Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   track bar-first time owner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/track-bar-first-time-owner-120173.html)

ducatikid749 10-29-2011 06:23 PM

track bar-first time owner

hello!

Newb here. I've always loved wranglers and after buying a car that's just a couple inches off the ground as my daily driver I finally felt like I had a good enough excuse to buy one.

Anyhow, I went through the car pretty thoroughly and it seems like I got a great deal. The only thing it actually needs right now (or so I'm told) is the front track bar.

The steering wheel is far from center and after an alignment attempt and a quick visit to the Jeep dealership I was told that's what I needed.

I'm not planning on modifying the vehicle any time soon with the exception of some tires, maybe wheels, and some other cosmetic stuff.

So my question is: Where is the best place to purchase a new one? Is this one of those things where it's better to go the aftermarket route?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jerry Bransford 10-29-2011 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unless you've mixed up the track bar and drag link terms or the track bar is bent, you adjust the length of the drag link via its short length adjustment sleeve to straighten the steering wheel.

Find the drag link in the below photo, which is connected to the steering box's Pitman Arm, then locate the short sleeve clamped in place onto it with two bolts. Loosen those two bolts and with a big set of pliers, rotate that sleeve until the steering wheel is centered.

If the steering wheel is rotated too far to the right when you are driving straight ahead, that means the drag link is a bit too short and needs to be lengthened. Visa-versa if the steering wheel is rotated too far to the left.

4Jeepn 10-29-2011 06:34 PM

Well you can get a new one however if the steering wheel is off you can also just adjust the drag link. TJ Toe-in Alignment - 1 About half way done there is a picture of it.
If you need a new one, You might consider an adjustable one, that way if you ever lift it you will be set. I think several of our site vendors can help ya out.

patrat81 10-29-2011 06:48 PM

Just got mine yesterday from advanceautoparts.com it was $86 for the trw brand and got 20% off with a promo they had on the web site. Easy install and centered everything up with out me having to make adjustments

Skyhawk32 10-29-2011 07:32 PM

And it's not a car. It's a JEEP. (grin)

TJspeed 10-29-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyhawk32 (Post 1703132)
And it's not a car. It's a JEEP. (grin)

What he said!! :thumb: :D

ducatikid749 10-29-2011 10:05 PM

cool, thanks.

I'll check it out sometime next week. I did get it on an alignment rack and it's definitely not the alignment so hopefully I can just do some adjusting.

Any other suggestions on a new one?