Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Hi Lift Tj Mount? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/hi-lift-tj-mount-123105.html)

ChuckFirebird 11-16-2011 09:22 PM

Hi Lift Tj Mount?
 
I just got a Hi Lift a few weeks back and its been sitting in the garage. I want to mount it on the back of my jeep. Does anyone know a good mount or way to put it on there. Also will it being in the rain and stuff mess it up? This is the first experience with one of these lifts so if I sound dumb sorry :doh:

2003x 11-16-2011 09:38 PM

I mounted mine between the roll bar with two 4" muffler clamps. The roll bar padding in the 03+ is thicker.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...d-img_0159.jpg

Irongrave 11-16-2011 09:48 PM

rain/salt is very bad for hi lifts. they need to be cleaned and lubed regularly to make sure they function correctly

olebluetj 11-16-2011 09:50 PM

mine is on the back bumper that already had the mount on it, most people do it the way
2003x does, as far as rain goes, spray some lube on the latches and pins.

Bman505 11-17-2011 12:29 AM

I mounted mine on my hood.
It was cheap and easiest at the time. I don't leave the jack on the mounts all the time, only when i head out wheeling.

Hood Hi Lift Jack Mount for Jeep CJ YJ TJ high lift | eBay

erickpl 11-17-2011 08:13 AM

I mounted mine to the roll bar using 2 piece clamp-on shaft collars from McMaster-Carr, but you can use conduit or muffler clamps as well - just be sure to use the size that fits your cage. :) These collars were then drilled and tapped to accept a bolt. Add washers, lock washers and nuts, and it's good to go.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=ertb2v

I believe it is 2 1/4" Bore size (which is the diameter of the stock cage tube). You can always run a tape measure around your cage bar, then divide it by pi (3.141592653589793 to get a nice exact value). :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/IMG_0612.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/IMG_0609.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/DSCN0910.jpg

UnlimitedLJ04 11-17-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckFirebird (Post 1751020)
I just got a Hi Lift a few weeks back and its been sitting in the garage.

i've discovered the garage is the best place for it. :popcorn:

TXST8tj 11-17-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1751787)
i've discovered the garage is the best place for it. :popcorn:

Hey, you copied my mounting solution!

Hahaha.

Really I just haven't bothered to come up with something yet.

For manufactured mounts, I do like the mount from River Raider; it's pretty spendy though for a hi-lift mount. The thing I like about it is it sits so low and all pieces stay intact for storage. To me, the worst solution would involve having to remove the base to store elsewhere.
Since I have a Trektop with the slanted back window, I would need something that mounts super low like that.

TJ 48" Hi-Lift Jack Mount
http://www.riverraider.com/store/ima...nt-500x500.jpg

2003x 11-17-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl
I mounted mine to the roll bar using 2 piece clamp-on shaft collars from McMaster-Carr, but you can use conduit or muffler clamps as well - just be sure to use the size that fits your cage. :) These collars were then drilled and tapped to accept a bolt. Add washers, lock washers and nuts, and it's good to go.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=ertb2v

I believe it is 2 1/4" Bore size (which is the diameter of the stock cage tube). You can always run a tape measure around your cage bar, then divide it by pi (3.141592653589793 to get a nice exact value). :)

I like those clamps alot, I am going to look into that. What year is your Jeep? And its hard to tell by the picture, but how did you get it through the clamp, through the Hi-Lift and around the bar?

erickpl 11-17-2011 10:40 AM

The clamps just go around the cage. If you look at the pics, you can see the hex bolts that tighten the clamp down around the cage tube.

The bolts fit into the clamp itself. The clamps were drilled and tapped to handle the size bolt that was put in. Once the bolt is on the clamp, they clamshell around the cage. With them in place, I fit the bolts through holes in the base and at the top of the hilift and secure it down with a box wrench.

That DOES mean I have to have that box wrench in my Tuffy console, but that's not a big deal. It is so solid of a mount that I have actually stood on the hilift and nothing budged.

My TJ is a 97.

kfdjason7620 11-17-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003x

I like those clamps alot, I am going to look into that. What year is your Jeep? And its hard to tell by the picture, but how did you get it through the clamp, through the Hi-Lift and around the bar?

If you'd like I can help with the tapping the stud into the clamp, I've got the equipment to do it easily

2003x 11-17-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfdjason7620 (Post 1752101)
If you'd like I can help with the tapping the stud into the clamp, I've got the equipment to do it easily

How exactly do you do that? I love this idea. The 4" exhaust clamps I am using now are good, but it does hit the soft top frame with folding up/down. These would be a lot smaller.

kfdjason7620 11-17-2011 11:06 AM

I will use the same clamps from mcmaster-Carr, and then stick em in the CNC end mill and drill and tap em and locktite a stud in there, if interested ill check the size and price if the clamps

2003x 11-17-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfdjason7620 (Post 1752146)
I will use the same clamps from mcmaster-Carr, and then stick em in the CNC end mill and drill and tap em and locktite a stud in there, if interested ill check the size and price if the clamps

I am, it looks like the roll bar is 2.25" from a check on the forums. Can anyone verify this?

kfdjason7620 11-17-2011 11:15 AM

Ill check it out with my calipers

Nitpky 11-17-2011 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the cheap way. Took an eye bolt put a bolt through the eye and fastened it into an existing hole in the rear bumper. Drilled a hole in the foot of the jack, slipped jack minus head into rear bumper. I put a piece of 1 x 2 inch piece of rubber on the opposite side of foot so jack doesn't rattle. Removed the head of the jack and put inside of jeep.

Nitpky 11-17-2011 11:23 AM

Forgot to add that the handle is also in the bumper.

2003x 11-17-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfdjason7620
Ill check it out with my calipers

Let me know, i can paypal you. This just looks alot cleaner installation.

erickpl 11-17-2011 11:54 AM

2.25 is the size I used. :)

kfdjason7620 11-17-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl
2.25 is the size I used. :)

Yep that's it!

TXST8tj 11-17-2011 12:49 PM

Paul,

Is this the collar you have for yours?

McMaster-Carr

They would come in a little cheaper than the River Raider mount, but still pricey (roughly $50 with collars and hardware).

Do you have any pics of the collar showing how the stud/bolt is attached? I didn't see any pics in your PB account showing that.

Was the collar just drilled out some (counter sunk) to allow the bolt head to sit flush with the collar?

kfdjason7620 11-17-2011 12:57 PM

looks like its drilled and tapped about halfway through. the nut closest to the clamp is acting as a jam nut

TXST8tj 11-17-2011 01:01 PM

oh, ok....so not using a bolt from the backside.....using a threaded stud/rod from the outside. that makes sense.

2003x 11-17-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfdjason7620 (Post 1752348)
looks like its drilled and tapped about halfway through. the nut closest to the clamp is acting as a jam nut

Pay-Paled you. Cant wait to get them installed. :thumb:

erickpl 11-17-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfdjason7620 (Post 1752348)
looks like its drilled and tapped about halfway through. the nut closest to the clamp is acting as a jam nut

Yeah, drilled and tapped, but pretty much all the way through. Once tapped, ran a bolt who's head had been cut off down thru to the other side, but not extending past the inner edge of the clamp. Used the first nut as a jam nut and locked it place with the second one. After that, I used a larger washer, put on the hilift, then another big washer, lock washer and the nut.

erickpl 11-17-2011 01:25 PM

If y'all want, I can take one of them apart and photograph it if it'd help.

Patrick, 6436K54 is the black-oxide steel clamp, so yes, that'd be the P/N for the 2.25" ones I used.

If you want zinc plated: 2380K48
303 Stainless: 6436K107
316 Stainless: 9633T42
Aluminum: 6436K159

2003x 11-17-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXST8tj (Post 1752358)
oh, ok....so not using a bolt from the backside.....using a threaded stud/rod from the outside. that makes sense.

Have kfdjason7620 make you a set. He is going to make me a set and send them to me as I do not have access to the tools needed. :thumb:

kfdjason7620 11-17-2011 01:35 PM

For the price, the black oxide is the best way to go

2003x 11-17-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1751760)

Your padding is lot thinner then in my 2003. My only issue will be to figure out how to get the padding back over the clamps to make it look clean, because there is a zipper on each side of the roll bar. I don't want to have to cut the padding. I will see when I go to install them.

erickpl 11-17-2011 02:58 PM

Actually, the thicker padding would work better than my old padding. If you cut the underlying padding below the cover such that it would be where the clamps are, they'll fit darn near perfectly. You just need to cut a hole for the bolts and reinforce that new hole with some more stitching so it doesn't fray.

My padding was so thin, the zippers broke, so I ended up pulling all my padding off... I'd LOVE to find a set of newer, thick padding for cheap so I could go back to using it!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.