Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Headlight kill switch? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/headlight-kill-switch-1239.html)

Tacoma 03-03-2006 11:11 PM

Headlight kill switch?

I got buisy today and forgot to kill the headlights when I parked at work. Cost me my lunch hr of hunting/favors to get a jump. I love allot of things about my yj but this "al la 60's the lights stay on when you kill the ignition " !#$% isn't one of them . Before I design a relay circut to shut the lights off with the ignition, is there a aftermarket fix that can be bought? Somebody has to have fixed this already, Yes?

yjswampthing 03-04-2006 02:13 AM

Same exact thing happened to me I was actually wondering what could be done about it. Are you thinking an automatic shut off or a buzzer?

Tacoma 03-04-2006 08:06 AM

I'm thinking that this issue has been around long enough that SOMEBODY must make a plug in module to fix it. If I have to, I'm thinking that I can run a $6 light/horn Relay in the inbound power leg to the switch and energize the relay off anyswitched power ( like but lighter etc). This would only allow headlights to be on when the ignition is on. Will likely do the same for my fogs when I install them.

NiteDog 03-09-2006 08:34 PM

I don't know of an existing headlight reminder or time delay for shut down. I know they exit in my wife XJ. Sounds like you have the fix.

The other option is to find the circuit controls from an XJ and adapt them.

whiteyj 03-10-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma
I'm thinking that this issue has been around long enough that SOMEBODY must make a plug in module to fix it. If I have to, I'm thinking that I can run a $6 light/horn Relay in the inbound power leg to the switch and energize the relay off anyswitched power ( like but lighter etc). This would only allow headlights to be on when the ignition is on. Will likely do the same for my fogs when I install them.

Now there's a useful solution. I've managed to run the fogs and ham gear off a switched power source. But I too have suffered the embarissing click-click start to a lunch hour!

Nobodyhome1313 06-25-2015 03:51 PM

You can use something like this in the circuit, in conjunction with a higher power relay would probably be a good idea:
Link: http://amzn.com/B0058M0SSY

smayott 06-26-2015 06:01 AM

Why wouldn't a relay in line of the light switch power work? Wire the relay power trigger to a power source that is key on only. When that power is not on it breaks the source power to the light switch.

cad 06-27-2015 05:06 PM

if you dont want a time delay circuit you can use a power relay.. cut the power to the switch splice in the relay run pin 85 to a 12 ignition source.. as soon as you cut the key off lights are off.. or something like this is what im gonna go with.. Beuler BU508TD 12 VDC Automotive 4-Pin SPST Time Delay Relay with adjustable timing

Biohazard 294 06-27-2015 09:01 PM

Yea, I presented this problem that I have noticed before on JeepForum, one of the members was nice enough to take the time and draw a rough sketch of relay that used a buzzer to warn you when the engine was off and the lights were still on. Sadly however; I never saved the image and there is no way of getting it back since I am now banned from that forum and all of my posts would have been deleted.

I will say though that I would believe the buzzer to be a better way to do it for me. I sometimes need the lights on when I would prefer to have the jeep off, and I'd be alight with having a buzzer going off at that time. That way you're not taking away a function of the jeep that one would normally have. Do what you want though; me, I'm going to try and find another map for the buzzer so that I can finally get that done.

I do have to say though: I Love everything about the YJ's, except for the times where you get the dead battery click because you never turned the headlights off.

cad 06-27-2015 09:14 PM

You need a normally closed 12v relay and a 12v buzzer. . When you turn on ignition the relay opens and nothing happens. . When ign off the relay closes and power from headlight circuit makes it buzz.. pretty simple circuit I could give greater detail if needed