Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   98 TJ - Burning Smell and smoke coming from serpentine belt (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/98-tj-burning-smell-and-smoke-coming-from-serpentine-belt-119400.html)

TJ_Kool 10-25-2011 12:27 AM

98 TJ - Burning Smell and smoke coming from serpentine belt

I was driving on the highway and the engine light came on 10 days back, but went away 2 days later and everything was back to normal, So i didn't bother to check anything. My wife was driving to work(2 mile round trip) for the past 1 week and she complained about a burning smell. I checked the coolant yesterday and it was completely dry, so filled the coolant. I think something might be wrong as the burning smell still continues and when i opened the hood, I saw smoke coming from the serpentine belt. Went to Advance auto parts and checked for any failure codes and everything came back good.

Any idea what could have gone wrong? I have never done any mechanical work, and I am guessing this is a major work, If so i will probably take it to a mechanic to fix it, but just want to educate myself on what to expect and how much it will cost...

I would really appreciate if experts can help me out here....:thumb:

00tj2 10-25-2011 01:15 AM

Did you fill the radiator or the overflow tank(plastic)? Is it a rubber smell or something else.... With the jeep off and the key no where near the ignition, look at the fan and what it's connected to...that is the water pump and it's shaft.... You will see it with a few hoses coming out of it.... Look around it the best you can and see if you see and fluid or white or green residue which will show if anti freeze was leaking and the dried....was it squeaking when the burning smell happened? Could also be a seized pully somewhere along the route of the belt...

Wheel2Work 10-25-2011 03:11 AM

It sounds like a siezed tensioner or idler pulley... Hasn't happened to my Jeep, but has happened on my Super Duty. Replaced the bad idler pulley & it's been fine ever since.

Rayko 10-25-2011 05:30 AM

^ x2
Same thing happened to my Explorer. Iwould bet the tensioner.

Splnkr 10-25-2011 05:31 AM

Yup, what he said. The belt will go catastrophically and rubber boogers will be everywhere! Mine was a seized alternator.

TJ_Kool 10-25-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2 (Post 1688771)
Did you fill the radiator or the overflow tank(plastic)? Is it a rubber smell or something else.... With the jeep off and the key no where near the ignition, look at the fan and what it's connected to...that is the water pump and it's shaft.... You will see it with a few hoses coming out of it.... Look around it the best you can and see if you see and fluid or white or green residue which will show if anti freeze was leaking and the dried....was it squeaking when the burning smell happened? Could also be a seized pully somewhere along the route of the belt...

I filled the overflow tank. It's a burning smell, can't tell if it's rubber. I will look at it tonight and let you guys know.. Thanks for all the input.

btw, does anyone know a reliable jeep mechanic in the DC metro area, preferably near Herndon, VA?

TJ_Kool 10-25-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheel2Work (Post 1688900)
It sounds like a siezed tensioner or idler pulley... Hasn't happened to my Jeep, but has happened on my Super Duty. Replaced the bad idler pulley & it's been fine ever since.

How can I find out if it's a siezed tensioner or idler pulley?

btw, I did not see any coolant leak, I think it was just a coincidence.

jp2611 10-25-2011 09:48 PM

loosen belt and give them all a spin---depending on the type of tensioner---it may only take a ratchet to loosen

patrico 10-26-2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ_Kool (Post 1691479)
How can I find out if it's a siezed tensioner or idler pulley?

btw, I did not see any coolant leak, I think it was just a coincidence.

turn the jeep on and look under the hood.

Garlandxj 10-26-2011 06:27 AM

Go to whatever auto parts store is close to you. Pick up a Haynes manual for your wrangler. These show step by step pictures on how to check things and show you the things you can do yourself at home and advise you which things need to be taken to a shop.

Burning smell is most likely the belt. Think of when the vacume gets clogged at home and that rubber belts starts to burn. Same thing. You have to find what is causing it.

The belt is fairly easy to look at and trace. You have the crank shaft pulley. (largest pulley at the bottom) This pulley gets its power from the engine and forces the belt to turn the other items.

1. Power Steering Pulley - Easy to find as it has 2 small hoses coming off of it and it has a plastic cap to check the power steering fluid level.
2. Altenator - Mine is on the top left hand side. Easy to spot as it has a wire running from it to the fuse box (also known as the power distribution center) that is under the hood.
3. A/C Compressor - Easy to spot mine is underneath the altenator and it has pipes that run to the inside of the jeep.
4. Tensioner Pulley - free spinning pulley that puts tension on the belt
5. Water pump pulley - Directly behind the fan

To see which one if any is causing the problem - Remove the belt then spin each pulley by hand. If one does not spin or is extremely hard to spin it is the one causing the problem. Haynes manual will show you exactly how to remove and re-install the belt.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of working on a great vehicle.

TJ_Kool 10-26-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlandxj (Post 1692444)
Go to whatever auto parts store is close to you. Pick up a Haynes manual for your wrangler. These show step by step pictures on how to check things and show you the things you can do yourself at home and advise you which things need to be taken to a shop.

Burning smell is most likely the belt. Think of when the vacume gets clogged at home and that rubber belts starts to burn. Same thing. You have to find what is causing it.

The belt is fairly easy to look at and trace. You have the crank shaft pulley. (largest pulley at the bottom) This pulley gets its power from the engine and forces the belt to turn the other items.

1. Power Steering Pulley - Easy to find as it has 2 small hoses coming off of it and it has a plastic cap to check the power steering fluid level.
2. Altenator - Mine is on the top left hand side. Easy to spot as it has a wire running from it to the fuse box (also known as the power distribution center) that is under the hood.
3. A/C Compressor - Easy to spot mine is underneath the altenator and it has pipes that run to the inside of the jeep.
4. Tensioner Pulley - free spinning pulley that puts tension on the belt
5. Water pump pulley - Directly behind the fan

To see which one if any is causing the problem - Remove the belt then spin each pulley by hand. If one does not spin or is extremely hard to spin it is the one causing the problem. Haynes manual will show you exactly how to remove and re-install the belt.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of working on a great vehicle.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation :)

Garlandxj 10-26-2011 07:16 AM

No problem. These vehicles are extremely easy to maintain. You will find that you save hundreds of dollars by doing minor repairs yourself. I have seen mechanincs charge $250 - $400 to change a water pump in a Wrangler. Water pumps start at about $45 and only take an hour of your time to install. My sister could replace the water pump on my Jeep with the haynes manual and she locks her self out of her car at least twice a year.

Good luck in finding the problem. People here are happy to help.

erickpl 10-26-2011 07:33 AM

If I had to venture a guess - if your radiator was dry/low and your serp was smoking, I'd be willing to bet your water pump went belly up and seized, keeping things from turning smoothly and the coolant to escape.

Pull off the fan, release the tensioner and pull the belt. Check each pulley for rotation, including the tensioner pulley. I'd be willing to bet your water pump will be a PITA to turn.

The water pump for a TJ, as posted above, is pretty low and swapping it out is easy. Just drain your coolant first. This is also a great time to do a flush/reverse flush and clean out your system as well as the heater core. If you're going into all of this, take the time and swap in a new thermostat correct for your TJ (including gaskets). A bit of preventative will help you greatly down the road.

TJ_Kool 10-27-2011 03:32 PM

Thanks for all your help and great suggestions. Ok, took it to 2 mechanics yesterday, It was the compressor that broke causing the smoke, the coolant was just a coincidence. One quoted 700$ and another 420$.
obviously went with the guy who quoted 420$(Compressor-279$ + labor). Replaced the serpentine belt and flushed the coolant for additional 100$.

I really wanted to do it myself, but I am really pinched for time at his time as we are going to have a baby in a month and living in a condo did not help either.

boneyabba 04-08-2013 02:42 AM

This thread doesn't seem resolved and driving my "new" 87 YJ home I had what sounds like the exact same problem. Drove about an hour on the freeway- 2k-2.5k under light load. Poured white smoke from the exhaust all the way off the offramp then was fine.

Also it is a stick.

Thoughts??

Thanks guys,
T

boneyabba 04-08-2013 02:43 AM

okay I am a knucklehead. I posted this in the wrong thread. sigh.