Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   won't start (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/wont-start-125157.html)

two yjs 11-29-2011 04:11 PM

won't start
 
I have replaced the starter and starter relay but it still wont start. It is a 1992 wrangler 4 cyl. When i turn the ignition switch all i get is a click from the starter. Just 1 click not several. I tried jumping the starter with jumper cables direct from the battery but still the same. I can't find any bad wires. I had the new starter tested and it was fine. I checked both battery connections and they seem fine. I cleaned the posts and cable ends. I put in a new battery 4 weeks ago and it is still charged. This quit working all at once. Any suggestions. Thanks

Nubby55 11-29-2011 04:49 PM

I may sound DUMB! but have you had the battery checked?

two yjs 11-29-2011 05:13 PM

Yes I checked it first thing. I've tried everything i can think of.

two yjs 11-29-2011 08:47 PM

I've checked everything I can think of. All the fuses, all the relays, cleans the ground next to the battery and on the engine block and made sure all wires were tight. I'm stumped. I called advance and tomorrow I'm going to exchange this starter for another one, hopefully that's the problem. I just don't understand why it would all the sudden not start, and the starter doesn't fix the problem.

Stephen102938 11-29-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two yjs
I've checked everything I can think of. All the fuses, all the relays, cleans the ground next to the battery and on the engine block and made sure all wires were tight. I'm stumped. I called advance and tomorrow I'm going to exchange this starter for another one, hopefully that's the problem. I just don't understand why it would all the sudden not start, and the starter doesn't fix the problem.

Try a voltage drop test from the positive post to the starter. It should not exceed .5 volts.

Kohrs93 11-29-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen102938 (Post 1783820)
Try a voltage drop test from the positive post to the starter. It should not exceed .5 volts.

How would I go about doing that/what tools would I need?

EDIT: sorry.... forgot to mention that "two yjs" is my dad and it's my jeep. didn't realize I had logged into my account.

Stephen102938 11-30-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohrs93

How would I go about doing that/what tools would I need?

EDIT: sorry.... forgot to mention that "two yjs" is my dad and it's my jeep. didn't realize I had logged into my account.

You only need a multimeter. Disable the ignition first. Then set the multimeter to DC volts. Put one end on the positive post and the other where the positive cable connects to the starter. Have someone try to crank the engine and read the multimeter. if it reads above .5 there is excessive resistance in that cable

Kohrs93 11-30-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen102938 (Post 1784387)
You only need a multimeter. Disable the ignition first. Then set the multimeter to DC volts. Put one end on the positive post and the other where the positive cable connects to the starter. Have someone try to crank the engine and read the multimeter. if it reads above .5 there is excessive resistance in that cable

So if it exceeds .5, does that mean the wire itself is bad?

two yjs 11-30-2011 05:14 PM

The jeep finally started. We replaced the battery cable and it worked. The old cable looked great but after replacing it we took the insulation off and the last 4 inches on the starter end was just a little corroded. I wouldn't think that would be a problem but it was. Thanks for all the help.

Stephen102938 12-01-2011 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two yjs
The jeep finally started. We replaced the battery cable and it worked. The old cable looked great but after replacing it we took the insulation off and the last 4 inches on the starter end was just a little corroded. I wouldn't think that would be a problem but it was. Thanks for all the help.

Glad u got it started!

Stephen102938 12-01-2011 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohrs93

So if it exceeds .5, does that mean the wire itself is bad?

Yes it does. Sorry a little late lol.

sevenservices 12-01-2011 08:50 AM

mine did that once, it was the opposite end of the + battery cable slightly loose at the starter side.

Have someone else click the key over while you watch down on the passenger side of the engine in a somewhat dark area. You'll probably see a spark at the bad connection when it clicks.

kjentz 12-14-2011 07:27 PM

So we are having the same problem with our 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ. We replaced the starter, battery checked out fine. It started right up, ran for a whole day and then quit. When turning the key to start, it doesn't click at all. Could it be something with the clutch sensor?

Stephen102938 12-14-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjentz
So we are having the same problem with our 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ. We replaced the starter, battery checked out fine. It started right up, ran for a whole day and then quit. When turning the key to start, it doesn't click at all. Could it be something with the clutch sensor?

Could be the starter relay. Turn on you headlight and turn the key, have a friend look and see If the lights dim, if not then the starter isn't getting power.

kjentz 12-17-2011 01:17 PM

Ok. We checked and the headlights do not dim. We will be off to get a new starter relay and pray that it fixes the problem.:redface:

kjentz 12-17-2011 03:36 PM

Well replaced the starter relay and nothing. The engine starts when we connect a wire from the positive battery to the solenoid. All new battery cables have been installed. We did a continuity check on all the connections. Could it be something with the clutch or the ignition switch?

Stephen102938 12-20-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjentz
Well replaced the starter relay and nothing. The engine starts when we connect a wire from the positive battery to the solenoid. All new battery cables have been installed. We did a continuity check on all the connections. Could it be something with the clutch or the ignition switch?

That would be my second guess. Does the TJ have a clutch safety switch? I know my YJ does not.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.