Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   replace radiator? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/replace-radiator-125.html)

khenderson 05-07-2005 02:02 PM

replace radiator?

my heep has 124K on it and the radiator has just started to leak, and as far as i know, it's the factory original. should i just replace it or try to track down the leak and see if i can fix it? checked connections at the hoses and it doesn't look like it's coming from there, but that's about as far as i got for now. i can get a new one from radiator barn for 127.43 shipped. what do you all think?

amerijeep 05-07-2005 08:00 PM

I'm thinking you can have that radiator reworked for about $30. I haven't had one done in a few years, but it usually quite reasonable. I'd check with a radiator shop and see what they say.

odanny 05-07-2005 08:24 PM

Well, I don't know what model radiator you have, if you have the infamous one with the plastic top you should replace it, if it is one of the beefier ones you can try and fix the leak.

khenderson 05-08-2005 02:50 PM

i don't know what i've got either, but i've got a 97 se, so i'm sure that i have the one with the plastic top, and I have heard absolutely wonderful things about it. that's one of the reasons i was pondering replacing it rather than looking to get it fixed.

odanny 05-08-2005 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khenderson
i don't know what i've got either, but i've got a 97 se, so i'm sure that i have the one with the plastic top, and I have heard absolutely wonderful things about it. that's one of the reasons i was pondering replacing it rather than looking to get it fixed.

All I can say is that I'm surprised the original lasted that long! Mine did not make it over 30K miles.

JeepCrawler98 05-09-2005 10:52 AM

I've got a 110K on my factory original in my SE - it's not leaking, but I need to replace it soon since it's not working as well as it used to. You can't get the radiators with the plastic tanks redone - it's not something the avg. radiator shop can re-crimp on there. The radiatorbarn price seems like a really good one - that is of course, if it's also a good radiator that will keep its cool in 4-lo.

daddyjeep 05-11-2005 10:41 PM

I read an article on another forum where someone used a Griffin aluminum race car radiator to replace the factory unit. It is a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket aluminum radiator designed for your Jeep but will cool just as well. You will have to fab some brackets. but nothing major. If you have a manual trans you can get r done for less than $200. You can get a tranny cooler for another $50 or so if needed. griffinrad.com part number 1-26182-x $184. That is for a YJ, but it should work for a TJ, just check the measurements.

khenderson 05-11-2005 11:25 PM

racing radiator, huh? that seems like it would handle 4LO sufficiently. may have to look into that.

daddyjeep 05-12-2005 12:09 AM

I saw the article on JeepWire.com

LArry200TJ 06-08-2005 12:43 PM

I have the leak on both 2000 Tjs one is at 60k and the other at 50k, after looking around on other sites it seems to be a common problem. I got replys that the top and bottom are plastic held to the metal core by tabs bent over, they lossen up over time (short time) and can be bent back a little tighter but they will loosen up again through normal expansion and contraction, I have not tried to bend them back fearing I'll crack the plastic. Thus a recorse is to replace the OEM plastic one an inexpensive site I was directed to (raditorbarn.com) sales 2 and 3 core rads about 130 and 160 I think and shipping is included. Not a bad price considering some Ive seen at 2-3 hundred others gave good review of the place I have not yet bought one trying to get evry mile out of the old ones.

khenderson 06-08-2005 03:32 PM

thanks guys.....i tried to make it on a road trip, but it blew up on me. replaced it with a stock one and found that the other had a HUGE crack along the underside of the top cap. but all is good now and my baby is no longer sick. :D

Lugnut 06-15-2005 11:02 AM

Check with DPGOFFROAD. They have some good deals on replacement radiators. Several members of our club have gotten radiators from them.

Buster 06-21-2005 05:43 PM

Mine started to leak at about 82k on my 99TJ, so I just replaced it...didn't seem worth screwing around with it. My wife's is still OEM on her 97TJ with about 75k on it...my .02

tlucier 07-28-2007 05:14 PM

I've got an '01 TJ and mine started leaking at 42K miles. It was leaking at the plastic to metal connection. I replaced it with an aluminum Griffin radiator that I got from Novak Adapters. (www.novak-adapt.com) My Griffin radiator has a cooler in the bottom so I can run the engine oil through it. Still have to buy a kit to make that happen.

tlucier 07-28-2007 05:16 PM

Showin' my newb status...just realized I replied to a FAQ that is 2 years old. :rofl:

Dare2BSquare 07-28-2007 05:57 PM

Going back and reading threads is a good way to learn and catch up on the forum. IMO it's better than just posting away on a topic that has been covered numerous times.

Either way, it's all good...we're here to talk jeeps and old subjects are just as good as any!

machine 09-22-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 110348)
Going back and reading threads is a good way to learn and catch up on the forum. IMO it's better than just posting away on a topic that has been covered numerous times.

Either way, it's all good...we're here to talk jeeps and old subjects are just as good as any!

well then i might as well also.

just got my 98 tj 4cyl and the next day my rads leakin all over the place. mileage at 147k. and btw that dang g-05 was hard to find. had to go to pep boys half an hour to next town and pay $12 a bottle!

99 AZSahara 09-26-2007 11:51 PM

assume u fixed leak?

I had a leak on my 99 4.0 at about 40k. It was leaking from the top and they were able to fix it. 30k later it leaked again so I replaced it myself took about 3 hours.

dweebster 09-27-2007 10:50 AM

if you end up buying a new radiator check where its maid from cause i got one from thailand and it broke with in 3 months

98TJ 10-22-2007 11:26 AM

FYI- I had a leak for a while on my 98 4L. problem was actually a little deeper than the radiator itself. The thermo was stuck in the closed position creating high pressure and heat in the top of the radiator. it actually rusted out the metal cap on the plastic radiator and was leaking from there. i would suggest to anyone replacing theirs to inspect or replace the thermo anyway. mine was like $10 for the 195degree thermo. also replace it during the day since 2am is not so fun.

islandmonkey 07-19-2009 08:27 AM

I was excited to come and see radiator work but admins just put a conversation here. I thought there would be pictures of radiator work or something.........

1BLKJP 07-19-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandmonkey (Post 403834)
I was excited to come and see radiator work but admins just put a conversation here. I thought there would be pictures of radiator work or something.........

That's because this thread was started in 2005. :flipoff:

wiper1015 12-12-2009 06:24 PM

My 99's radiator blew up a few months ago @ about 58K. I replaced it with an Autozone special.

2003wranglerRHD 04-05-2010 12:30 AM

still have stock rad. with 160,000 miles and still going

MCG 04-06-2010 04:02 PM

Mine has a tiny leak and in winter when is cold I can hear a whistle.
I fixed with the Leak thing that they have at the autoparts store but only last ffor a six months.
I planing on getting an alluminum one. I think is a good $500 investment.
In the mean time I will just keep adding coolant once a month or twice a day if I go Off Roading!!!

BTW TJ has 135k and yes the radiator is the original.

EdJonesJeeper 04-06-2010 05:40 PM

99 Sahara with radiator thats been leaking for 3 yrs. Everytime I put fluid in the overflow it drains out in a couple weeks. But has never gone hot and I drive 40+ miles every day. I like the racing radiator idea.
173k org miles, org radiator

CopperCrawler 07-14-2010 01:18 PM

Mine started leaking about six months ago. I read somewhere to put some black pepper in it. They said the black pepper doesn't plug up the heater core, etc like most stop leaks, but it does stop the radiator from leaking. And it had some benefits to the system that I don't remember.

Since I didn't (and still don't) have the money to replace the radiator yet, I tried it. Hasn't leaked since, temp guage still shows the same temp, heater still works fine.

99 Sport w/105,000 mi and original radiator.

Chuck

EdJonesJeeper 08-02-2010 06:34 PM

Purchased Champion Cooling 3 row and I'll post some pics for the install come Friday for "toys for rocks" saturday event.

530ktm 08-02-2010 06:39 PM

This thread is older than my radiator.

dr_donahue 01-20-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 530ktm (Post 709860)
This thread is older than my radiator.

Lol love it.

Anyways bringing this zombie thread back lol. My radiator is on it's last life I think. I just hit 130K on the stock radiator and it's going through coolant about once a month and to add to the issues, brown gunk it building up in it, not sure if it's a head gasket leaking oil into it or what. There's no puddle's underneath when park so not sure where it's leaking.

Also heat from the vents is luke warm, I have to keep the fan at 2 since at 1 I won't feel the heat and at 3 or higher, it's blowing too fast to feel the heat, just cool air...

Should I just replace the radiator or just the hoses (and thermostat) right now? How much should I expect a normal shop (read: not a dealership) to charge me for a radiator replacement?

Thanks fellow Jeepers :)