Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Questions Questions Questions! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/questions-questions-questions-119760.html)

AtcoTrailsINC 10-27-2011 12:01 AM

Questions Questions Questions!

Ok i have some questions for everyone that ide like some answers and suggestions :popcorn:

First an most important, i need to do my front axle u-joints. Problem is i really dont want to rent the dang tool for 100 bucks because with my luck it will break. Ive heard of using a socket and hammer to do it but im not sure. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ok so onto the other stuff on my mind....

Ive recently decided that with gas prices going up and my pockets not getting any deeper for gas to go a new route with my TJ.
Originally i wanted 33's with a high-line the usual. Now im thinking keep it smaller at a nice set of 31's and lockers.

Ok so main question...

If i were to upgrade the stock dana35 shafts with a superior axle shaft kit and do the same for the dana 30 would running lockers in both be safe with 31's tires?

Or..

Would it be simpler and cheaper do you think to find axles from a rubicon and swap them in?

:popcorn:

GoldenSahara00 10-27-2011 12:11 AM

wow, so I just deleted my whole post on accident haha. but IMO locked with 31s on a 30/35 should be fine. can be very capable if you set it up right too!

Ujoints:
Pirate4x4.Com - Installing a Ujoint
U-Joint Replacement - 3

srad600 10-27-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldensahara00 (Post 1695319)
wow, so i just deleted my whole post on accident haha. But imo locked with 31s on a 30/35 should be fine. Can be very capable if you set it up right too!

Ujoints:
pirate4x4.com - installing a ujoint
u-joint replacement - 3

nice!

doclouie 10-27-2011 01:11 AM

Be careful as the Superior axle shafts that are a straight drop in fit for your Dana 35 are not much better than stock. It is only when you go to their c-clip eliminator kit that you can get upgraded chromolly 27 spline shafts, but the kit is like $650. Only company that I could find that had chromolly shafts for the 27 spine is Alloy USA, which are made in India.

GoldenSahara00 10-27-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 1695403)
Be careful as the Superior axle shafts that are a straight drop in fit for your Dana 35 are not much better than stock. It is only when you go to their c-clip eliminator kit that you can get upgraded chromolly 27 spline shafts, but the kit is like $650. Only company that I could find that had chromolly shafts for the 27 spine is Alloy USA, which are made in India.

I remember when you went on your search for all this stuff, so I know you know what your talking about :thumb: I would honestly LSD the rear with 31s and aussie lock the front if I were gona do it. or if I had more money ARB. if I were the OP.

sevenservices 10-27-2011 04:14 PM

once, back in 1996 I changed a set of u-joints in a ford ranger with nothing but a flathead, a phyllips and a small ball peen hammer (with half of the hammer head missing.) We had just moved into a new house, tools were still at my parents place and the truck was about jumping off the ground at 40mph because the u-joints where so bad. They even had caps missing off from them...

Yeah, it was a pain in the ass but it can be done without the tool. Having a socket slightly smaller than the caps would have made it a bit easier.

The only issue with your front shafts is that you need to pull your hubs and axle shafts to be able to do it. Set 'em on cardboard or something clean, not the cement floor if you want to keep crap out of your splines. I also picked up lifetime warrantied axle u-joints for $15.00 each, Made in USA. The standards were $10 each, def. worth an extra $5 each.

aelwero 10-27-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 1695319)

I usually use a large socket underneath, like a 1 1/8" or so... set the large socket on the floor, set the yoke on top of it so I don't stress the yoke whacking on it, and a smaller socket to push like in the link. Not sure if using the larger socket is overkill or not, but I've never broken a yoke that way...

GoldenSahara00 10-27-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 1696673)
once, back in 1996 I changed a set of u-joints in a ford ranger with nothing but a flathead, a phyllips and a small ball peen hammer (with half of the hammer head missing.) We had just moved into a new house, tools were still at my parents place and the truck was about jumping off the ground at 40mph because the u-joints where so bad. They even had caps missing off from them...

Yeah, it was a pain in the ass but it can be done without the tool. Having a socket slightly smaller than the caps would have made it a bit easier.

The only issue with your front shafts is that you need to pull your hubs and axle shafts to be able to do it. Set 'em on cardboard or something clean, not the cement floor if you want to keep crap out of your splines. I also picked up lifetime warrantied axle u-joints for $15.00 each, Made in USA. The standards were $10 each, def. worth an extra $5 each.

What brand were they, spicer?

sevenservices 10-27-2011 04:29 PM

brute force

http://www.riversidegear.com/drivesh...%2015%2006.jpg

GoldenSahara00 10-27-2011 04:35 PM

looks nice. I have been shopping for some but I have a ton of things to do, but they are on the list. Mine actually aren't bad, just old, ugly and gummed up to hell.