Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Ideas on How to stiffing Suspension? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/ideas-on-how-to-stiffing-suspension-119413.html)

cobbster 10-25-2011 04:37 AM

Ideas on How to stiffing Suspension?

I'd like to stiffing my 1997 TJ's suspention, I'm not looking to lift it but would like it tighter, any ideas or other springs / shocks I can replace the factory ones with to tighten it up?

Irongrave 10-25-2011 06:13 AM

i think OME makes a HD coil for stock height and their shocks ride very well.

Imped 10-25-2011 07:25 AM

Lose all the rubber. You're dealing with a bunch of stacked tolerances right now, which results in crappy steering and suspension response. The springs aren't your problem at all unless they really are shot. Some nice gas-charged shocks and Currie JJ's at all ends would make you a happy, happy camper.

dmcg 10-25-2011 11:31 AM

My procomp es3000 shocks are pretty stiff. Everyone on this board seems to hate on procomp stuff though. Personally, I like my shocks stiff, it allows for better cornering and highway stability. Offroad they function fine too

UnlimitedLJ04 10-25-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irongrave (Post 1689106)
i think OME makes a HD coil for stock height and their shocks ride very well.

OME doesn't make a stock height coil, and their rear N67 TJ shocks won't fit at stock height.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 1689196)
Lose all the rubber. You're dealing with a bunch of stacked tolerances right now, which results in crappy steering and suspension response. The springs aren't your problem at all unless they really are shot. Some nice gas-charged shocks and Currie JJ's at all ends would make you a happy, happy camper.

x2 on this. Get better shocks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcg (Post 1689666)
My procomp es3000 shocks are pretty stiff. Everyone on this board seems to hate on procomp stuff though. Personally, I like my shocks stiff, it allows for better cornering and highway stability. Offroad they function fine too

x2, Procomp ES3000 are reported to be kidney destroyers. So if you're looking for a stiff ride, you might try that shock. Skyjacker Nitro's are also supposed to be really stiff as well.

But I bet your shocks are just worn out, and you may find the above recommends way too stiff. Check out Bilstein's stock height shocks, Monroe Sensa-Trac's or Skyjacker Hydros.

jeepjones 10-25-2011 12:20 PM

Why would you want to stiffen it up? It's not a ferrari! This goes against everything a Jeep is or ever should be!

TJNewbie 10-25-2011 12:51 PM

I just installed a Budget boost lift kit and replaced my factory shocks with Skyjacker Hydro shocks. It did stiffen it slightly, but the ride and control was greatly improved.

Imped 10-25-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepjones (Post 1689774)
Why would you want to stiffen it up? It's not a ferrari! This goes against everything a Jeep is or ever should be!

Until you drive a tight, responsive, well-setup TJ you won't understand. Stiff does not mean uncomfortable. If anything, the ride quality and dampening is much better than a comparatively loose rig. The less movement there is in the system, the better the shocks can do their job.

I'm talking about my rig here. Nobody that has ever ridden in or driven it has ever had anything but great things to say. Low, wide, high roll axis, lightweight, and no play anywhere = a big go-cart.

WaterDR 10-25-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJNewbie
I just installed a Budget boost lift kit and replaced my factory shocks with Skyjacker Hydro shocks. It did stiffen it slightly, but the ride and control was greatly improved.

Can you explain further? I am looking at doing the same.

cobbster 10-25-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Don't want a Ferrari and not looking to design a jeep Ferrari, although it would be cool.

cobbster 10-25-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJNewbie (Post 1689833)

Same as the other guy can you give me a little more information? It sounds like what I'm looking for.

cobbster 10-25-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbster (Post 1688998)
I'd like to stiffing my 1997 TJ's suspention, I'm not looking to lift it but would like it tighter, any ideas or other springs / shocks I can replace the factory ones with to tighten it up?

Thanks for the information. My issue is It feels like am being tossed about when riding. I am getting new AT tires so I think I'll replace the shocks as well at that time, so any idea's on shocks, spring's i.e. or suggestions would be appreciated.

cobbster 10-25-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1689769)
OME doesn't make a stock height coil, and their rear N67 TJ shocks won't fit at stock height.

x2 on this. Get better shocks.

x2, Procomp ES3000 are reported to be kidney destroyers. So if you're looking for a stiff ride, you might try that shock. Skyjacker Nitro's are also supposed to be really stiff as well.

But I bet your shocks are just worn out, and you may find the above recommends way too stiff. Check out Bilstein's stock height shocks, Monroe Sensa-Trac's or Skyjacker Hydros.

Thanks I'll look into them.....Should I look a gas or just regular shocks?

TJNewbie 10-25-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterDR (Post 1690134)
Can you explain further? I am looking at doing the same.

Sure, what all would you like to know?