Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Wet (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/wet-123046.html)

danrunYJ 11-16-2011 03:17 PM

Wet

I havent looked into it much because ive been working all the dang time and when im not its raining lol. Everytime it rains fairly hard i open my door and find a puddle in my drivers side floorboard. i have a hard top and i know its not coming from the top. It drips from up underneath the dash. any ideas?

Jeep716 11-16-2011 03:20 PM

Lower seal on windshield. It's called cowl seal. 30-40 bucks on line. You have to remove top and side bars fold windshield down to replace. Very common. Mine leaks too.

Drpinkydo 11-16-2011 03:26 PM

You might want to check your cowl vent drain before you drop the windshield and replace the seal. It's the long rubber hose on the passenger side fire wall. If its clogged, the cowl vent will fill and dump water through the heating system onto the passenger floor.

danrunYJ 11-16-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drpinkydo (Post 1750101)
You might want to check your cowl vent drain before you drop the windshield and replace the seal. It's the long rubber hose on the passenger side fire wall. If its clogged, the cowl vent will fill and dump water through the heating system onto the passenger floor.

i had thouht about that but its on my drivers side.

danrunYJ 11-16-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep716 (Post 1750089)
Lower seal on windshield. It's called cowl seal. 30-40 bucks on line. You have to remove top and side bars fold windshield down to replace. Very common. Mine leaks too.

i figured thats what it was, i knew it cant be too many things.

Nubby55 11-16-2011 06:19 PM

should be the seal , Unless you has :eek: Rust!

danrunYJ 11-17-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubby55 (Post 1750484)
should be the seal , Unless you has :eek: Rust!

haha no rust, anywhere :D

Scottie Daddy 11-17-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrunYJ (Post 1750303)
i had thouht about that but its on my drivers side.

My drain tube was clogged, so after it rained, and I took a right turn, it dumped water on my feet.

I of course removed the drain tube, and cleaned it out (and cut it some, and put a screen on it so wasps and dirt dobbers can't turn it into a home)

I would definately check the windshield rubber. If you don't have the cash and never put the windshield down, a bead of clear silicone in between the windshield and cowl would suffice.

danrunYJ 11-17-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie Daddy (Post 1753642)
My drain tube was clogged, so after it rained, and I took a right turn, it dumped water on my feet.

I of course removed the drain tube, and cleaned it out (and cut it some, and put a screen on it so wasps and dirt dobbers can't turn it into a home)

I would definately check the windshield rubber. If you don't have the cash and never put the windshield down, a bead of clear silicone in between the windshield and cowl would suffice.

I actually did put some silicone accross it and that did nothing :(

Scottie Daddy 11-19-2011 07:33 AM

Then I would assuming it's coming out of the outside vent for fresh air in the cab. Where else could it be coming from?

You might want to sit inside your Jeep, and have someone spray some water on certain areas to see where it is coming from.

alcapon1 11-19-2011 08:07 AM

dude! I have the same thing, I even put some items down to catch the water cause I thought it was the top, I could not figure why the trays were always empty till now.:doh:

danrunYJ 11-19-2011 10:54 AM

i'll probably dump a bucket of water in the vent and see what that does, idk what else to do...

danrunYJ 11-19-2011 01:01 PM

welp i poured water down the vent and nothing, it all came out of the drain. i poured A LOT of water accross the windshield and nothing. hmm

onroad 11-19-2011 07:36 PM

The vent overflowing is common when that rubber "sock" in the engine compartment gets clogged. If not that, the rubber seal between the windshield frame and cowl is a common leak when it's old and dried out. If not that... (and this is what I eventually found on mine) the seam just below the windshield, where the end of the hoodline (not the hood itself) meets the horizontal part of the cowl. There's a bead of panel sealer there, and it gets tiny cracks when it's old.

On mine I couldn't see any cracks even when I looked close, but I ran water just over that seam with a hose and it was pissing right in, bad. I got under the dash with a mirror and a flashlight to track it on the inside, and it was running along a lip on the inside that seam, and dripping down on the drivers side of the hump just to the left of the shifter and pooling in the driver's floorpan. It was also running the opposite way along that lip and dripping down by the passenger side speaker.

I just put a new bead of panel sealer on there and it stopped.

Nubby55 11-19-2011 08:05 PM

Well mines not a DD, but the rubber seal around the windshield has a small gap in it at the bottom middle and may leak, the only time it's sat in the rain while I've had it, it did not have the door tops on for a 4 day weekend dearing a storm, it was wet all over. cleanest it's ever been in side . LOL

danrunYJ 11-19-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onroad (Post 1757566)
The vent overflowing is common when that rubber "sock" in the engine compartment gets clogged. If not that, the rubber seal between the windshield frame and cowl is a common leak when it's old and dried out. If not that... (and this is what I eventually found on mine) the seam just below the windshield, where the end of the hoodline (not the hood itself) meets the horizontal part of the cowl. There's a bead of panel sealer there, and it gets tiny cracks when it's old.

On mine I couldn't see any cracks even when I looked close, but I ran water just over that seam with a hose and it was pissing right in, bad. I got under the dash with a mirror and a flashlight to track it on the inside, and it was running along a lip on the inside that seam, and dripping down on the drivers side of the hump just to the left of the shifter and pooling in the driver's floorpan. It was also running the opposite way along that lip and dripping down by the passenger side speaker.

I just put a new bead of panel sealer on there and it stopped.

i'll check that out, its just aggravating having wet feet lol

haroldpo6 11-20-2011 06:55 AM

Mine is doing this also. Used water hose to find the rain channel by windshield let water enter the door by mirror. Water then runs down inside door/dash to foor. I just found this out late yesterday, have not fixed yet.
I have all new windshield, gaskets, etc.

onroad 11-20-2011 09:10 PM

BTW just to clarify, I said where the hood meets the horizontal cowl piece... I meant to say vertical.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9540/img0682bb.jpg

danrunYJ 11-20-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onroad (Post 1760038)
BTW just to clarify, I said where the hood meets the horizontal cowl piece... I meant to say vertical.

yea, i knew what ya meant man :thumb: but where did you get your panel sealer at?

onroad 11-21-2011 10:31 PM

I got the caulking gun type from Eastwood.com. I think any body supply place should have it. The only problem you might have is it only comes in a couple of colors, I got black, and will be painting over it when I get around to painting my Jeep. If you don't plan on repainting the piece, there's not much you can do but get the closest match. I guess clear silicone would work too in that case (can't paint over it which is why I didn't go that route)

Bren88 11-22-2011 11:46 AM

I am experiencing the same thing. i have already replaced the cowl seal, cleaned the drain and used silicone at the botom of the windshield. any ideas what to do next?

jibber 11-22-2011 02:19 PM

My Fix

3 Attachment(s)
I had a pretty bad water leak on my passenger side. After it rained, there would be a big puddle of water on my floor pan, underneath my rubber floormat that is supposed to catch water. It was very mysterious where the water came from because there was only a teeny bit of water on the actual floormat. I also had some water dripping on the driver's side floormat, coming from the dash area, underneath the light switch. The first thing I did was replace the Cowl seal since mine was rotten and breaking apart. After I replaced it, the leak stopped from underneath the light switch on the driver's side. However, the huge mysterious puddle kept appearing under my passenger side floormat. So I spent some time trying to figure out where the water came from and found two places! Two of the pictures are of the exterior and one is of the interior where I cleaned and used clear silicone to seal where the water was coming in. The 2nd and 3rd picture is where the majority of the water was coming in. One is the exterior and one is the interior of the same area where water was coming in and where I siliconed. I now have no more puddle of water! Check these areas on both sides.

Bren88 11-22-2011 03:16 PM

I had sealed up the same place as you 2nd picture but the water seems to be coming out of the bottom of dash. only when it rains hard which it did the other day. The biggest problem is it drips right on my clutch leg from around the foot brake release puller and light switch.

danrunYJ 11-22-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren88 (Post 1764628)
I had sealed up the same place as you 2nd picture but the water seems to be coming out of the bottom of dash. only when it rains hard which it did the other day. The biggest problem is it drips right on my clutch leg from around the foot brake release puller and light switch.

SAME exact spot for me! lol

jibber 11-22-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren88 (Post 1764628)

If you recently replaced your cowl seal, I would check to make sure it is sealing correctly, and check where the cowl seal meets the driver side door. In that viscinity. Water might be getting in through there somehow.

Bren88 11-22-2011 06:55 PM

Has to be the worst place to have it leak, I was out on a date and got out my jeep with a wet leg! Nightmare!

Hoosierbird 11-23-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren88 (Post 1765216)
Has to be the worst place to have it leak, I was out on a date and got out my jeep with a wet leg! Nightmare!

I've never heard that excuse before.........:rofl:

jibber 11-23-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosierbird (Post 1766151)
I've never heard that excuse before.........:rofl:

Haha!