Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Setting up a Fabtech 6" Long Arm (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/setting-up-a-fabtech-6-long-arm-12279.html)

bgmiller 10-10-2007 06:24 PM

Setting up a Fabtech 6" Long Arm

I have some questions on how to set up my new lift and tire package. I have a 97 Sport with 35 x 12.50 tires set at the minimum offset. My steering system is becoming loose or sloppy. I would like to upgrade so this will not happen in the future. If I get a currie HD steering system will that replace all the parts that could be the problem? I need to replace the front wheel bearings, do I need to pull the axle shafts to do this? What length bump stops do I need to prevent 35" from contacting the fender. I need to provide complete tire coverage to pass an annual vehicle safety inspection, so what size fender flares do I need and who make them. Does any know if tube fenders are legal in Hawaii and if I can buy ones that are wide enough to cover the tire tread? Thanks for your advise.

'97 TJ Sport
5 Speed
Front Diff: dana 30
Rear Diff: Dana 35 with super 35 Kit
Ring and Pinion 4.10

bgmiller 10-18-2007 11:32 PM

I am still waiting to be enlightened =). I will be gone for a couple of weeks starting Sunday night but I will be hoping for posts when I get back.

1BLKJP 10-19-2007 05:52 PM

Hi, Sorry you didn't get any replies sooner.

Yes if you were to replace your steering with a Currie setup it will beef up both the drag link and tie rod so that your steering will hold up to the 35's.

No, you do not need to fully remove your axle shafts to replace the unit bearings. The unit bearings are held on by four things after you remove the calipers. There are three bolts on the back side of the knuckle that are 12 point 13 mm and then the Axle nut that is a 36mm that holds the shaft onto the unit bearing.

As far as your flares and bumpstops are concerned others will have to help you with that. I run my setup with maximun droop and fender flares don't matter here in AZ.

GrnTJ 10-19-2007 08:03 PM

I think you should extend your bump stops 2 1/2 -3". That should pretty much save your tires from contacting the inside wheel well. As for fender flares. Id suggest running the Bushwacker 6" pocket style fender flares. Thats what I run and they seem to cover a 12.5" tire pretty well. Thats all Ive got experience with but they do their job and they look good too. A bit pricey but worth it since you gotta pass inspection. As for tube fenders, Im not sure if they are legal in Hawaii. Id call your local police department though and ask them what kind of laws you guys have on that. If its all good as long as they cover the tire then I might suggest the Poision Spider Customs 3" flare tube fenders. I think they should be able to cover your tires up.

mrbigjeep 10-20-2007 10:45 AM

go with the full replacement tnt tube fenders...no cutting and you can get 3" flare

bgmiller 11-04-2007 12:20 AM

Longer bump stops

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrnTJ (Post 150821)
I think you should extend your bump stops 2 1/2 -3". That should pretty much save your tires from contacting the inside wheel well. As for fender flares. Id suggest running the Bushwacker 6" pocket style fender flares. Thats what I run and they seem to cover a 12.5" tire pretty well. Thats all Ive got experience with but they do their job and they look good too. A bit pricey but worth it since you gotta pass inspection. As for tube fenders, Im not sure if they are legal in Hawaii. Id call your local police department though and ask them what kind of laws you guys have on that. If its all good as long as they cover the tire then I might suggest the Poision Spider Customs 3" flare tube fenders. I think they should be able to cover your tires up.

GrnTJ,
Are you talking about adding bump stops that are 2 1/2 -3" longer than ones that came with the FabTech lift? If that is what you are saying then what are some of the manufactures for these bump stops?

mrbigjeep 11-04-2007 12:32 PM

JKS makes adjustable bumpstops...

Currie also makes bumpstops..

RE also makes some...