar, it helped a lot.

Thanks for the advice! I am planning on running new wire so its much appreciated. I'll be sure to have some padding handy when I put in the new speakers too.

TJDrillSergeant 12-13-2011 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
8" bass tube. polk audio's in dash and sound bar and amp under back seat

obidya 12-13-2011 04:22 PM

very nice, that should sound pretty awesome

TJDrillSergeant 12-13-2011 04:27 PM

i love it. i think its better than my type r

fishhouse 12-17-2011 12:53 PM

I'm getting ready to do my install of a system just like yours - but had a few more quick questions for you:

1. What speakers did you run from the amp? Just the front 2 OR all 4 (fronts and sound bars wired in parallel)?

2. I was planning on the Kappa 6.5" 629i also for my sound bar. But my cutouts on are only around 5" wide - so don't see how I can fit a 6.5"? I must have a different soundbar then you.

To avoid the hassle of cutting, I will probably just get 4 of the 529i instead and have the same in sound bar and front dash.

Thanks again!

obidya 12-17-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishhouse (Post 1835829)
I'm getting ready to do my install of a system just like yours - but had a few more quick questions for you:

1. What speakers did you run from the amp? Just the front 2 OR all 4 (fronts and sound bars wired in parallel)?

2. I was planning on the Kappa 6.5" 629i also for my sound bar. But my cutouts on are only around 5" wide - so don't see how I can fit a 6.5"? I must have a different soundbar then you.

To avoid the hassle of cutting, I will probably just get 4 of the 529i instead and have the same in sound bar and front dash.

Thanks again!

no no man, you have the same soundbar, trust me I know its odd... but the way the stock speakers fit leaves plenty of room for the 6.5 infinities. get the 629i they will give you a more rich sound.

I ran all 4 speakers off the amp in parallel, making sure to tune the amp to the front speakers first because they are a lower power speaker.

thatch 12-21-2011 09:29 AM

I have the Kappa 62.9i for the dash and the bar. Kappa Five for the power. Not installed yet, but I'll update. 75watts RMS to the 6.5s and 300watts RMS to the sub. Probably going with two 10 inch 1060W Infinity Reference, or one 10 inch 100.9W Infinity Kappa, haven't decided. I have a JKU.

Bassman109 12-21-2011 10:21 AM

Im pretty excited about this thread. I recently fixed up a 97 TJ and it is now my daily driver. The only problem is the sound system was completely stripped out.. it doesn't even have a sound bar(which is ok by me cause I like the openness and I prefer 6x9s anyways) So that left me with a very open and blank canvas. Being a sound guy that obsesses over tone ( played bass and guitar in numerous bands for 12 years) I can't just put a roadmaster box in the back and be happy. I am still a bit of a novice in the car audio department, as car audio and pro sound applications are two completely different worlds. I ordered everything I need for my set up from crutchfield yesterday afternoon and it is all arriving today oh and shipping was free :) Christmas Early muahaha.

Here's a list of what I ordered I don't have specific links at the moment as im at work but I will post them upon request.

Pretty generic Pioneer DEH-1300mp Head Unit, 2 6x9 Infinity Kappas, 2 4x6 infinity Kappas, Kenwood KAC-5204 amp. 2 6x9 speaker boxes, ground loop isolator, an amp wiring kit, and being Crutchfield of course im also getting every conceivable wire and piece of hardware I could need.

I am going to try and mount the amp under the dash. I will be posting pics of the install.