Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   HELP! my jeep is stuck in 2nd. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/help-my-jeep-is-stuck-in-2nd-12054.html)

hemmer 10-02-2007 11:36 PM

HELP! my jeep is stuck in 2nd.

went to pull friend out of mudhole in some field. put in reverse, started pullin, hear loud screech/grind. realize im screwed unhook chains put in first haul through the mudhole for the other side since it would not go in reverse any more. im making it, go for 2nd and nothing. no power, rpms fly, and now im in some valley down by a pond. stuck in second it wont go to nuetral. but it will go out of 4 hi and low. and into 4 nuetral.

well my buddys turbo diesel broke traction and couldnt pull my jeep out. i think we need a tractor since im stuck in gear. the jeep moved probly 3-4 feet before the diesel lost traction.

any way i can get it into nuetral so we can get it out? what happened is it clutch or synchros?

jeeperman 10-03-2007 12:23 AM

Put the transfer case in neutral. This will allow both driveshafts to spin freely. Sounds like a toasted transmission to me. Bad damage if you can't shift gears when the Jeep isn't running.

TeeJay 10-03-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemmer (Post 144787)
went to pull friend out of mudhole in some field. put in reverse, started pullin, hear loud screech/grind. realize im screwed unhook chains put in first haul through the mudhole for the other side since it would not go in reverse any more. im making it, go for 2nd and nothing. no power, rpms fly, and now im in some valley down by a pond. stuck in second it wont go to nuetral. but it will go out of 4 hi and low. and into 4 nuetral.

well my buddys turbo diesel broke traction and couldnt pull my jeep out. i think we need a tractor since im stuck in gear. the jeep moved probly 3-4 feet before the diesel lost traction.

any way i can get it into nuetral so we can get it out? what happened is it clutch or synchros?

Your T-case still goes into Neutral from the sound of things. Drop that into neutral and tow it out that way. It sounds like you've got some serious problems. Tell me more about your Jeep? What year? Miles? Lift? Tires? How long has it been set up like this? The more we all know the more we can help. (I think I speak for all of us)

hemmer 10-03-2007 08:55 AM

well it still runs. but its stuck in second and you can let the clutch out and nothing happens. its a 97 2.5, no lift, 31x10.5's and its got 84,500 miles.

hemmer 10-03-2007 04:05 PM

ok i think tonight after work im gonna go down there and unbolt the driveshaft. that should make it roll and then the duramax shouldnt have a problem pullin it out. anybody know what size socket im gonna need?

mud707 10-03-2007 04:13 PM

Why unbolt it. You said it can shift into 4 neutral right. All you should have to do is pull the lever up from 4hi into what you call 4neutral (in between 4 hi and 4lo) and have someone pull you out.

hemmer 10-03-2007 04:35 PM

you may be right. so will 4 nuetral cancel out the fact that its stuck in 2nd?

Triple88a 10-03-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemmer (Post 145074)
you may be right. so will 4 nuetral cancel out the fact that its stuck in 2nd?

Yeah. pretty much putting the Tcase in Neutral will virtually "disconnect" the wheels from the transmission and the engine so everything can spin freely.

acopsy88 10-04-2007 01:33 AM

i second that^^^

hemmer 10-04-2007 10:44 PM

well the 4 nuetral worked. thanks for the help.

i ended up having to pay for a tow truck to come get it. and it seems that my 4 wheel drive hasnt worked since i bought it because somebody messed with the front end on the jeep and i didnt know about that. and the problem might be something with the transfer case since the clutch and input shaft still spin.

Triple88a 10-05-2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemmer (Post 145914)
and the problem might be something with the transfer case since the clutch and input shaft still spin.

Well can you get the rig out of 2nd gear even when its off? If not then it has to do something with the tranny. The tcase is basically bolted on to an "external" shaft of the tranny so the tcase has no effect on the transmission (besides slightly different shift rpms on auto trannies):eek: