Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Newb Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/newb-questions-120062.html)

WillSea 10-28-2011 10:24 PM

Newb Questions

Ok so now that I have had my jeep, 2004 rubicon, for a week and had it inspected by my local jeep dealership, everything is good by the way, and now I'm ready to plan out my build. I have begun researching bumpers and winches and also started to look at lift kits. So now I need some opinions.

Newb question 1: What the heck does a "tummy tuck" entail?

Newb question 2: What type/brand of spark plugs offer the best performance and fuel economy?

Newb question 3: Do you guys run special oil for better performance, something like amsoil?

Newb question 4: What do you guys think about the BestTop HighRock 4x4 bumpers? I like it with the grille guard and approach roller.

Newb question 5: What is the shortest lift that will accommodate 33s? (I really don't think I want to go taller then 2.5" or 3")

Newb question 6: What brand of lift will improve on road driving as well as off road?

Newb question 7: What is the $2.00 fix that will allow you to use the stock rubicon lockers while in 4 wheel high?

I think that's a good start. I will have more later.

Will

Rubicondon53 10-29-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillSea
Ok so now that I have had my jeep, 2004 rubicon, for a week and had it inspected by my local jeep dealership, everything is good by the way, and now I'm ready to plan out my build. I have begun researching bumpers and winches and also started to look at lift kits. So now I need some opinions.

Newb question 2: What type/brand of spark plugs offer the best performance and fuel economy?

Newb question 3: Do you guys run special oil for better performance, something like amsoil?

Newb question 4: What do you guys think about the BestTop HighRock 4x4 bumpers? I like it with the grille guard and approach roller.

Newb question 5: What is the shortest lift that will accommodate 33s? (I really don't think I want to go taller then 2.5" or 3")

Newb question 6: What brand of lift will improve on road driving as well as off road?

Newb question 7: What is the $2.00 fix that will allow you to use the stock rubicon lockers while in 4 wheel high?

I think that's a good start. I will have more later.

Will

I have an 04 with 2" of " prothane" spring lift, 1" "prothane"body lift, JKS discos with 255/85/16s, and no rubbing at all, after washering out the steering stops.. Took all the rubber and plastic off of the stock bumpers and kept them... They are light, strong, and cheap to replace if you do bash em, or beatem back out with a sledge.. I've been using NGK plugs for years. And run Mobil 1 in my engine,, synthetic marine grade grease in my gun, and synthetics throughout my drive train. A belly up skid plate will gain you about 2 " of clearance for $350 bucks... I'll get one of those someday when I have nothing better to do with my money..

InvertChaos 10-29-2011 08:58 AM

It raises the transmission/tcase and gives you a high clearance skid plate. You know that shovel looking thing hanging beneath your jeep? Imagine that nearly flush with the frame. It gives you ~3" more clearance underneath your jeep, the equivalent of running a 37" tire on x" of lift. What you do need is new adjustable upper control arms to set your pinion angle and possibly a longer drive shaft depending. Also a small body lift may be required depending on which skid you go with.

IMO you won't see a performance increase due to oil. Just change it regularly.

You could go no lift and use flat fenders or the AEV highline kit, but its expensive and you need to do some cutting.

4" is "recommended" but if your bumpstopped properly it won't be an issue. You can do a 2"-3" suspension lift and a 1-1.25" body lift (which would work nicely with a tummy tuck) and run 33s. I actually use a 2.5" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift myself.

I don't have the complete kit, but I have heard great things about OME. I actually just swapped on a set of their shocks and they are awesome compared to my old one. Its a very controlled ride and feels really stable with minimal body roll. DPG Off-road packages together an OME suspension kit and a 1" body lift for 33" tires.

I don't have a Rubicon so I can't answer this fully, but I remember it had something to do with a relay, should be a cheap mod

WillSea 10-29-2011 10:18 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to order some cosmetic stuff this week and keep looking for a good winch deal. I may add an OME steering stabilizer this week as well.