Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Oil Pump Drive Gear - HELP PLEASE! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/oil-pump-drive-gear-help-please-124045.html)

Rolf 11-23-2011 01:59 AM

Oil Pump Drive Gear - HELP PLEASE!

I am in desperate need for some help.

I have been getting code P0340 intermittantly over the last couple of days.

So last night I decided to remove the Cam Position Sensor and see if I can see any visible problem. On removal I could see that some tool tightened the bracket for the oil pump drive too tight at some point so the rim of the drive has a piece missing - not a major disaster I would think as it does look like the shaft is still sealing well against the gasket. This however is not my problem.

I removed the oil pump drive from the block to check the problematic drive gear that I have read about, noting the position before I removed it.

After reinstalling everything it won't start. The engine turns over but nothing. I must have done somthing wrong in the process it seems so I recon the CMP sensor relationship must be reestablished, as the manual states.

I have read the complete instructions in the manual but something does not make sense to me. You are supposed to install a toothpick through the drive housing and the hole in the pulse ring. Not a problem. The problem comes with what needs to follow. You are supposed to remove the coil rail and spark plug #1 and rotate the crank, etc. Still in theory not a problem.

This is what needs to happen next:

1. Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump.
2. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt.
3. Remove toothpick from housing.

According to me step 2 is not possible with the toothpick still there. As soon as you rotate the oil pump drive housing the toothpick will break. Am I missing something?

This is my main mode of transport so I need some advice please.

brokejeep 11-23-2011 02:22 PM

You should be able to bring the engine to tdc & reinstall opda with a pin aligning the tone wheel to the housing. The screw holes that hold the plastic cover on should be parallel withe the side of the engine block & valve cover. I have removed mine twice. Both times I rolled the engine with a wrench on the crank till the hole in the tone wheel lined up with the one in the housing. Put in the pin unhooked the wires & removed.

paulpa 11-24-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolf (Post 1766034)
I am in desperate need for some help.

I have been getting code P0340 intermittantly over the last couple of days.

So last night I decided to remove the Cam Position Sensor and see if I can see any visible problem. On removal I could see that some tool tightened the bracket for the oil pump drive too tight at some point so the rim of the drive has a piece missing - not a major disaster I would think as it does look like the shaft is still sealing well against the gasket. This however is not my problem.

I removed the oil pump drive from the block to check the problematic drive gear that I have read about, noting the position before I removed it.

After reinstalling everything it won't start. The engine turns over but nothing. I must have done somthing wrong in the process it seems so I recon the CMP sensor relationship must be reestablished, as the manual states.

I have read the complete instructions in the manual but something does not make sense to me. You are supposed to install a toothpick through the drive housing and the hole in the pulse ring. Not a problem. The problem comes with what needs to follow. You are supposed to remove the coil rail and spark plug #1 and rotate the crank, etc. Still in theory not a problem.

This is what needs to happen next:

1. Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump.
2. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt.
3. Remove toothpick from housing.

According to me step 2 is not possible with the toothpick still there. As soon as you rotate the oil pump drive housing the toothpick will break. Am I missing something?

This is my main mode of transport so I need some advice please.

rotate the oil pump wth a long srewdriver,not the shaft on the assembly,the pump itself.

Rolf 11-24-2011 12:58 PM

Thanks Paul, I managed to figure that out today and she now purrs again :thumb: