Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Non-YJ Day, but... its my own fault I guess. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/non-yj-day-but-its-my-own-fault-i-guess-125059.html)

sevenservices 11-29-2011 06:57 AM

Non-YJ Day, but... its my own fault I guess.
 
darn it... :doh: I havn't drove the YJ in about 2 weeks because it was really low on gas. Had to run my sons friends home and was really low without passing a station. So, I figured I'd wait until I could just go straight to the gas station on the way in to work one day. Got up early, got in there to run 'er up for more gas and low and behold... my battery is completely dead from sitting two weeks and its pooring rain like heck, might get snow today as well.

So, Im stuck with the sable today. Heading home at lunch to jump 'er and get going again.

Is it normal for a YJ to run the battery dead sitting for two weeks? We didn't leave anything on??? Let me know if anyone has had a similar symptom. I know my battery is only about a year old and it ALWAYS cranks right up. Not sure whats up this time???

95YamJam 11-29-2011 07:04 AM

My battery gets weak after a 4-5 days. It's old though...

Sorry bout' your luck. Mines ready for the coming snow but most likely i'll be in my truck with the plow.

sevenservices 11-29-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YamJam (Post 1781485)
My battery gets weak after a 4-5 days. It's old though... Sorry bout' your luck. Mines ready for the coming snow but most likely i'll be in my truck with the plow.

I probably need to clean mine again, I was surprised how much voltage can short across the top of the plastic even with minimul grime on there. If anyone wants to try something and you have a volt meter, touch one side to your positive post of the battery and touch the other side to the (nonconductive) plastic on top of the battery. If you see any voltage at all, your battery is shorted across the thin layer of grime. You can poke around on different places and see the voltage change! Its crazy... I had a friend whos kept dying, it looked horrible. I showed him 11 volts going across post to plastic because of the grime! A little bit of baking soda and water goes a long way! It dilutes the acid, you can watch it foam up when you sprinkle it on. Scrub gently then rinse it all away and check for shorts on the plastic again once dry. The volt meter should not show anything when it is only touching the plastic.

By the way, I love your sig "A lack of planning on your part does not constitue an instant emergency on my part" my wife has that sign in her computer store!

sevenservices 11-29-2011 01:34 PM

yup, went home at lunch to try and get 'er going. FOUND THE PROBLEM! As soon as I hooked up the jumper cables to my sable, the under dash lights came on. :facepalm:

been using them more often now that its getting dark around 5:30pm. All the kids have a hard time climbing in and out so I put the lights on to help them. ...oops.

On the bright side, (no pun intended) I noticed my battery does need a cleaning. And yeah, I made it to the gas station! I've been told that when the YJ's say empty, THEY ARE! No taking chances with 'em. :whistling:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.