Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   Just got a TJ! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/just-got-a-tj-120418.html)

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 01:45 AM

Just got a TJ!
 
Hello Everyone! I'm brand new around here, and I thought I'd say hi!

I'm an XJ owner who finally found a great deal and picked up a 2001 TJ (01 TJ , 115,500, Bestop supertop that leaks, 3(?) inch lift (skyjacker?) on 33s)... It's got a few bumps and bruises, but overall I am rather excited at experiencing what a wrangler can do (having loved my 2 XJs, but never having the ability to take the top off without heavy equipment :)).

I simply love the fact that this site is full of dedicated owners and fans from all walks of life, ready to share stories and advice on all issues commonplace for wranglers...

That being said, any advice for a new TJ owner? Even a normal "hey, I wish I knew that when I got my jeep." type of advice... for example I live closer to DC so knowing just how normal items "walk away" from autos around here I basically can't keep my backseat full of T-shirts like I do my XJ that has the aftermarket alarm...

Any advice pertaining to TJs, Wranglers, or life is always appreciated....

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 01:46 AM

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 01:48 AM

My advice treat her right and she'll treat you just as right

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 01:49 AM

Thanks :)

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 01:52 AM

If you don't treat your jeep right, she'll get you in the end (ohhhhhhhh how I know those words....)

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgrimjeeper
If you don't treat your jeep right, she'll get you in the end (ohhhhhhhh how I know those words....)

:thumb:

RatherBNarizona 10-31-2011 02:02 AM

Welcome! Most people don't leave any valuables in the Jeep, and if you have a soft top, most leave it unlocked (although idiots do still slash tops... even though the zipper is on the outside).

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNarizona (Post 1706705)
Welcome! Most people don't leave any valuables in the Jeep, and if you have a soft top, most leave it unlocked (although idiots do still slash tops... even though the zipper is on the outside).


I have never understood that:banghead::banghead:

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil

I have never understood that:banghead::banghead:

People are scum. It's simple. :)

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 (Post 1706713)
People are scum. It's simple. :)


I know, someone stole my change cup outta my jeep at work a couple of months ago. So now I don't drive it to work with the doors off anymore:(

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil

I know, someone stole my change cup outta my jeep at work a couple of months ago. So know I don't drive it to work with the doors off anymore:(

I keep my change in an empty gum 'big e pack' Lmao, no ones gone after it....yet...

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 (Post 1706745)
I keep my change in an empty gum 'big e pack' Lmao, no ones gone after it....yet...


Mine was in a nice insulated Auburn cup:mad: I was more pissed about the cup rather than the change

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 03:29 AM

It's a real shame that some of society never learned the proper respect for personal property (as for me, I had a great set of parents who drilled that idea into me at an early age ;) ). I had a general idea that when driving the wrangler I was going to drive around with bare necessities, aka just me...

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 03:30 AM

Do you still have the 79 Cherokee in your sig?

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 03:39 AM

Sure do, a 79 wide track S with quadratrac, around 162,000, and the rear window still works! It has it's problems and the body work looks funky, but I love it to death. I put on a Jacobs mile master (just to erk out a few miles to the gallon) some custom bumpers some old jeep guy had sitting in his basement for 20 plus years, new tires (33s) and then fixed the rotted floorboards that the previous owner had let rust away... I love that thing (even if it continues to make strange noises every other day)

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgrimjeeper (Post 1706800)
Sure do, a 79 wide track S with quadratrac, around 162,000, and the rear window still works! It has it's problems and the body work looks funky, but I love it to death. I put on a Jacobs mile master (just to erk out a few miles to the gallon) some custom bumpers some old jeep guy had sitting in his basement for 20 plus years, new tires (33s) and then fixed the rotted floorboards that the previous owner had let rust away... I love that thing (even if it continues to make strange noises ever other day)

Any pics?
:drool: I would love to find a 79 Chief/Cherokee/Wagoneer. Put a Cummings 4bt and a Gladiator grille on it :drool:

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 03:48 AM

I've got a few pics here on this computer, but for some reason I can't upload any pics tonight... I've even rescaled them down to the correct size for posting. I'll keep at it. You're idea though, sounds downright fantastic!

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 03:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Kinda like this, but the guy wants $19,000 for it

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 04:00 AM

Whoa... $19,000? I understand that people restore the old waggies, but this isn't wagonmasters. Well, he's free to ask what he wants, it is his rig, even if I'd just shake my head and chuckle a little... It does look damn good though.
Yeah, the S is a two door, green, and it has those long sloping windows in the back, but a four door full size jeep with that grill set up would be nice. I was lucky, seeing that the custom bumper (no idea who made it) had a brush guard built into it to cover the 79 grill. I like the grill but it never did look as impressive as the old gladiator stock, or even the egg crate grill of the early 70s. The razor grill and the late 91 looked good, but nothing can beat that gladiator set up. I just left the 79 grill in, and enjoyed the brush guard. :)

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 04:07 AM

Granted the guy did a bit of motor work, but still that is a little to much IMO. I would love to have one as a boat puller/camping rig. I read a thread on 4btswaps where a guy was getting close to 30mpg with the 4bt:drool:

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 04:11 AM

30 mpg with 4bt? That would be fantastic! I could do that, provided that I only drive downhill lol :)

blkrubi88 10-31-2011 04:20 AM

Welcome!

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 04:23 AM

I think this is the thread, or I just imagined it b/c I was trying to justify it to myself:rofl:

1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4bt

JDsDream 10-31-2011 04:36 AM

Welcome to the Forum

With the flat windshields being rock magnets and the fact that they are a target for theives who are too lazy to open the door or unzip the window, you might want to consider dropping your comp insurance deductable down to 0. It doesn't raise your rate that much (I think mine went up 10.00/year).

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 04:40 AM

All I can say is wow... I didn't read every comment on that thread, but wow. Had I tired such an ambitious project I'm sure I would have killed myself by dropping the front clip on my foot, or burned the car to a crisp due to faulty wiring. What a rig... no wonder lol. Great, now I have more ideas of projects that may or may not ever come to fruition. LOL... my mechanical and welding skills seem puny when compared to that guy!

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 04:42 AM

Thanks for the tip JD! I'll look into that immediately :)

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgrimjeeper (Post 1706838)
All I can say is wow... I didn't read every comment on that thread, but wow. Had I tired such an ambitious project I'm sure I would have killed myself by dropping the front clip on my foot, or burned the car to a crisp due to faulty wiring. What a rig... no wonder lol. Great, now I have more ideas of projects that may or may not ever come to fruition. LOL... my mechanical and welding skills seem puny when compared to that guy!


Yeah it amazes me the ability some folks have. I fully expect pics tonight when I get back to work:D.
I think I might have found one. It's just a little more than I want to pay for a project
1979 Jeep grand wagoneer

Sorry for the thread hijack:rofl:

Dgrimjeeper 10-31-2011 05:05 AM

LOL... don't think of it as a hijack, more of a quick reminder to all the wrangler owners that these big FSJs garner adoration from those of us who work on them and enjoy them. I like that new link... take a look, perhaps you could talk him down a bit, you never know. I talked the previous owner of the 79 down 500 bucks simply because I had cash, and his wife was nagging him to get it out of his driveway. Goodness knows that if I picked up another jeep project my girl would kill me... :D

gixxerphil 10-31-2011 05:08 AM

I just always wanted a jeep from my birth year. I may try to ride over Wed when I'm coming off my work week. I don't think I have ever actually been in a Waggy.

greenjeepgurl87 10-31-2011 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil
I just always wanted a jeep from my birth year.

Same here. My friends think Im weird..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.