Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What kind of lights for offroad? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-kind-of-lights-for-offroad-119415.html)

Ilikesdoughnut 10-25-2011 07:27 AM

What kind of lights for offroad?

I'm getting a new bumper soon and windshield light mount. I want KC but I'm not sure what kind for the grill guard and windshield.

Rubicon2 10-25-2011 07:29 AM

What kind of off-road driving do you do? Desert, woods, rocks, wide open fields?

Ilikesdoughnut 10-25-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon2 (Post 1689201)
What kind of off-road driving do you do? Desert, woods, rocks, wide open fields?

I'm in East Tennessee so mountains/woods.

NewYJOwner 10-25-2011 07:47 AM

For the windshield go with long range pencil beam lights, less glare on the hood. For the bumper you can go with driving lights for a narrower longer range than stock headlight, or fog lights for a shorter wider beam.

Ilikesdoughnut 10-25-2011 08:09 AM

Can you go on this and pick out which you prefer?
KC HiLiTES Jeep Lighting, Lenses, Bulbs - Quadratec

Rolf 10-25-2011 08:21 AM

I run a pair of IPF 900S with clear lenses on my bullbar and all I can say is HOLY SHIT!

Peepers 10-25-2011 08:23 AM

I have flood lights on my bumper now and they work good with the highbeams for "distance"

If you get long range lights on your windshield for the straight aways and flood lights for the narrow twisty backwoods roads you should be fine. I ran KC 130w lights for both.

Ilikesdoughnut 10-25-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolf (Post 1689268)
I run a pair of IPF 900S with clear lenses on my bullbar and all I can say is HOLY SHIT!

I like to stick with brands I use and trust. So I'd prefer KC.

Rolf 10-25-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilikesdoughnut (Post 1689274)
I like to stick with brands I use and trust. So I'd prefer KC.

You serious?

I bet you've heard of ARB and Old Man Emu? ARB manufacturers ARB bumpers, bullbars, etc, OME suspensions and are the exclusive distributors of IPF lighting products. They are made in Japan and are of exceptional quality. If ARB associates their name with it you can be rest assured it is a great product.

IPF is a major brand outside the states, just like KC is a major brand in north america.

Jerry Bransford 10-25-2011 09:42 AM

Having owned several sets over the years, I prefer KC as well. Their warranty that even covers the bulbs no-questions-asked is hard to beat.

Personally, I like just two bumper-mounted lights... one long-range pencil beam and the other a wider coverage beam. My last TJ had a pair of 8" KC lights, one long-range and one driving light, and they worked very well. I miss those lights, I'll get another set of them when my checking account recovers. I'm no fan of windshield mounted lights, they usually just create extra glare.