Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   15" MB 72's on a 2012 JKU (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/15-mb-72s-on-a-2012-jku-120655.html)

Anonymark 11-01-2011 03:13 PM

15" MB 72's on a 2012 JKU
 
I searched and didn't find anyone running these on a 2012 JKU. I'm waiting for my 2012 Black Forest Green Sport S to come in and am seriously considering having new wheels and tires ready to swap when it gets here.

I'm looking at

MB 72's 15"

MB Wheels 72 custom rims

and 33" Goodyear DuraTracs 33x12.5

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires


Has anyone tried this on a 2012 yet?

Will I need to grind the brake calipers for 15" wheels on a 2012.

I been lusting after the black on black look and the MB's look nice.

MTH 11-01-2011 03:25 PM

They fit the 2007-2011 with no grinding or spacers required, and I don't think there's been any changes to the 2012s brakes. So yes, I'd expect they'd fit.

ESP 11-01-2011 04:02 PM

I think they will fit with no problems. I don't believe the calipers are different in size for the 2 doors vs the 4 doors unless they've changed it for the 2012s. PM discount tire direct on here. They are a forum member and make sure.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5415/p1010948u.jpg

Anonymark 11-01-2011 04:27 PM

ESP123,

I PM'd them and will probably order a set of 5, exactly like yours. By the way, it was your Jeep that convinced me to go with them and the 15/33 combo.

On a side note: Does anyone want a set of 2012 17" Sport S tires that will have under 10 miles on them? :)

recreate.me 11-23-2011 11:05 PM

haha his thread did it for me too... I am thinking of that combo as well.
I think the part that got me was the increased gas mileage.. maybe a fluke, but its forced me to really examine wheels for the best on all aspects.

Also, what does "19" backspacing refer too? I have only seen that in inches and i know thats not what this is...

Barmanvarn 11-23-2011 11:19 PM

You may have convinced me as well, at least as far as the tires go. I may shop around for a different wheel though.

Hopefully I can sell my current wheels and tires for a decent price to recoup some cash.

rics1997 11-23-2011 11:30 PM

It's 19mm offset not backspacing. Even though both let you know how the wheel will set on the vehicle, they are measured differently. Backspace is in inches and is measured from the back side of the wheel from the center to the outside edge. Offset is measured in millimeters and is measured from the offset from center of the wheel.

SeaComms 11-24-2011 05:44 AM

Why one is measured in inches and the other millimetres is beyond me! 25.4mm to 1in, so 19mm is close enough to 3/4 inch, resulting in a 3.75in back space on an 8in rim.

This is the stock 17in alloys on the JK (picture is worth a thousand words :) :

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...heeloffset.jpg

DonC72 11-24-2011 07:36 AM

ESP, did you need bumpstops?

ESP 11-24-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonC72 (Post 1768735)
ESP, did you need bumpstops?

Yes. I installed the bumpstops from my TF 2.5 coil kit because the 33x12.5R15s stick out a good bit from the flares and might have rubbed into the flare when pushed enough. I like the way they look too. :D

DonC72 11-24-2011 09:12 AM

So I will need a set since I ordered the same exact tires?

ESP 11-24-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonC72 (Post 1768860)
So I will need a set since I ordered the same exact tires?

Bumpstops limit the upward front/rear axle travel. Sway links limit the downward travel. You do not need them to run the wheel/tires your getting. You need them with a 2.5 height lift however and most kits come with them. You don't need anything but the wheels/tires your getting to run them. Are you still planning a lift though?

DonC72 11-24-2011 09:17 AM

yes, 1.5 inch levelling kit with the same wheels you have there. I had the wrong terminology. I meant the parts for the rear tire carrier for the non stock wheel. My bad.

ESP 11-24-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonC72 (Post 1768867)
yes, 1.5 inch levelling kit with the same wheels you have there. I had the wrong terminology. I meant the parts for the rear tire carrier for the non stock wheel. My bad.

Gotcha :thumb: No I don't have any bumpstops for the rear carrier and it has not come into contact with anything back there. When are yours coming in?

DonC72 11-24-2011 09:29 AM

Should be Dec 1 or 2. I will have a few pics of before and after, but I might be popping them on before the lift, I don't have time to get it to a shop. ;(

Not sure how fast I will get the 5 tires on with just me and a hilift and some chocks, but I will get it done!

crotchrocket 11-24-2011 11:32 AM

How is the ride with this setup? Mine is daily driver...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymark (Post 1710808)
I searched and didn't find anyone running these on a 2012 JKU. I'm waiting for my 2012 Black Forest Green Sport S to come in and am seriously considering having new wheels and tires ready to swap when it gets here.

I'm looking at

MB 72's 15"

MB Wheels 72 custom rims

and 33" Goodyear DuraTracs 33x12.5

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires


Has anyone tried this on a 2012 yet?

Will I need to grind the brake calipers for 15" wheels on a 2012.

I been lusting after the black on black look and the MB's look nice.


Anonymark 11-24-2011 12:07 PM

Crotchrocket,

Mine aren't due in until next week, the MB72's were backordered. I just picked up my Jeep yesterday and put some miles on the stock tires. I'll post some pics and update this thread once I get the tires on....Can't wait.

Barmanvarn 11-25-2011 10:44 AM

Hope this helps....

I spoke w/ Earl (ext 51880) at DTD. According to him, the 15" MB 72s will fit a 2012 w/out interference from the brake caliper.


Be aware that the only availbe BS would be 3.25". He also stated that they are only showing 1 in stock right now as since the manufacturer is closed today, he won't be able to find out the availability until Monday. He says we can still get the Black Friday discount if we order Monday.


So give Earl a call on Monday and he'll hook you up.

Anonymark 12-03-2011 06:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the tires Wednesday and got them bolted on Thursday. Here's a few pics. They are not the greatest, but the show the look on a 4 door

Attachment 81111



Attachment 81112


ESP123 or anyone else running this setup, do you get a "jump" on occasion? Since putting these on, I get what feels like a really quick "Jump" or like something catches for a brief second. Not sure how else to describe it. I don't see anything rubbing and the calipers seem to be fine...not sure what it is.

Overall, ride is smooth, no issues at highway speed, and after calibrating with the AEV Procal, speedometer is accurate. I did air down, cold, to 28 PSI.

DonC72 12-03-2011 08:19 PM

Looks great! What lift? I am getting my lift put on Tues and the wheels should be delivered tues as well. I'll post pics of my Sahara 4 when it's all done!

ESP 12-03-2011 08:57 PM

Looking good. I approve. :thumb:

No jumping or hesitation for me.

Chigger 12-03-2011 09:23 PM

That looks fantastic!

I can't wait to get mine. Oh and my jeep too.

Good luck with them

kjeeper10 12-03-2011 09:36 PM

:thumb:

kenb1023 12-04-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymark (Post 1796051)
Got the tires Wednesday and got them bolted on Thursday. Here's a few pics. They are not the greatest, but the show the look on a 4 door

Attachment 81111



Attachment 81112


ESP123 or anyone else running this setup, do you get a "jump" on occasion? Since putting these on, I get what feels like a really quick "Jump" or like something catches for a brief second. Not sure how else to describe it. I don't see anything rubbing and the calipers seem to be fine...not sure what it is.

Overall, ride is smooth, no issues at highway speed, and after calibrating with the AEV Procal, speedometer is accurate. I did air down, cold, to 28 PSI.

Love it. I have decided to go with the MB Black Chaos 5 instead for the 72s. Thought the little bit of polished on the bead will set them off against the black of the JKU. Went to Discount Tire for a price quote and learned GY increased the price so the out the door with tire and wheel is now $1934 and change. While shopping with the wife at Samís Club I found they too sell the GY Duratracks and can get them for me at $1086 and change. Thatís a $265 savings but would rather have the wheels and tires come from the same place so need to see if DT will come close to the Samís price.

MTH 12-04-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenb1023
Love it. I have decided to go with the MB Black Chaos 5 instead for the 72s. Thought the little bit of polished on the bead will set them off against the black of the JKU. Went to Discount Tire for a price quote and learned GY increased the price so the out the door with tire and wheel is now $1934 and change. While shopping with the wife at Sam’s Club I found they too sell the GY Duratracks and can get them for me at $1086 and change. That’s a $265 savings but would rather have the wheels and tires come from the same place so need to see if DT will come close to the Sam’s price.

Huh? What size tire/wheel? I just bought 5 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs from DT for $185 each, and that's before the $140 in rebates I'll get from Goodyear and Tread Lightly. :confused:

kjeeper10 12-04-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

Huh? What size tire/wheel? I just bought 5 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs from DT for $185 each, and that's before the $140 in rebates I'll get from Goodyear and Tread Lightly. :confused:

Beat me toit :confused:

Btw most price match/do better anyhow ??

kenb1023 12-04-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1797307)
Huh? What size tire/wheel? I just bought 5 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs from DT for $185 each, and that's before the $140 in rebates I'll get from Goodyear and Tread Lightly. :confused:

33x12.5x15s. Of course living in NM you add 10% to everything just because. There are things I do miss about living in WI. Price of car parts and tires is one.

kenb1023 12-04-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenb1023 (Post 1797466)
33x12.5x15s. Of course living in NM you add 10% to everything just because. There are things I do miss about living in WI. Price of car parts and tires is one.

Opps, I guess thats two :whistling:

RedBones 12-04-2011 08:31 PM

Nice looking jeep. :thumb:

mjf23 08-14-2012 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got too good a deal on a second hand set. Less than 5K miles, and DTD even transferred the previous owner's warranty.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.