Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New plans: building down (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-plans-building-down-12274.html)

GrnTJ 10-10-2007 03:46 PM

New plans: building down

It probably sounds really weird but I am planning on building my rig down a bit (as far as height goes). Currently its on a 4" skyjacker lift and 33" muds with 4.88 gears. The plans are as follows:
-2.5" Rancho rock crawler lift
-homemade adjustable upper's with johnny joints
-31" Mud terrains
-OX locker rear with 30 spline alloy shafts (keepin the D35 since Im onyl gonna be runnin 31's)
-Detroit tru trac front (stock spline count)
-D30 axle stube seals
-D35 homemade truss and welded tubes to center section
-high flow water pump
-headers
-aluminum radiator
-electric fan conversion
-cold air intake of some sort
-3.73 or 4.10 gears (what do you guys think?)

Im sure Im missing a few things but thats what I got off the top of my head. The gas mileage is terrible on it right now and I want it a little better otherwise I wont even be able to drive it. I want it to LOOK near stock but then do awesome off road. So what do you guys think of the plans? Any suggestions?

02Prove 10-10-2007 03:50 PM

Build it up strong and make sure you have plenty of armor and she'll do fine.

1BLKJP 10-10-2007 03:52 PM

My only addition to what you want to do would be a belly up skid. You are building your own adjustable arms so you won't have to worry about all that jazz. Having a better break over angle can work for you as well as having 3 more inches of tire.

debruins 10-10-2007 04:00 PM

id go 4.11

GrnTJ 10-10-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 147912)
My only addition to what you want to do would be a belly up skid. You are building your own adjustable arms so you won't have to worry about all that jazz. Having a better break over angle can work for you as well as having 3 more inches of tire.

Knew I forgot to mention something. I had planned on a belly up skid. I was gonna build my own with a simple piece of straight plate steel cut to size and holes drilled and proper reienforcment. My only concern is the driveline angles then. I was getting the 2.5" lift so I could avoid a t case drop by instead instlling a 1" mml. I also like that it has everything I need and it supposedly flex's like crazy. If I do a belly up though I know its gonna start givin me vibes, even with a mml. So, then Id have to do a sye and new drice shaft wouldnt I? I didnt want to have to do that since I wanted to stay lower. You think Im gonna have to though?

activelydying 10-10-2007 06:29 PM

Can I have your old stuff?? :wavey:

1BLKJP 10-10-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrnTJ (Post 147962)
Knew I forgot to mention something. I had planned on a belly up skid. I was gonna build my own with a simple piece of straight plate steel cut to size and holes drilled and proper reienforcment. My only concern is the driveline angles then. I was getting the 2.5" lift so I could avoid a t case drop by instead instlling a 1" mml. I also like that it has everything I need and it supposedly flex's like crazy. If I do a belly up though I know its gonna start givin me vibes, even with a mml. So, then Id have to do a sye and new drice shaft wouldnt I? I didnt want to have to do that since I wanted to stay lower. You think Im gonna have to though?

Yeah, I honestly do think that you'd have to do an SYE to completely rid yourself of vibes with 2.5" of lift and a belly up. However in the long run it's a cheap solution to have your rig exactly where you want it and never have to worry about those parts again. I personally think the clearance gains outweigh the cost. Just my opinion though.

GrnTJ 10-10-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 147985)
Can I have your old stuff?? :wavey:

Actaully, thats another thing. All of my current stuff will be up for sale very soon. I will have quite the list of stuff too, including:
-D30/D35 4.88 gears
-the 4" skyjacker lift
-33" Pro Comp Mud Terrains (about 80% tread left) on black steelies
-rear heavy duty diff. cover with bottom drain plug (you dont have to remove cover to drain diff. oil)
-Bushwacker fender flares (possibly)
-half doors with three upper windows (hard, soft w/ glass window, soft w/ plastic window)
-possibly my 2-piece hard top
-stock radiator
There could be more too. If anyone would be interested just shoot me a message or say so on the thread. I can throw out a price or just make an offer. It could be a while before Im ready to sell some of this stuff but it will be available when I am able to get that other stuff.

GrnTJ 10-10-2007 07:01 PM

I think your right by the way BLK. I will probably end up goin that route and just forget the mml.

myanarchy 10-10-2007 07:05 PM

Buy a cheap beater and go up with it:)

GrnTJ 10-10-2007 11:05 PM

I dont want to spend $$ on another vehicle. I already plan to buy a Honda CBR 600 used for summer driving. I just want to keep this build small but very capable. When I get out of college I will probably go all out and build up a big rig.

4Jeepn 10-11-2007 05:42 AM

Okay, are you doing just to get better MPG? How bad is it now? I would say run some smaller street tires and leave it how it is. Seems to me your going to be spending a great deal on it, and not going to see that much of a difference in the mpg dept.

kg4kpg 10-11-2007 07:11 AM

Too bad your so far from here or I would try for the wheels and tires.

GrnTJ 10-11-2007 09:08 AM

Jeepn,
Its not just the gas mileage. In fact, thats a really small part of it. I think it gets about 15 mpg at this point. Id say a little less than that at times too. I have other reasons too though. For one, my girlfriend of nearly 4 years is only about 5' 1" so she has a hard time getting in sometimes. Also, I want it to look more like a stocker. There really is no need for anything bigger than a 31" tire around Michigan if Im gonna be locking up the axles. I really want it locked too but I dont want to do a full on axle swap. So I figure Im plenty safe locking them with 31's. I want to have piece of mind that Im probably not going to break a shaft while wheelin. I dont mind spending the money. Not that its unlimited (I know where everyone take that). I just know its worth it, and ultimantley it would be far more expensive to go the long arm root and axle swap to handle lockign a bigger tire (Im sure Id go with nothing less than a 35" tire). So Im kinda saving myself from other plans Id have too I supppose.

mrbigjeep 10-11-2007 09:33 AM

so you want a sleeper?

a locked 35 with 31's could still break so take it easy...just use common sense

GrnTJ 10-11-2007 09:50 AM

Haha. Funny you say that becasue thats exactly how I described it to my buddy the other day, basically an off road sleeper. I realize that it could still break but thats why Im gonna build it up so much, even if its just for 31's. Its gettin a full truss, welded axle tubes, and chromoly axle shafts. I think after all that I should be pretty safe. Im not the kind of guy that goes crazy on the gas pedal though. If I begin to bounce I hit the clutch right away. I think being locked front and back though I shouldnt need to use much of the gas pedal anyway.

mrbigjeep 10-11-2007 01:07 PM

aaah...chromoly shafts...thats good. should be pretty good with just 31's.

i sure as heck wouldn't pass up a chance on a good 8.8 though :D

GrnTJ 10-11-2007 03:07 PM

Thats a nother HUYGE reason. I really dont feel like swappin a new axle in. Besides, by the time Im done with the D35 it will basically be the same thing. Kinda.

4bangertj 10-11-2007 10:04 PM

ive got and idea! come to illinois take my 4 10s that ive got on my jeep give me your 488s i'll give ya my stock suspension with the not yet installed tera flex budget boost, and you give me your 4 inch lift. oh yeah and you can have my stock tires and i'll take your 33's. man if thats not a deal i dont know what is!

GrnTJ 10-15-2007 03:58 AM

Sounds like a great plan but I dont have the gas for all that, sorry. Haha. On the other hand you can guy it all and I can ship it to you. Now theres a deal! Anyway. Im lookin for some more opinions. I was originally gonan go with a Detroit Tru Trac in the front axle. Now Im thinkin $$ savings and I was pondering an Aussie locker for the front. From what I hear they are great units, and it'd be a heck of a lot easier to install. So whatdo you guys think, Tru Trac or Aussie. Id like to save myself some money if it can be justified.

mrbigjeep 10-15-2007 08:51 AM

aussie...unless you have snow during the winter

GrnTJ 10-15-2007 11:33 AM

Well, being that Im from Michigan I have lots of snow in the winter. Is it really that bad? If Im driving around in 2WD during the winter on the roads wouldntit be fine?

mrbigjeep 10-15-2007 02:25 PM

aussie is an automatic locker that will lock under power...JP gave it a 1 on a scale of 1-5 for on road driving (1 being the worst)

of course that rating may be for the rear axle...it may be a bit better in the front...at least if there isn't snow

GrnTJ 10-15-2007 02:48 PM

I know how it all works, Im just saying that driving in 2 wheel for the winter would be fine then even with an aussie in the front in the snow right? I could save myself like $200 here if I go with an Aussie instead.

debruins 10-15-2007 02:55 PM

in front is ok in 2wd, but what if you get stuck and want t use 4wd in the snow?

GrnTJ 10-15-2007 02:57 PM

Then I guess Im just gonna have to deal with it, haha. Or I could try to engage my rear locker and get out in 2 WD still. I guess Im not too worried really. Aussie it is!

mrbigjeep 10-15-2007 07:15 PM

wow you caught me at a bad moment...now i get what your saying...if your snow isn't deep enough to get stuck then go for it

GrnTJ 10-15-2007 07:19 PM

Only time snow would be deep enough to get stuck would be off road, in which case Id have the rear locker engaged and have it in 4WD any way.

marc1kim 10-16-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 148131)
so you want a sleeper?

a locked 35 with 31's could still break so take it easy...just use common sense

That's what makes the super 35 kits nice. I got one on my wishlist.:punk:

GrnTJ 10-16-2007 09:02 AM

Yea, I was going to do a super 35 kit but it almost seems pointless when I can get an OX locker instead of the Detroit in the same package (new 30 spline shafts and bearings etc.) for basically the same price. Then I can have a selectable locker. But then the other night I found the same 30 spline shaft+locker deal with the ARB for $850. That means I can grab a ARB compressor for about $200 and get an ARB for the same price as those other 2 as well. The big advantage to that is I'd have oba too! So I need more opinions again. Especially anyone who can tell me from experience. Should I go with an OX locker (I really like that it comes with the heavy duty diff cover) or do i go with the ARB (I love the idea of having oba in my rig since I air down often enough to use it). I like things about each but it seems like settin up the OX would be a lot easier too compared to the ARB. Help me!
Oh, and for the record Im goin with 4.10 gears now.