Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   YJ Transmission remove (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/yj-transmission-remove-122108.html)

paca 11-10-2011 03:34 PM

YJ Transmission remove

Hello
I have a 95 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande with a manual transmission.

5th gear does not want to release "sometimes".. everything else is fine.

I contact a few shops and for my budget it seems it will be better to remove the transmission myself..and get it there.

Does anyone knows how to do it or point me to where I can see images of how to do it?.

any help is greatly appreciated.:thumb:

Thank you

darkproximity 11-10-2011 03:46 PM

Have you tried replacing transmission fluid? I ask because my 3rd 4th gear synchro is shot and when I got the jeep id get stuck in 4th gear.. I bought redline mt 90 after reading a lot of good reviews for use in the AX15... it hasn't got stuck in 4th since..

If you plan on rebuilding the tranny anyway it wouldn't be a waste to try new fluid.. if it doesn't help you can always reuse the fluid

paca 11-10-2011 03:51 PM

You are the second person who told me that and you know.. I will do it tonight as soon as I get home... it will be not only great but a blessing too as nothing else is wrong with it.. I let you know tomorrow, thanks!!!

darkproximity 11-10-2011 03:57 PM

not a problem, it seems unlikely that 5th would go out but you can google and see if its even a common problem with the ax15.. i havent done too much research on which synchros go bad because mine are already there lol

paca 11-10-2011 04:03 PM

As I do not have a clue about this at all... I was just take it out and drop it off in some shop and have them deal with it... I do not have the tools or the knowledge.. I wish.. but the fluid was good as I checked, but as I said.. you are not the only one who told me to drain it.. so for $15 ... oh well.... you never know ;)

darkproximity 11-10-2011 04:05 PM

well it'll be more than $15 for MT90.. its like 15 a quart and i believe it takes 3.75 or so quarts.. could be wrong

paca 11-10-2011 04:16 PM

ouch... ok.. let's try then

Garyk 11-10-2011 04:25 PM

If you're going to change the fluid, while at the parts store, get the pump that fits on the container, they are about $8 and worth it......

paca 11-10-2011 04:27 PM

OK.. $15 X 4 AND $8 PUMP... anything else?...LOL... guys I hope this works now... as my budget is not good... but if it works I am having turkey this holiday!!!! yes!!!...LOL

darkproximity 11-10-2011 04:30 PM

That should be it.. and yes get the pump.. I was gonna mention that lol.. also make sure you can open the fill plug before you open the drain plug..

darkproximity 11-10-2011 04:32 PM

Also go on redlines website and see who sells it near you.. find out how much and google the fluid capacity.. it might have been 4.75 quarts.. I don't quite remember

paca 11-10-2011 04:36 PM

I checked the fluid in the transmission a couple weeks ago, and it was gear oil..in really good shape... and that is when I changed my mind of flushing it... but now it is almost a $80 gamble.. but $80 vs $900....ummm,..... we see ..ha,ha,,,

darkproximity 11-10-2011 04:40 PM

Well its not really a gamble if you reuse it.. mine wasn't near 80 so I could be wrong on price and qty... I.think it was around 50.. also mine had gear oil in it too and was obviously not helping the problem

1SAS 11-10-2011 04:51 PM

Paca,

BRING THE VEHICLE INTO THE SHOP!!! You have said that you have no knowledge on how to remove the transmission. You have already said that you have no tools to remove the transmission. BRING IT IN! You should not be removing the transmission at all. It is heavy and dangerous. I am an experienced "shade tree" mechanic with over thirty years of experience. I would not attempt to do this without the proper tools. It is too risky. You literally have to balance the transmission at one point to pull the input shaft out of the pilot bushing in the crankshaft. Then you have to balance the transmission to put the input shaft into the same pilot bushing. SUCK IT UP AND BRING IT IN! You can't be saving that much money BUT what you will save is injury and the problems you are going to have putting it back in WITHOUT THE PROPER TOOLS.

Sometimes "low ballers" just piss me off because they don't give a crud about anyone's safety. It is all about saving a few bucks. Safety first, saving bucks, second. Those are "ordered" priorities that all men should have.

Take care,

paca 11-11-2011 08:02 AM

Thanks, but $$$$?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1SAS (Post 1735622)
Paca,

BRING THE VEHICLE INTO THE SHOP!!! You have said that you have no knowledge on how to remove the transmission. You have already said that you have no tools to remove the transmission. BRING IT IN! You should not be removing the transmission at all. It is heavy and dangerous. I am an experienced "shade tree" mechanic with over thirty years of experience. I would not attempt to do this without the proper tools. It is too risky. You literally have to balance the transmission at one point to pull the input shaft out of the pilot bushing in the crankshaft. Then you have to balance the transmission to put the input shaft into the same pilot bushing. SUCK IT UP AND BRING IT IN! You can't be saving that much money BUT what you will save is injury and the problems you are going to have putting it back in WITHOUT THE PROPER TOOLS.

Sometimes "low ballers" just piss me off because they don't give a crud about anyone's safety. It is all about saving a few bucks. Safety first, saving bucks, second. Those are "ordered" priorities that all men should have.

Take care,

Hello 1SAS.

You are completely right. I won't argue that. and I would love to bring it to your shop, but I had quoted it in 4 different places and I do not have enough money... sadly no credit cards, no enough cash.. this is my only vehicle since 1996 and it has been good to me and my family... but as you know, there is never a good time for BIG repairs. this is my plan: one kid from next door is pretty decent with tools... $200 for helping me to do it... and then roll it to a shop. Shops said $200 for working on it (if it is nothing major, it could be just a spring.. $80).. If I need a new clutch kit $160 (Ebay).. new shifters and gaskets $120 (Ebay)..as the truck is over 200K

$680 total from my next paycheck in two weeks and a pay advance from my job...

I believe people with the right knowledge and experience should be reimburse not only for their experience but for their hard work but I just cannot pay $700 on labor + parts $500 + extras $200....

ON the other hand if someone can show me in a video (youtube) or pictures the step by step.. I will have to do it.

once again, you are 100% right!!!

I am a marketing/web designer..lol:flowers:

paca 11-11-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkproximity (Post 1735591)
Well its not really a gamble if you reuse it.. mine wasn't near 80 so I could be wrong on price and qty... I.think it was around 50.. also mine had gear oil in it too and was obviously not helping the problem

Hello Darkproximity

it took me two hours to remove that Son of gun bolt.. broke my only two wrenches..lol.. but as soon the oil came out it was filthy and watery... it seems pretty bad... So, after taking a bath on that crap.. I replaced it with the new one.. as I can only effort two buy two quarters and the pump.. I repack some of the old oil..ha,ha,ha.. I know it was not too smart, but I had to get it running (I needed it to go to the store and pay some bills this morning).. well.... 5th still not disengaging.. I still have to clutch several times.. or shout off the engine and rock the truck a little and it will do the trick..

We gave it the try and it was good exercise.:thumb: THanks guys!!!!!!!

guardian262 11-11-2011 08:23 AM

Paca...to be honest mixing the fluid especially when we are talking about an expensive synthetic oil and old watery oil is not only going to fix the tranny but will increase the chance for further damage to the transmission.

I can speak from experience that Redline MT-90 helped some of my shifting problems. My synchros were too far gone for the cheap fix but everything else is running better.

1SAS isn't asking you to bring it into his shop and I will mirror his comments. Take the vehicle to a qualified mechanic. If you broke wrenches on the drain plug you will cause yourself allot of pain and money trying to do it yourself. In the end, you will be paying for a tow truck to get it to the shop.

paca 11-11-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guardian262 (Post 1736958)
Paca...to be honest mixing the fluid especially when we are talking about an expensive synthetic oil and old watery oil is not only going to fix the tranny but will increase the chance for further damage to the transmission.

I can speak from experience that Redline MT-90 helped some of my shifting problems. My synchros were too far gone for the cheap fix but everything else is running better.

1SAS isn't asking you to bring it into his shop and I will mirror his comments. Take the vehicle to a qualified mechanic. If you broke wrenches on the drain plug you will cause yourself allot of pain and money trying to do it yourself. In the end, you will be paying for a tow truck to get it to the shop.

Hello guardian262

Thanks for your concern but this is not in option for me right now.

I cannot take it to a shop. no enough $$$$... Can someone show me how to take this thing down please?.. I will borrow the tools... or rent them from people... but once again. I cannot take it to a shop and pay the shop fees!!!! that is why I am in this forum because I am broke!!! not enough money!!!..and I need to find options to this problem.

once again thanks!

The Yeti 11-11-2011 08:40 AM

I will add to the idea of taking it to the shop or at least friend that KNOWS there stuff. I have removed and replaced the the transmission in my jeep 5 times with incorrect tools let me tell you it is dangerous. The biggest issue is have the correct jacks. I havent had thhe correct jack for any of my repairs and my transmission has fallen of the jacks several times. To remove the transmission there are times when you have to be right next to the transmission and it's tight so there isnt really room to escape if it decides to fall. I understand money being tight but it's money vs. Safety. And remember, taking it out in the easy part. Putting it back is a $#@%*.

paca 11-11-2011 08:40 AM

paca 11-11-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yeti (Post 1737000)
I will add to the idea of taking it to the shop or at least friend that KNOWS there stuff. I have removed and replaced the the transmission in my jeep 5 times with incorrect tools let me tell you it is dangerous. The biggest issue is have the correct jacks. I havent had thhe correct jack for any of my repairs and my transmission has fallen of the jacks several times. To remove the transmission there are times when you have to be right next to the transmission and it's tight so there isnt really room to escape if it decides to fall. I understand money being tight but it's money vs. Safety. And remember, taking it out in the easy part. Putting it back is a $#@%*.

Hello Yeti

so I am doom then.... no money for a shop... no way to do it myself.... great!... now I fucked!

paca 11-11-2011 08:46 AM

Come on guys, I have bills up to my butt.. a 3 year old kid and a wife... and only one car (this jeep)... and not enough cash.... what should I do then?... sit around?... and trust me I am looking for a second job to fix this.. thanks God I am car pooling with a coworker,, and the jeep can be driven in 4th to the store.... TOO much info here... but can we please look for options if possible.. as you guys might know more than me about Jeeps.... Thanks!!!

The Yeti 11-11-2011 08:48 AM

To remove the transmission the first thing you have to do is block the jeep so it wont roll. Then remove the floor pan around the shifter. Then you need to remove the driveshafts. Then you need to either remove the slave cylinder or disconnect the clutch line depending on which type or slave cylinder you have. Then put a jackstand under the transmission and remove the bolts that hold the skidplate to thw transmission. Then remove the bolts that hold the skid plate to the frame. Becareful the skid plate is a lot heavier when you are underneath you jeep. Then put a jack under the transmission and start to unbolt the bell housing bolts. Put the transmission in 3rd gear or remove the shifter ( put a bag over the whole so crap doesnt get in the tranny) ease down slightly on the transmission with the jack, not to far though. Pull the transmission straight back for the engine (becareful!!!!! When the pilot shaft comes out of the bearing this is when the ttranny is most likely to fall!!) Then ease the tranny down amd pull out from under the jeepjeep

paca 11-11-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yeti (Post 1737017)
To remove the transmission the first thing you have to do is block the jeep so it wont roll. Then remove the floor pan around the shifter. Then you need to remove the driveshafts. Then you need to either remove the slave cylinder or disconnect the clutch line depending on which type or slave cylinder you have. Then put a jackstand under the transmission and remove the bolts that hold the skidplate to thw transmission. Then remove the bolts that hold the skid plate to the frame. Becareful the skid plate is a lot heavier when you are underneath you jeep. Then put a jack under the transmission and start to unbolt the bell housing bolts. Put the transmission in 3rd gear or remove the shifter ( put a bag over the whole so crap doesnt get in the tranny) ease down slightly on the transmission with the jack, not to far though. Pull the transmission straight back for the engine (becareful!!!!! When the pilot shaft comes out of the bearing this is when the ttranny is most likely to fall!!) Then ease the tranny down amd pull out from under the jeepjeep

Hello Yeti

Do I disconect the rear shaft?.. what about the little wires on the back of the trasmission?.. and if I remove the clotch housing might be easier? (I spent last night until 3 am looking at everything .. and I follow you all the way.. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

The Yeti 11-11-2011 09:05 AM

Just unplug the wires and zip tie them out of the way. There should be 2 plugs, speedo and reverse loght. There should alsobe a vent tube and possibly a vacuum plig depending on the age or your jeep. Just mark where they go unplug them amd lay them to the side

The Yeti 11-11-2011 09:06 AM

Rear shaft unbolt from the axle tthen it will slide out kf the transfer casecase

paca 11-11-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yeti (Post 1737056)
Just unplug the wires and zip tie them out of the way. There should be 2 plugs, speedo and reverse loght. There should alsobe a vent tube and possibly a vacuum plig depending on the age or your jeep. Just mark where they go unplug them amd lay them to the side

Hello Yeti

10-4!!!
just to make sure.
1) I have to remove the shifter from the inside of the jeep in 3rd gear?
2) If I remove from the clutch housing should I remove the starter?
3) should I drain the transmission fluid first?
4) should I remove the muffler?

I had remove the ski plate and the clutch slave cylinder before when I replace the engine mount like 3 years ago..

one last thing.. why one shop said they might not have to drop the transmission at all... that it could be a "spring"?

Thanks for your time and help!

guardian262 11-11-2011 09:23 AM

Attempt at your own risk

Here is the removal instructions from the Factory Service manual. I still strongly advise you not to undertake this job on your own and accept no responsibility for personal injury and damage to machinery. I understand you are in a bind with cash and that is the only reason I am helping with instructions.

TRANSMISSION REMOVAL
(1) Shift transmission into first or third gear. Then
raise vehicle on hoist.
(2) Support engine with adjustable jack stand. Position
wood block between jack and oil pan to avoid
damaging pan.
(3) Disconnect necessary exhaust system components.
(4) Remove skid plate.
(5) Disconnect rear cushion and bracket from
transmission (Fig. 5).
(6) Remove rear crossmember.
(7) Disconnect transfer case shift linkage at transfer
case.
(8) Disconnect vehicle speed sensor wires and
transfer case vent hose.
(9) Remove slave cylinder from clutch housing.
(10) Disconnect transmission shift lever as follows:
(a) Lower transmission-transfer case assembly
approximately 7-8 cm (3 in.) for access to shift lever.
(b) Reach up and around transmission case and
unseat shift lever dust boot from transmission shift
tower (Fig. 6). Move boot upward on shift lever for
access to retainer that secures lever in shift tower.
(c) Reach up and around transmission case and
press shift lever retainer downward with your fingers.
Turn retainer counterclockwise to release it.
(d) Lift lever and retainer out of shift tower (Fig.
6). Do not remove the shift lever from the
floorpan boots. Leave the lever in place for
later transmission installation.
(11) Mark front and rear propeller shafts for installation
alignment (Fig. 7). Then remove both
shafts.
(12) Remove crankshaft position position sensor
(Figs. 8, 9).
CAUTION: It is important that the crankshaft position
sensor be removed prior to transmission removal.
The sensor can easily be damaged if left in
place during removal operations.
(13) Unclip wire harnesses from transmission and
transfer case.
(14) Remove slave cylinder from clutch housing.
(15) Support transmission with transmission jack.
(16) Remove nuts attaching transfer case to transmission
and remove transfer case.
(17) Secure transmission to jack with safety
chains.
(18) Remove clutch housing brace rod.
(19) Remove clutch housing-to-engine bolts.
(20) Pull transmission jack rearward until input
shaft clears clutch. Then slide transmission out from
under vehicle.
(21) Remove clutch release bearing, release fork
and retainer clip.
(22) Remove clutch housing from transmission.

[Install] AX-15 New Clutch Install This website has some pictures on removing the tranny for a clutch replacement. Good Luck.

paca 11-11-2011 09:35 AM

Great!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by guardian262 (Post 1737086)
Here is the removal instructions from the Factory Service manual. I still strongly advise you not to undertake this job on your own and accept no responsibility for personal injury and damage to machinery. I understand you are in a bind with cash and that is the only reason I am helping with instructions.

TRANSMISSION REMOVAL
(1) Shift transmission into first or third gear. Then
raise vehicle on hoist.
(2) Support engine with adjustable jack stand. Position
wood block between jack and oil pan to avoid
damaging pan.
(3) Disconnect necessary exhaust system components.
(4) Remove skid plate.
(5) Disconnect rear cushion and bracket from
transmission (Fig. 5).
(6) Remove rear crossmember.
(7) Disconnect transfer case shift linkage at transfer
case.
(8) Disconnect vehicle speed sensor wires and
transfer case vent hose.
(9) Remove slave cylinder from clutch housing.
(10) Disconnect transmission shift lever as follows:
(a) Lower transmission-transfer case assembly
approximately 7-8 cm (3 in.) for access to shift lever.
(b) Reach up and around transmission case and
unseat shift lever dust boot from transmission shift
tower (Fig. 6). Move boot upward on shift lever for
access to retainer that secures lever in shift tower.
(c) Reach up and around transmission case and
press shift lever retainer downward with your fingers.
Turn retainer counterclockwise to release it.
(d) Lift lever and retainer out of shift tower (Fig.
6). Do not remove the shift lever from the
floorpan boots. Leave the lever in place for
later transmission installation.
(11) Mark front and rear propeller shafts for installation
alignment (Fig. 7). Then remove both
shafts.
(12) Remove crankshaft position position sensor
(Figs. 8, 9).
CAUTION: It is important that the crankshaft position
sensor be removed prior to transmission removal.
The sensor can easily be damaged if left in
place during removal operations.
(13) Unclip wire harnesses from transmission and
transfer case.
(14) Remove slave cylinder from clutch housing.
(15) Support transmission with transmission jack.
(16) Remove nuts attaching transfer case to transmission
and remove transfer case.
(17) Secure transmission to jack with safety
chains.
(18) Remove clutch housing brace rod.
(19) Remove clutch housing-to-engine bolts.
(20) Pull transmission jack rearward until input
shaft clears clutch. Then slide transmission out from
under vehicle.
(21) Remove clutch release bearing, release fork
and retainer clip.
(22) Remove clutch housing from transmission.

[Install] AX-15 New Clutch Install This website has some pictures on removing the tranny for a clutch replacement. Good Luck.

Hello guardian

Thank you.!!! I know it is not safe... but I must, have to do it!!!!....

I should have you all with some beers and burgers... LOL... that fits in my poor budget.

paca 11-11-2011 09:45 AM