Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JK Grill is Plastic? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-grill-is-plastic-119972.html)

DiSH 10-28-2011 10:24 AM

JK Grill is Plastic?

Wow, just noticed it this evening. The grill is plastic. I previously owned a 2000 TJ, and the grill was steel. I love everything about my new JKU, but not so sure I like a plastic grill...just seems wrong. :confused:

jcf 10-28-2011 10:27 AM

Most things are these days, have you pushed on the hood? it's like tin foil so don't sit on it :)

rics1997 10-28-2011 10:29 AM

JK is a heavy beast. They need to cut weight everywhere they can. Most grills have gone to plastic anyways

Mr. Sinister 10-28-2011 10:31 AM

The plus side is it's easy and relatively cheap to replace if damaged, and easy to modify for lights, bumpers, etc.
But the thin sheet metal? Yeah......
Keeps the doors light, I guess.

JIMBOX 10-28-2011 10:45 AM

:whistling: It's only plastic, because that reduces the THERMOCOUPLE effect between the grill and cross frame members--

Also the "ODD" number of grill slots, seems to provide additional, "DETHERMO", for dissimilar metal galvanic effects !

Course, you already new that-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

JeeperJake 10-28-2011 10:59 AM

that's not plastic....it's a pliable commercialized form of stabilized kryptonite impervious to rust and a host of random bending events

JIMBOX 10-28-2011 11:01 AM

:angel: Rats, first liar ain't gotta chance !

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1699200)
:whistling: It's only plastic, because that reduces the THERMOCOUPLE effect between the grill and cross frame members--

Also the "ODD" number of grill slots, seems to provide additional, "DETHERMO", for dissimilar metal galvanic effects !

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperJake (Post 1699240)
that's not plastic....it's a pliable commercialized form of stabilized kryptonite impervious to rust and a host of random bending events

azyjjk 10-28-2011 11:09 AM

At least it's not "plastic chrome" thats on my Ford 350's

Firstjeep11 10-28-2011 11:49 AM

We make the grilles where I work and they may be plastic but they are taken very good care of lol

willee51 10-28-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1699200)

Jimbo, hits another note! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jim M 10-28-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiSH (Post 1699144)
Wow, just noticed it this evening. The grill is plastic. I previously owned a 2000 TJ, and the grill was steel. I love everything about my new JKU, but not so sure I like a plastic grill...just seems wrong. :confused:

No criticism intended, but what seems "wrong" about it? It's light weight, durable, cheap to produce, cheap to replace, easy to remove, and easy to modify. I actually kind of like it now that I have it.

DiSH 10-28-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim M (Post 1699807)
No criticism intended, but what seems "wrong" about it? It's light weight, durable, cheap to produce, cheap to replace, easy to remove, and easy to modify. I actually kind of like it now that I have it.

My point is that the Jeep grill is the iconic trademark of what makes a Jeep Wrangler, well, a "real Jeep". Besides changing the shape somewhat over the years, I just thought they would leave that part of it alone. I guess nothing's sacred nowadays. It's nothing to lose sleep over. I was only surprised to find it plastic.

JeeperJake 10-28-2011 05:31 PM

re: "what seems "wrong" about it? It's light weight, durable, cheap to produce, cheap to replace, easy to remove, and easy to modify. I actually kind of like it now that I have it. "

actually....that was my own response after thinking about it for a while

Mr. Sinister 10-28-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willee51 (Post 1699422)
Jimbo, hits another note! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

He's been hittin' something, that's for sure!! :rofl:

JIMBOX 10-28-2011 06:55 PM

:D-I've been trained -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 1700280)
He's been hittin' something, that's for sure!! :rofl:

Tumbleweed 10-28-2011 07:12 PM

At least we have round headlights!!!

:dance: :hide: :popcorn:

Jeep1Dennis 10-28-2011 08:40 PM

My Saturn daily driver has plastic panels all around. Be happy they didn't do that!

On the other hand - the Saturn has logged 137K miles, has seen 10 Wisconsin winters, and looks like new. Plastic has it's advantages......

Rabblerouser 10-28-2011 10:38 PM

It also leaks. . .

Aussie Jeeper 10-28-2011 11:27 PM

Sorry I'm one for the steel grille as well

recreate.me 10-28-2011 11:54 PM

What are the chances that a rock or something off the road flies into one of the 7 iconic massive openings in the grill and damages something ? It seems like that would be a common issue, but is it really ?

Jim M 10-29-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recreate.me (Post 1701351)
What are the chances that a rock or something off the road flies into one of the 7 iconic massive openings in the grill and damages something ? It seems like that would be a common issue, but is it really ?

It hasn't been a huge problem in the last 70 or so years, but it could happen. Many will install some sort of protective mesh to the openings to help protect against such things.

Jim M 10-29-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiSH (Post 1700142)
My point is that the Jeep grill is the iconic trademark of what makes a Jeep Wrangler, well, a "real Jeep". Besides changing the shape somewhat over the years, I just thought they would leave that part of it alone. I guess nothing's sacred nowadays. It's nothing to lose sleep over. I was only surprised to find it plastic.

I figured that's why you asked. If you consider what has changed since it's inception, there have been sooo many opportunities to make the argument that the "real Jeep" no longer exists. Remember, the original Jeep, let's call it the "real Jeep", was a combat vehicle. Since then it was commercialized, and a few luxury items have been added, such as heat, doors, wiper motors, a consumer radio, one piece rims, power steering, air conditioning, a hard top option, automatic transmission, and so many more.

Indeed our beloved Jeep has been the very definition of change and adaptation to modern times, which has allowed it to be the standard in off highway performance for 70 years. Embrace the change, honor the heritage, and enjoy the community. :)

DiSH 10-30-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim M (Post 1701506)
I figured that's why you asked. If you consider what has changed since it's inception, there have been sooo many opportunities to make the argument that the "real Jeep" no longer exists. Remember, the original Jeep, let's call it the "real Jeep", was a combat vehicle. Since then it was commercialized, and a few luxury items have been added, such as heat, doors, wiper motors, a consumer radio, one piece rims, power steering, air conditioning, a hard top option, automatic transmission, and so many more.

Indeed our beloved Jeep has been the very definition of change and adaptation to modern times, which has allowed it to be the standard in off highway performance for 70 years. Embrace the change, honor the heritage, and enjoy the community. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love my new Jeep, and also really love all the creature comforts the new Wranglers have. In fact, it's probably the reason that I actually own a Jeep right now, since the wife loves it as well. I don't think she would be as fond of the older Wranglers without all the "perks". As long as it still has the off-road capabilities, I can live with the plastic grill, but would prefer it to be steel if I had the choice. :thumb:

bwlyon 10-30-2011 03:32 AM

Would it have made you happier if the grill and hood where instead made out of Kevlar rather than plastic? Hmm, come to think of it, how about a one piece hood and grill with an auto tilt mechanism. Now that would be awesome..

cu in oz 10-30-2011 05:28 AM

You all HAVE given consideration to the lower radar signal havn't you? :whistling:

Its the reason we see so few JK's pulled over for speeding!.......:thumb:

ESPECIALLY 3.8's with the 6 spd and 3.21's.......p:dance::dance::dance:

Plastics = stealth and as we all know being in-de-visable has advantages:blunt::popcorn::blunt::popcorn:........ .....anybody got breakfast ready yet? :rolleyes::hide:

sneck 10-30-2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwlyon (Post 1704266)
Would it have made you happier if the grill and hood where instead made out of Kevlar rather than plastic? Hmm, come to think of it, how about a one piece hood and grill with an auto tilt mechanism. Now that would be awesome..

I always wondered if the milspec versions of the jeeps, and hummers for that matter with a softtop had kevlar instead of canvas

DiSH 10-30-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cu in oz (Post 1704304)
You all HAVE given consideration to the lower radar signal havn't you? :whistling:

Its the reason we see so few JK's pulled over for speeding!.......:thumb:

ESPECIALLY 3.8's with the 6 spd and 3.21's.......p:dance::dance::dance:

Plastics = stealth and as we all know being in-de-visable has advantages:blunt::popcorn::blunt::popcorn:........ .....anybody got breakfast ready yet? :rolleyes::hide:

Ah, now you're talking my language. A true advantage of the plastic front grill--less speeding tickets. :D

Celtic 10-30-2011 08:04 AM

Seems to work well on Corvette, reverently nicknamed the "Plastic Fantastic".

The plastic does not seem to stone chip as easily, perhaps because it gives little.

walker111 10-30-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtic (Post 1704404)
Seems to work well on Corvette, reverently nicknamed the "Plastic Fantastic".

The plastic does not seem to stone chip as easily, perhaps because it gives little.

I agree, and, when it does chip you dont have to worry about it rusting.

JIMBOX 10-30-2011 08:15 AM

:whistling: I think another (:rofl:) reason for the plastic grill, is-

It has been designed for ease of removal/installation, so it is light and can be twisted/bent/angled/bumped and the paint won't "CHIP" because of a non-solid-metal-base and it won't hold a deformity, like metal would-

Thats my story and I'm sticking with it !