Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   The Jeepers Code??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/the-jeepers-code-120416.html)

87_WhyJay 10-31-2011 12:11 AM

The Jeepers Code???

I'm a NUBE to this forum, but I am not a NUBE to Jeeping. I have been driving my Wrangler for 13 years. It has gone from stock to modified. I just read the thread on the "Jeep Wave". Many years ago, that wave meant something between Jeepers and EVERY Jeeper waved at every other, WITHOUT FAIL!! What it used to mean was to assure each other that IF you need any help, I will be there to help you! Back then, you would never see any Jeeper drive past another jeeper stopped on the shoulder of the road without stopping to ask if help was needed. I find that less than 50% of the Jeepers wave these days which makes me worry, whether they would stop to render assistance if I needed it. :thumb:

25 years ago, 90% of the Big Rig drivers were what I called the White Nights of the road and would stop to assist if the road permitted. Ten years ago, you would NEVER see a Jeeper drive past another Jeep stopped on the shoulder of the road, without stopping to see if they could help. Just the other day, I was on the shoulder reading my GPS, and two people driving Jeeps (I won’t even call them Jeepers) drove right past me without ever looking twice! :surrender:

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE JEEPERS CODE? Has this country gotten so scared that even Jeepers won't stop to help another Jeeper? Are we so worried about our own problems, that we don't even concern ourselves with a fellow Jeeper that might need our help? Are we running scared because of 9-11? What's UP with this??? :hide:

Anybody else getting the same felling these days?

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 12:13 AM

Idk. Im sorry no one stopped! That really sucks. Last summer I was in my buddy's tj when he broke down, the first one to come to check on us was a follow Wrangler, the second was a Cherokee. Maybe it was just two butt head 'jeepers' :(

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 12:37 AM

The times....they are a changing

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 12:39 AM

Let's face it, most people won't stop now a days cuz they don't trust anyone.. Idk if I blame them.

RatherBNarizona 10-31-2011 01:09 AM

I try to stop for Jeepers and women, although I am careful about when I do stop. Sadly, I can't trust everyone anymore, although there are a ton of great people out there. Just yesterday an older women came up to me at the gas station, I thought she was going to ask me for money. Turns out, she barely spoke English and had never worked a gas bump before (odd, I know) and didn't understand the directions, so I taught her how to do it as her kids looked on. She was very excited at the end of it, made my day. :)

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNarizona
I try to stop for Jeepers and women, although I am careful about when I do stop. Sadly, I can't trust everyone anymore, although there are a ton of great people out there. Just yesterday an older women came up to me at the gas station, I thought she was going to ask me for money. Turns out, she barely spoke English and had never worked a gas bump before (odd, I know) and didn't understand the directions, so I taught her how to do it as her kids looked on. She was very excited at the end of it, made my day. :)

:thumb: more people need to be like you. I'll admit as a girl, Im waaaaaaay more skiddish when it comes to those situations. I can handle myself just fine but, you know... the world today... its not as safe as it once was.

RatherBNarizona 10-31-2011 01:19 AM

I know approaching a woman, especially in a situation like that, she knows she is vulnerable, so I try to make her as comfortable as possible. I am pretty relaxed, but I don't want to scare her if she sees a weapon that I have (work and live in a bad part of town). I try to crack jokes and treat them like I treat my sister, just talking. I like the older ladies, they seem a lot more comfortable with strangers, and love talking to people, so they just go on and on about life lol. :)

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 01:21 AM

Well more people need to be like you! :thumb: at least there are still nice people out there.

87_WhyJay 10-31-2011 02:28 AM

Well, I not only stop for Jeepers, I stop for everybody on the side of the road unless they are talking on the phone when I pass or have help already there. BUT, I do have a CCW in my Jeep if I need it. I also have a LOT of experience in reading people and their body language. I am very comfortable in doing this and I do understand that you CAN'T stop for everybody. It just isn't safe.. BUT that being said, Jeepers used to be a cut above the average motorist in their bravery and generosity. I guess it might be that Jeeps are so fun that more of the AVERAGE motorist are getting into Jeeping. I just wish they all would adopt the 'OLD JEEPERS CODE'!!

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 02:34 AM

I think that there are more people in jeeps nowadays that don't understand the whole "it's a jeep thing"(that's not a JK bash, I understand there are Jeepers in JK's). I think tradition is a thing of the past for most Americans these days.

Siren Assassin 10-31-2011 02:37 AM

Like that road that goes north through Nevada. A jerk murders people that have car trouble. Things like that make a lot of people skiddish.... We live in a world that is on the brink of complete destruction... Sad but true. And everyone always has their own selfish agenda... :(

jkaufman_95 10-31-2011 03:12 AM

I always stop for another wrangler. I've gotten mixed reactions. Mostly "thanks bud!" Or "I've got it but thanks anyway!" i had one guy tell me to f*** off. I apologized and remember what his jeep looks like so next time I won't be helping him if he really needs it.

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil
I think that there are more people in jeeps nowadays that don't understand the whole "it's a jeep thing"(that's not a JK bash, I understand there are Jeepers in JK's). I think tradition is a thing of the past for most Americans these days.

As a JKer I agree. Alot of those preppy jerks don't know anything about their vehicle and what it means.

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 (Post 1706860)
As a JKer I agree. Alot of those preppy jerks don't know anything about their vehicle and what it means.

I didn't know you drove a JK:nonono:
I just lost all respect for you:rofl::rofl:

J/K :flowers:

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil

I didn't know you drove a JK:nonono:
I just lost all respect for you:rofl::rofl:

J/K :flowers:

For the record, mine actually has seen what its like to go offroad. I wave to other jeeps, and I fully intend to mod her the hell out and she will NOT be a mall crawler. No no Lol

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 (Post 1706871)
For the record, mine actually has seen what its like to go offroad. I wave to other jeeps, and I fully intend to mod her the hell out and she will NOT be a mall crawler. No no Lol

Iz sorry:( that was a poor attempt at bringing the funneh

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 04:28 AM

Oh no I take the jokes, they amuse me, but that's cuz I'm not just some jerk who bought one to 'look cool' you know those jerks that should have just bought a hummer. Lmao :)

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 (Post 1706874)
Oh no I take the jokes, they amuse me, but that's cuz I'm not just some jerk who bought one to 'look cool' you know those jerks that should have just bought a hummer. Lmao :)

I actually learned tonight while looking for stuff on craigslist...they made a tactical H3:rofl::rofl:

fan of fanboys 10-31-2011 04:33 AM

In actuality America is safer than ever and we have less crime. No safer time to stop and help somebody. What's changed is the coverage of crime. Didn't have twenty 24 hour news channels in 1950. We see and hear more than ever before.

Siren Assassin 10-31-2011 07:04 AM

Then why are places like Vegas at a all time high with crime lately? Not exactly less crime when its one of the highest in the country. How can that be lower? Lol

daggo66 10-31-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 1706818)
i had one guy tell me to f*** off. I apologized and remember what his jeep looks like so next time I won't be helping him if he really needs it.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was you. :D

fan of fanboys 10-31-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren Assassin
Then why are places like Vegas at a all time high with crime lately? Not exactly less crime when its one of the highest in the country. How can that be lower? Lol

Omg lol. Wish I could live without facts like you.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/05...ix-key-reasons

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...963761,00.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime..._United_States

In 2009 America's crime rate was roughly the same as in 1968, with the homicide rate being at its lowest level since 1964. Overall, the national crime rate was 3466 crimes per 100,000 residents, down from 3680 crimes per 100,000 residents forty years earlier in 1969 (-9.4%).[1]

http://www.racematters.org/youthcrim...nemediaopp.htm

First, the news media report crime, particularly violent crime, far out of proportion to its actual occurrence. While the national crime rate dropped by 20 percent from 1990 to 1998, there was an 83 percent increase in the amount of crime coverage on network television. During the same time period, the national homicide rate was down by almost 33 percent; yet network news coverage of homicide jumped 473 percent. Homicides account for about .1 percent to .2 percent of all arrests in America, yet approximately 28 percent of all crimes reported on the nightly news are homicides.

Lol

fan of fanboys 10-31-2011 08:09 AM

So always use caution when approaching a stranger. But have some faith in your fellow man. Vast majority are good people.

When I stop to help someone before I get out I send quick text to wife with make/model/color of vehicle and license plate. Takes 20 seconds and gives police a lead if needed in a worse case type scenario.

jkaufman_95 10-31-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

Sorry, I didn't realize it was you. :D

It was a yj daggo :p

JIMBOX 10-31-2011 10:24 AM

:rolleyes: I was gonna post on this thread-but

I've changed my mind-

:nonono::nonono: JIMBO

87_WhyJay 10-31-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 1707090)
So always use caution when approaching a stranger. But have some faith in your fellow man. Vast majority are good people.

When I stop to help someone before I get out I send quick text to wife with make/model/color of vehicle and license plate. Takes 20 seconds and gives police a lead if needed in a worse case type scenario.

That is a great idea. I will remember that next time I help somebody.

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87_WhyJay

That is a great idea. I will remember that next time I help somebody.

:thumb: its brilliant.

jp2611 10-31-2011 09:23 PM

Frequently stop--but grew up in the "bad part of the 'hood" ---even the shady ones will treat with respect or (always have so far) if treated with respect.

But I usually pull alongside and holler out the window---let them take it from there. No pressure --no putting myself in dangerous situation unable to flee--if needed and not committed to staying--easier to go actually

If assistance is needed, and I am comfortable, I will than park the Jeep, and get tow strap or tools.

Jeepers code = Good Samaritan

87_WhyJay 10-31-2011 10:28 PM

Hey GJG87, I just thought of one even quicker than that... :doh:
I just got my first smart phone. I would say 90% of the phones out there have a camera. It would be that much quicker to just take the phone out, snap a quick pic of the car across the hood, and hang on to that until the assist is over and done with. No fumbling with dyslexia'ed keys.(yea, I got it bad) Just snap a pic and go. 3-5 seconds.

BUT, I also like JP2611's idea of making initial contact still in the drivers seat, in gear, ready to SPLIT if needed. Beats shooting them and having to answer to "THE MAN" about why you were there..

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87_WhyJay
Hey GJG87, I just thought of one even quicker than that... :doh:
I just got my first smart phone. I would say 90% of the phones out there have a camera. It would be that much quicker to just take the phone out, snap a quick pic of the car across the hood, and hang on to that until the assist is over and done with. No fumbling with dyslexia'ed keys.(yea, I got it bad) Just snap a pic and go. 3-5 seconds.

BUT, I also like JP2611's idea of making initial contact still in the drivers seat, in gear, ready to SPLIT if needed. Beats shooting them and having to answer to "THE MAN" about why you were there..

Very valid point!