Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   anti rock or quick discos (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/anti-rock-or-quick-discos-124765.html)

6InARowMakesItGo 11-27-2011 02:31 PM

anti rock or quick discos

I don't have either yet. i've been waiting because i keep worrying about the extra body roll from the anti rock on the street. i like that you don't have to disconnect it but would those of you that have one say the body roll is worth it? or is it not even noticeable? i'm leaning towards the quick disconnects right now because i don't like body roll during dd.

Ageless Stranger 11-27-2011 02:37 PM

I've had both. Started with JKS discos and have the Antirock now. Love the Antirock. Wouldn't dream of going back. But I drove mine on the road with the factory swaybar disconnected from time to time, so the slightly more pronounced body roll of the Antirock doesn't bother me at all.

Want to add a poll to the thread so we can vote?

BillG.OTD 11-27-2011 02:42 PM

I just ordered the Currie set up after doing research...here is a recent thread...I may know where you can get a set of quick discos....going either way you will see a great improvement

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/curr...ar-123632.html

Imped 11-27-2011 03:03 PM

Antirock, no questions asked. Not having the influence of a sway bar with link suspension off the road puts you at a big disadvantage. The extra body roll is much less than what you're thinking.

Michigunman 11-27-2011 03:08 PM

It's on my list of things to add over the winter. Hoping my Bestop High Rock bumper does not interfere.

TJDave 11-27-2011 03:15 PM

Have had both also. Antirock all the way. The little bit of extra body roll on the street is no big deal, and I have mine on the loosest setting. Drive it like a Jeep.

If mine was a daily driver I might have it on a tighter setting...........

Meh, No I wouldn't!:)

stangmata 11-27-2011 03:26 PM

I've had both and the anitrock wins hands down. The extra body roll is minimal and you don't even notice it after a few days of driving. I have mine on the middle setting.

I HATED wheeling with my discos. They never cooperated.

doclouie 11-27-2011 05:43 PM

Well I would have to say I disagree. My wheeling buddy has the Antirock on his and I completely hate driving it. Too much body roll for me. I like to keep it as solid as I can on the road. Mine is a DD and I much prefer my JKS disconnects.

Imped 11-27-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 1776820)
Well I would have to say I disagree. My wheeling buddy has the Antirock on his and I completely hate driving it. Too much body roll for me. I like to keep it as solid as I can on the road. Mine is a DD and I much prefer my JKS disconnects.

Then your buddy has other issues--too tall, not wide enough, crappy suspension geometry, rubber bushings abound, etc.

I only speak about my experience with the Antirock from the perspective of a well-built, relatively low/wide TJ that happens to handle awesome. And no, I don't "drive it like a Jeep." I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell I've got an AR if you drove it. And that's on the road. Off the road, being disconnected sucks huge balls and that's where your pricey JKS links aren't doing you any good.

6InARowMakesItGo 11-27-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 1776358)
I've had both. Started with JKS discos and have the Antirock now. Love the Antirock. Wouldn't dream of going back. But I drove mine on the road with the factory swaybar disconnected from time to time, so the slightly more pronounced body roll of the Antirock doesn't bother me at all.

Want to add a poll to the thread so we can vote?

im not sure how to add the poll now that the thread is started. if you can do it then go for it.

JeepWrangler4x4 11-27-2011 08:35 PM

eh no sway bar roll isnt that bad... ive had no sway bar in my jeep for over a year now, and im used to it i guess, doesnt bother me one bit, but im lookin at the antirock stuff now, looks pretty interesting.

Ageless Stranger 11-27-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 1776922)
Then your buddy has other issues--too tall, not wide enough, crappy suspension geometry, rubber bushings abound, etc.

I only speak about my experience with the Antirock from the perspective of a well-built, relatively low/wide TJ that happens to handle awesome. And no, I don't "drive it like a Jeep." I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell I've got an AR if you drove it. And that's on the road. Off the road, being disconnected sucks huge balls and that's where your pricey JKS links aren't doing you any good.

You think the JKS discos are pricey compared to the Antirock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6InARowMakesItGo (Post 1776923)
im not sure how to add the poll now that the thread is started. if you can do it then go for it.

I'll add it for you.

6InARowMakesItGo 11-27-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 1777404)

I'll add it for you.

thanks

IslandTJ 11-27-2011 09:09 PM

I run a dual rate anti-sway bar - the ORO SwayLOC, it's the best of both worlds, street and off road. The SwayLOC is definitely in my top 3 list of Jeep upgrades, it is so much better than quick disconnects. I ran Teraflex's disconnects for 5+ years and after replacing it with an off road purpose swaybar, I wouldn't go back.

Imped 11-27-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWrangler4x4 (Post 1777363)
looks pretty interesting.

There's nothing interesting about it. It's simple logic. Sit down and think about what's going on with a link suspension during articulation. It should become apparent that sway bars are a bit more important than you first thought. You won't find a serious or comp rig on links without sway bars at both ends for very good reasons.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 1777404)
You think the JKS discos are pricey compared to the Antirock?

Considering the AR actually does something for you when off the road, hell yes. $150 for something that provides ZERO benefit is a lot of money. And if anything, the AR makes on-road driving more enjoyable since the suspension can react to terrain as opposed to bouncing over it due to an overly-stiff bar. I feel more comfortable driving in a 'spirited' manner (which I do almost all the time) in my current TJ than I did back when I had JKS links.

6InARowMakesItGo 11-27-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 1777592)

Considering the AR actually does something for you when off the road, hell yes. $150 for something that provides ZERO benefit is a lot of money. And if anything, the AR makes on-road driving more enjoyable since the suspension can react to terrain as opposed to bouncing over it due to an overly-stiff bar. I feel more comfortable driving in a 'spirited' manner (which I do almost all the time) in my current TJ than I did back when I had JKS links.

thanks for explaining that part. it had me wondering too.

AntiTrust 11-27-2011 09:31 PM

i would go as far as saying quick disco's provide zero benefit.. but after doing all the reading on this that i have i would say antirock in a heartbeat :)

Arch Stanton 11-27-2011 09:32 PM

Could the AR be used with a stock TJ or one with a 1 to 2" lift?

Ageless Stranger 11-27-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 1777592)

You're comparing return on investment instead of upfront cost, which is double for the AR. I'm with you now.
Either way, Antirock FTW!
:thumb:

Ageless Stranger 11-27-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton (Post 1777663)
Could the AR be used with a stock TJ or one with a 1 to 2" lift?

Yes.

Arch Stanton 11-27-2011 09:50 PM

Thanks. Sounds like a good option to add on a TJ. Have a good one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 1777717)
Yes.

HarryJeepGuy 11-27-2011 09:59 PM

I understand how an anti-rock would work better on the trail, but just wondering how it compares to being disconnected on a ramp? (I understand that ramp scores aren't as important, just trying to get a better idea of travel). My disco bushings are old and tired, and have been planning on upgrading.
2nd question... Lots of deer around here, on a dd, would you worry about losing control or flipping on a instinctive hard swerve at 45 mph with the anti-rock on it's loose setting?

Ageless Stranger 11-27-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton (Post 1777731)
Thanks. Sounds like a good option to add on a TJ. Have a good one!

No problem. I should probably add, fyi, that you'll have to cut the links off (shorten them) because they will be too long. You must cut equal lengths off each end because they are reverse threads on one side to make it adjustable while on the vehicle.

I have a 2 1/2" OME lift and I had to cut the links on mine.

Arch Stanton 11-27-2011 10:27 PM

That's a good question! I've swerved more avoiding animals, especially at night. There were a couple of dead does on the road that were hit last night or early this morning. One ran in front of me on the way home from church last night. It's almost instinctive to swerve and try to avoid hitting one. Maybe some will chime in who has the AR and has swerved to avoid hitting a deer or something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryJeepGuy (Post 1777760)
I understand how an anti-rock would work better on the trail, but just wondering how it compares to being disconnected on a ramp? (I understand that ramp scores aren't as important, just trying to get a better idea of travel). My disco bushings are old and tired, and have been planning on upgrading.
2nd question... Lots of deer around here, on a dd, would you worry about losing control or flipping on a instinctive hard swerve at 45 mph with the anti-rock on it's loose setting?

Arch Stanton 11-27-2011 10:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up regarding the sway bar links!:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 1777763)
No problem. I should probably add, fyi, that you'll have to cut the links off (shorten them) because they will be too long. You must cut equal lengths off each end because they are reverse threads on one side to make it adjustable while on the vehicle.

I have a 2 1/2" OME lift and I had to cut the links on mine.

HarryJeepGuy 11-27-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton
That's a good question! I've swerved more avoiding animals, especially at night. There were a couple of dead does on the road that were hit last night or early this morning. One ran in front of me on the way home from church last night. It's almost instinctive to swerve and try to avoid hitting one. Maybe some will chime in who has the AR and has swerved to avoid hitting a deer or something else.

I had to ask, that's the only thing that has kept me from getting one. Swerving to miss animals is at least a weekly occurrence here. WV has the highest rate of deer related accidents, and it's no BS. All the adds have a disclaimer that it is different than having a connected sway bar, and I figured driving off a cliff or rolling wasn't worth it, especially seeing how my Jeep is a dd. I keep hearing all the benefits, but just have to wonder. Just stopped to help a guy that pasted an 8pt right in front of me last week, was pretty impressive. I didn't know a Cobalt radiator wouldn't leak a drop when it was bent into a V! Wonder if it would replace a TJ's... Lol. I've made some drastic maneuvers on our goat paths here that pass for roads avoiding accidents, yet I've still tucked 3 decent deer under the Jeep when it was unavoidable. Count in ducking a few probably drunk drivers (also a WV claim to fame), and I wonder how well it would work out. Anyone taken drastic advasive maneuvers with the Anti-rock?

Jerry Bransford 11-27-2011 10:58 PM

A very important unmentioned factor that affects if an Antirock makes a TJ feel sloppy or well controlled is the shock absorber. If a soft, cheap, or worn out shock is installed with an Antirock, expect looser handling but with good quality shocks, it handles fine.

I keep my daily driver TJ's Antirock permanently on its loosest setting yet with my OME Nitrocharger shocks, it handles like it is on rails. And with my TJ on tight twisty curvy mountain roads a lot since they are how I get out to the desert, I don't make that statement easily. So it's not really just the Antirock, you simply need to make sure the rest of your TJ is properly set up for things like an Antirock and if you don't already have them, good quality shock absorbers should be on your short list when installing an Antirock.

After having had quick discos and an Antirock on both of my TJs, I wouldn't even have quick discos on my short list of things to be considered. :)

HarryJeepGuy 11-27-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
A very important unmentioned factor that affects if an Antirock makes a TJ feel sloppy or well controlled is the shock absorber. If a soft, cheap, or worn out shock is installed with an Antirock, expect looser handling but with good quality shocks, it handles fine.

I keep my daily driver TJ's Antirock permanently on its loosest setting yet with my OME Nitrocharger shocks, it handles like it is on rails. And with my TJ on tight twisty curvy mountain roads a lot since they are how I get out to the desert, I don't make that statement easily. So it's not really just the Antirock, you simply need to make sure the rest of your TJ is properly set up for things like an Antirock and if you don't already have them, good quality shock absorbers should be on your short list when installing an Antirock.

After having had quick discos and an Antirock on both of my TJs, I wouldn't even have quick discos on my short list of things to be considered. :)

I have OME Nitrochargers and OME 4" lift springs, so the ride is pretty solid. Was just wondering about the swift maneuvers and saftey concerns. Sounds like I'm ok there.
How about on the ramp, would you score better disconnected or with the AR?

Arch Stanton 11-28-2011 07:26 AM

With quality shocks like the OME Nitrochargers and the tightest setting on the AR, would it be close to stock as far as being safe on pavement? If I installed the AR, it would be with 1 to 2" lift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1777928)

subtlez28 11-28-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton (Post 1778379)
With quality shocks like the OME Nitrochargers and the tightest setting on the AR, would it be close to stock as far as being safe on pavement? If I installed the AR, it would be with 1 to 2" lift.

This is my question also. I currently run a larger aftermarket (Addco) bar. On road handling does matter to me, I come from a road racing back ground. I like the idea of the AR on a loose setting on the trail as apposed to disconnected, but, would want as much roll resistance as it offers on the street. I am ok with swapping the end link position for the trail.

If even at its tightest (shortest) position it is less than stock rate (from what I have read), has anyone tried making a similar kit with a larger diameter splined sway bar?

Circle track parts places offer splined sway bar stock in about any diameter (within reason). They also sell ends similar to the AR. I wonder about drilling a mount hole at the far rear end for trails, and shorter toward the bar (less leverage) for the street.

I cannot be the 1st one to have thought of that. Who has tried it?