Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   AEV ProCal and TPMS -2012 JK (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/aev-procal-and-tpms-2012-jk-123984.html)

Vulcan Classic 11-22-2011 06:18 PM

AEV ProCal and TPMS -2012 JK

Ok so I bought some 33x12.5-15' wheels and tires with TPMS sensors from DTD; all was well until a couple of days ago when the damn light started flashing for about a minute, then stays on whenever I start my Jeep. I was running at 32 PSI (max. load inflation rating on the Duratracs is 35 PSI).

The OEM rocommended pressure rating for the stock BFG MT/KM's is 37 PSI.
I tried airing back up all the way around to 35, then 38, then 40 PSI but still can't get the light to clear/reset. (Yes, I drove it enough to allow for it to clrear/reset, a good 25 or 30 miles on interstate)

I talked to a local Jeep dealer and they claim it needs to be put on an analyzer ($95 min.) to determine if the TPMS system failed or a bad sensor.

DTD is willing to refund my cost for the 5 sensors, so if I go this route, will the AEV Procal work to disable the TPMS even if I do have a bad sensor?

Thanks!

ssach 11-22-2011 06:30 PM

I spoke to my local 4X4 shop and they said the 2012 procal from AEV would be able to set the sensor to 0 to avoid the light coming on. This is great since I sold the wheels, tires and TPMS as a package. I also and that a good tire gauge check once in a while is better than an annoying light.

willee51 11-22-2011 06:34 PM

What;;;;;;;;;;;;

I switched from 255/75 17's (stock) to 285/70 17 Duratrac's. The 4x4 shop inflated to 35-psi and the ride felt every bump on the pavement.

The Wolfman told me to go to 30-psi for an improved ride and longer tire-life.

Tire sensors, have never been a problem with the change. I was told as long as all 5-tires are about the same, no-problem! Must be right :thumb:

ESP 11-22-2011 06:40 PM

The max cold psi on your tires is 35. Do not fill them to this level or your door rating because you are no longer running the tires that came stock on your Jeep. The correct psi for your tires is 28-30 max cold.

kbwwolf 11-22-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan Classic (Post 1765091)
Ok so I bought some 33x12.5-15' wheels and tires with TPMS sensors from DTD; all was well until a couple of days ago when the damn light started flashing for about a minute, then stays on whenever I start my Jeep. I was running at 32 PSI (max. load inflation rating on the Duratracs is 35 PSI).

The OEM rocommended pressure rating for the stock BFG MT/KM's is 37 PSI.
I tried airing back up all the way around to 35, then 38, then 40 PSI but still can't get the light to clear/reset. (Yes, I drove it enough to allow for it to clrear/reset, a good 25 or 30 miles on interstate)

I talked to a local Jeep dealer and they claim it needs to be put on an analyzer ($95 min.) to determine if the TPMS system failed or a bad sensor.

DTD is willing to refund my cost for the 5 sensors, so if I go this route, will the AEV Procal work to disable the TPMS even if I do have a bad sensor?

Thanks!

Most tire shops overinflate tires on 4x4's. ESP's advice (above) is correct. 28-30 PSI for your 33's.

As for the TPMS sensors, they serve a purpose, although they seem to cause more trouble than they're worth for people who buy new (bigger) tires for their Jeeps. Weather affects them. They have batteries that may need replacement. Sometimes they just go bad.

Most likely, the ones in your tires are set to read what DTD "thinks" should be the proper inflation for a 33" tire. I'll bet they're high by at least 5 PSI.

I bought a Procal to disable mine for just that reason. I don't think I've rolled without a tire gauge since I was a teenager.

Some reading for you:

Tire air pressure sensor

Vulcan Classic 11-22-2011 07:11 PM

They are supposedly OEM Mopar sensors rated at 433Mhz, self-learning so they should sync to the computer, but after four days I assume SUM TING WONG!

Again , I ask, if I buy the ProCal will it clear the chime/light even if I have a bad sensor, though I'm not sure at this point. Ideally, I'd like to set it for 24-25 PSI low threshold, and run my 33x12.5-15's at 28-30PSI and still utilize the TPMS.

kbwwolf 11-22-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan Classic (Post 1765265)
They are supposedly OEM Mopar sensors rated at 433Mhz, self-learning so they should sync to the computer, but after four days I assume SUM TING WONG!

Again , I ask, if I buy the ProCal will it clear the chime/light even if I have a bad sensor, though I'm not sure at this point. Ideally, I'd like to set it for 24-25 PSI low threshold, and run my 33x12.5-15's at 28-30PSI and still utilize the TPMS.

Wish I could answer that...

Setting them for a low threshold SHOULD work, though I suppose a sensor could malfunction and give a bad reading regardless of what it was set for. They do have microprocessors in them.

Maybe somebody'll chime in who's had one go wacky on them.

ztrain9 11-22-2011 07:56 PM

Get the pro cal and u can set what psi u want,that way u can air up or down whenever without annoying light. Plus this unit is pretty cool,reset gearing,speedo lots of stuff, you set up unit and turn key on,plug in pro cal horn beeps turn key off pullout pro cal and your done.awesome product for the price.:punk:

Vulcan Classic 11-22-2011 08:08 PM

I just ordered the ProCal, we'll see what happens!

kbwwolf 11-22-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan Classic (Post 1765402)
I just ordered the ProCal, we'll see what happens!

:thumb:

Even if it won't fix your TPMS problem (which would surprise me), it does a # of other things that can be helpful in setting up your Jeep.

Let us know if it fixes the sensor issue, though...I've done some digging, on and off, since my last post in this thread, and have yet to find an instance where the Procal didn't solve whatever problem someone was having with TPMS.

Vulcan Classic 11-29-2011 04:51 PM

OK I got my ProCal today and was able to disable the TPMS by setting the low threshold to 0 PSI. This cleared the light from coming on. However, when I tried to set an alternate setting, the light came back on, so I'm assuming I have a bad sensor somewhere. I will eventually rotate in the spare at my first rotation and test drive to try and figure out if I got a bad sensor or sensors.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the TPMS feature enabled at a lower running pressure for my 33's at 28-30 PSI with the low threshold around 24 PSI. But at least the annoying light is off for now.

I also re-calibrated my tire size to 32.75" to correct the speedometer and odometer.

rics1997 11-29-2011 05:57 PM

The 28-30psi is for the most part right for true 33X12.5X15 tires. That is because they are class C tires in most cases. The Metric LT truck tires should be set to 35psi for most tires in that class. The tires are not the same. On LT tire lowering the PSI to 30 PSI might give a better ride but not better MPG or tire life

daggo66 11-29-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willee51 (Post 1765154)
Tire sensors, have never been a problem with the change. I was told as long as all 5-tires are about the same, no-problem! Must be right :thumb:

That is incorrect information. They are set at a specific threshold based on the tires that are stock for the vehicle. Think about it, what good would a warning system be if it didn't activate because all 4 tires were flat, (same psi) :rolleyes:

daggo66 11-29-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan Classic (Post 1782917)
OK I got my ProCal today and was able to disable the TPMS by setting the low threshold to 0 PSI. This cleared the light from coming on. However, when I tried to set an alternate setting, the light came back on, so I'm assuming I have a bad sensor somewhere. I will eventually rotate in the spare at my first rotation and test drive to try and figure out if I got a bad sensor or sensors.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the TPMS feature enabled at a lower running pressure for my 33's at 28-30 PSI with the low threshold around 24 PSI. But at least the annoying light is off for now.

I also re-calibrated my tire size to 32.75" to correct the speedometer and odometer.

If you have a bad sensor, the light will blink for 75 seconds and then remain lit. If you have a low tire, it will read "low tire pressure" on your odometer when you start the engine.

Vulcan Classic 11-30-2011 08:59 AM

Apparently bad sensor then, that is exactly what its doing. Does anyone know what the proper sensor is for 2012 models? I ordered the sensors pre-installed with my new tires and wheels from DTD, supposedly Mopar OEM sensors with 433MHZ specs. Is this the proper sensor? I read some Chrysler vehicles use a 315MHZ sensor. The light did not come on until about 8 days after I swapped my wheels/tires. It seemed to initially come on when the weather first changed here in NC and haven't been able to get it to clear since. I was running the 33's at 32-33 PSI at the time.

3JKs1H1 11-30-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan Classic (Post 1784712)
Apparently bad sensor then, that is exactly what its doing. Does anyone know what the proper sensor is for 2012 models? I ordered the sensors pre-installed with my new tires and wheels from DTD, supposedly Mopar OEM sensors with 433MHZ specs. Is this the proper sensor? I read some Chrysler vehicles use a 315MHZ sensor. The light did not come on until about 8 days after I swapped my wheels/tires. It seemed to initially come on when the weather first changed here in NC and haven't been able to get it to clear since. I was running the 33's at 32-33 PSI at the time.

Jeep TPMS 56029479 2010-12, $109 for a set off ebay, worked on my 2012.

goofygrin 11-30-2011 10:47 AM

You can use the procal to recalibrate your tire size as well (odo, speedo and trans shift points for auto are all affected).

Vulcan Classic 12-02-2011 08:17 PM

Looks like I may have the wrong sensors installed...according to my invoice the part # is 56029359AA; this is not the match for a 2012 Wrangler; I believe it should be a 56029479AB or 56029465AC

Barmanvarn 12-02-2011 08:19 PM

I opted to just not get sensors on my new tires.... just bought the procal and will set the min PSI to 0.

bengen1 01-09-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan Classic (Post 1793400)
Looks like I may have the wrong sensors installed...according to my invoice the part # is 56029359AA; this is not the match for a 2012 Wrangler; I believe it should be a 56029479AB or 56029465AC

i got my new rims from tirerack and they sent me 315 Mhz..and had a set of 285 70 17's mounted and after driving about 200 miles over a 4 day period no light until this morning it came on immediately..checked all tires n all set to 32 psi...I do have the stock spare still on tailgate, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't read the spare and only road driven tires...guess Ill spend more money and get a procal now....:facepalm:

razdds2 01-09-2012 09:02 PM

How on earth do your duratracs say that max psi is 35 cold. mine say 80 psi cold...and DTD sent them to me at 70 psi!!!!

sunnykk 01-09-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razdds2
How on earth do your duratracs say that max psi is 35 cold. mine say 80 psi cold...and DTD sent them to me at 70 psi!!!!

There are two kinds. Yours is probably the C rating. The D or higher rating tire has a higher psi.

HogDriver 01-10-2012 06:27 AM

Procal and TPMS

I bought the 2012 Procal primarily for the TPMS settings. When I installed 35 inch Nitto M/T I initially had to run 35 psi to keep the TPMS happy. It road really rough at 35 psi. Then I got the Procal and set the low pressure alarm to 28 psi and I run 30 psi which is much nicer. Right now 30 psi seems to be okay with the TPMS.

OutlawJK 01-10-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengen1

i got my new rims from tirerack and they sent me 315 Mhz..and had a set of 285 70 17's mounted and after driving about 200 miles over a 4 day period no light until this morning it came on immediately..checked all tires n all set to 32 psi...I do have the stock spare still on tailgate, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't read the spare and only road driven tires...guess Ill spend more money and get a procal now....:facepalm:

I was told it reads all 5 including the spare
I left off the sensors when I got new wheels and just programmed it to 0
With the Pro Cal
Wasn't worth the hassle
No lights anytime even when I air down

daggo66 01-10-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawJK (Post 1906522)
I was told it reads all 5 including the spare
I left off the sensors when I got new wheels and just programmed it to 0
With the Pro Cal
Wasn't worth the hassle
No lights anytime even when I air down

It only "senses" the tires that are rolling. It "reads" the spare when it's in use.

OutlawJK 01-10-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

It only "senses" the tires that are rolling. It "reads" the spare when it's in use.

Have any data to show that?
Local dealer told me it reads the spare

Not doubting you be we could go back and forth unless we get a confirmation
Of the facts

daggo66 01-10-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawJK (Post 1906532)
Have any data to show that?
Local dealer told me it reads the spare

Not doubting you be we could go back and forth unless we get a confirmation
Of the facts

Your local dealer is a dumb a$$. It's right in the owner's manual.

A tire pressure monitoring sensor is located in the spare
wheel if the vehicle is equipped with a matching full size
spare wheel and tire assembly. The matching full size spare
tire can be used in place of any of the four road tires. A low
spare tire will not cause the “Tire Pressure Monitoring
Telltale Light” to illuminate or the chime to sound.

Zombie4x4 01-10-2012 07:46 AM

they use short range RF to communicate to the vehicle, the recievers are located at the wheel hub where on there they are placed exactly i forget but that is where all vehicles have them for similar TPMS so like daggo66 said it reads your spare when in use but not while its on the back because frankly that would be useless why do i care if my spare is flat is its not being used i can visually see it it had no air in it.

Dick Blonov 01-10-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1783597)
If you have a bad sensor, the light will blink for 75 seconds and then remain lit. If you have a low tire, it will read "low tire pressure" on your odometer when you start the engine.

If you have a dead sensor, I agree. If the sensor is misreading the pressure (as one of mine did), you get the low tire pressure. FYI.

DB

MarineHawk 01-10-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogDriver (Post 1906491)
I bought the 2012 Procal primarily for the TPMS settings. When I installed 35 inch Nitto M/T I initially had to run 35 psi to keep the TPMS happy. It road really rough at 35 psi. Then I got the Procal and set the low pressure alarm to 28 psi and I run 30 psi which is much nicer. Right now 30 psi seems to be okay with the TPMS.

What is the "2012 Procal"? Or do you just mean the latest version? Do you need a special edition for the 2012 JK? On AEV's website, it just seems to have one version.