Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   new member noobie here! :D (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/new-member-noobie-here-d-122208.html)

gnod85 11-11-2011 08:46 AM

new member noobie here! :D

hi everyone!

new member & a noobie here :D

so I'm fairly certain I want to purchase a wrangler but was hoping for some of the pro and experts to 'show the way' in regards to reading up on the basic must-know-facts about wranglers.

i bought a '05 Subaru Legacy GT last Nov (i was debating on a subaru or the jeep), and while I LOVE the car for it's reliability, safety and the turbo.. my heart still longs for the wrangler. haha

therefore, i'm going to begin researching for a wrangler as I try to sell my subaru come this spring. I think I'm really loving the long wheel base of the '05 and '06 unlimited models, although i've heard and read that they're often harder to find in good condition.

hope to hear some feedback from ya'll

thanks!

InvertChaos 11-11-2011 08:55 AM

Welcome to the forum!

gnod85 11-11-2011 09:49 AM

^thanks!
do you have any good beginners articles in getting started with wranglers?
i know there are acronyms like TJ and JK that i'm still unfamiliar with :P.. just wondering if there's a consolidated page of information :D

techflork 11-11-2011 10:03 AM

best thing you can do is search google or this forum with keywords that you want to read about. Like "lifts" or "wranger with 33's". There are tons of generic questions that people ask, I usually think of something I want to read about then sum it up in a key word and search for the threads. I've been learning that way. I'm sure someone will post up a good resource page on the site.

gnod85 11-11-2011 10:04 AM

^got it!
man i want to sell my subbie right now and jump right into wrangler... but patience. :D

techflork 11-11-2011 10:11 AM

mmm I hear ya. the itch only gets worse, once you have one then you'll be wanting to mod and mod and must be careful not to go into debt :p You won't be disapointed with a jeep though

gnod85 11-11-2011 10:12 AM

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2005

i've been looking all morning... must..resist
this si the perfect spec i want...'05 or '06 unlimited, silver or black, manual low mileage..

SIGH
i have to sell my car first :(

techflork 11-11-2011 10:16 AM

stick shifts are a blast! make sure you check out the frame and underbody for rust if you look at it haha. Hopefully you can sell your subie for a good deal!

gnod85 11-11-2011 10:17 AM

yep yep, i never owned a stick and would not buy the jeep in auto... :D

InvertChaos 11-11-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnod85
^thanks!
do you have any good beginners articles in getting started with wranglers?
i know there are acronyms like TJ and JK that i'm still unfamiliar with :P.. just wondering if there's a consolidated page of information :D

Not off tthe top of my head. Just hang around and don't be afraid to ask questions and you'll quickly absorb information.

What you'll want to look for if you want an 05-06 Unlimited is codenamed "LJ" for Long TJ. A TJ is the regular version and is any wrangler made between 1997 and 2006. A JK or JKU is any wrangler from 2007-current. You'll also see YJs which is any wrangler from 1987-1995.

Be sure to check the frame and under the carpet for rust. If the engine is /too/ clean then the person probably cleaned it up to hide a leak or similar. If you find one you like then take it to a mechanic you trust and have him give it a once over. It would be sad to buy a jeep then spend twice as much money fixing its problems.

techflork 11-12-2011 09:02 AM

Jeep Buying Forum FAQ: All Potential Buyers Start Here - JeepForum.com

I bookmarked that when I first started. Haven't looked at it in depth but it seems like something you're looking for. Different forum

Ageless Stranger 11-12-2011 03:06 PM

Welcome to WF. :cool:

blkrubi88 11-13-2011 07:41 AM

Welcome!

gnod85 11-14-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techflork (Post 1739232)
Jeep Buying Forum FAQ: All Potential Buyers Start Here - JeepForum.com

I bookmarked that when I first started. Haven't looked at it in depth but it seems like something you're looking for. Different forum

GREAT info - thanks!!!