Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Full Doors Stolen! Advice? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/full-doors-stolen-advice-125231.html)

Ace48 11-30-2011 02:40 AM

Full Doors Stolen! Advice?

Hi all,

I have a 98 TJ with a Hardtop and formerly had full steel doors until somebody jacked them. Any recomendations on what I should do to fix my jeep?

It has been extremely difficult trying to find full red doors, and I think it would probably cost around $1000+ to do so.

Alternatively, I thought about buying a Bestop Supertop NX with 2 piece soft doors, which would cost about $1000. Maybe sell my hard top to finance purchase?

Another option might be half-doors. Can I run half-doors with a hard top?

I live in Chicago, and the winters can be brutal. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

darkproximity 11-30-2011 02:49 AM

yes you can run half doors with a hard top.. do you by chance have full coverage insurance or just liability?

Ace48 11-30-2011 02:52 AM

Just liabilty unfortunately... Figured I didn't need anything else on a car with over 100k miles. Just had to repair the ignition for $800, and will need to find a new radio as well. Might think about adding coverage after I get everything up and running again.

Any good places to pick up half-doors / windows?

BeaverJeeper 11-30-2011 02:53 AM

oh my! i never put my door bolts back on. i just have the pins resting on the mounts. never thought someone would actually do that sort of thing.

very sorry to hear this happened. =[

can can use half doors with a hardtop. if it were me, i would get full soft doors (soft half doors with soft uppers) to make it thought the winter. though, i'm pretty sure soft doors leak (never had them but it makes sense) use the soft doors until you can find a set of full steel doors.

what a bummer....

darkproximity 11-30-2011 02:54 AM

try craigslist.. i bet right now people are wanting to get rid of half doors cuz they want hard doors.. so you'll pick them up cheaper than any other time of year.. i'd venture to say they'd come with the door tops.. id either try and find body color red, or black since black/red looks good and im guessing your hard top is black..

Garlandxj 11-30-2011 03:07 AM

Full hard doors for Jeep Wrangler

Mismatched set of full hard doors in the chicago area. yuba city?

Not perfect but will get you through the cold

SirGeorgeKillian 11-30-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeaverJeeper
oh my! i never put my door bolts back on. i just have the pins resting on the mounts. never thought someone would actually do that sort of thing.

Bolts or security locks will NOT stop a determined criminal from doing anything. Just sayin.

darkproximity 11-30-2011 06:29 AM

fortunately most crimes are that of opportunity.. if it takes too long to steal they will move on..

SurfKaster 11-30-2011 07:17 AM

CL will be your best bet. Half doors might be easier to come by, but you never know. I personally switched over to half doors with no looking back.

cork1958 11-30-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian (Post 1784434)
Bolts or security locks will NOT stop a determined criminal from doing anything. Just sayin.

Maybe not, but I'm going to make who ever wants to rip my stuff off, work for it, at least a little!!

The only place I've ever heard of any one getting their doors ripped off or exhaust converters, is here on these forums. Either has to suck, but doors would really suck!!

Good luck in your search for doors and such.

TJWenatchee 11-30-2011 07:58 AM

I find it Ironic how many of us complain that we can't seem to get the doors Off in the summer, but yet somebody can actually come around and steal them right off your Jeep! :nonono: That really is a bummer. :banghead: I don't have any nuts at the bottom of the hinges on my Jeep either.

skinny1 11-30-2011 09:33 AM

I have the anti theft bolts on my doors then had an alarm installed too. Not much more you can do than that!

jkaufman_95 11-30-2011 09:37 AM

I leave my doors unlocked 99% of the time, some places I lock it. But I carry full coverage

wedu22 11-30-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinny1 (Post 1784781)
I have the anti theft bolts on my doors then had an alarm installed too. Not much more you can do than that!

Forgive me for asking skinny1, are this "theft bolts" along the same lines as Ford's Locking Lug Nuts? Reason for asking is because I looked these up on Quadratec and basically states it uses an Allen Wrench....

Sherpa 11-30-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedu22 (Post 1784823)
Forgive me for asking skinny1, are this "theft bolts" along the same lines as Ford's Locking Lug Nuts? Reason for asking is because I looked these up on Quadratec and basically states it uses an Allen Wrench....

I think he means these ones by Jeeper Keepers.

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.a...EI&w=300&h=300

wedu22 11-30-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace48 (Post 1784290)
Just liabilty unfortunately... Figured I didn't need anything else on a car with over 100k miles. Just had to repair the ignition for $800, and will need to find a new radio as well. Might think about adding coverage after I get everything up and running again.

Any good places to pick up half-doors / windows?

Ace48, so sorry about the doors...Just Wrong!
- Not sure "full coverage" will do you justice unless you have all of your upgrades added on and covered. I had all my Harley upgrades covered when I completed them and, unfortunately, had an accident. The adjuster said it was a good thing I had "added" the coverage because the Ins Co would have only paid what it was worth/covered as a plain jane. Definitely want to talk w/your insurance people and ask questions about getting the right coverage

wedu22 11-30-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 1784845)

Thanks Sherpa, that makes a whole lot more sense than what I had quickly found. I will be getting some of these 4 sure as I no longer have the door nuts on.

97mas 11-30-2011 10:21 AM

id wait till you find a deal on craigslist if you have a alter. car my brothers has found a set of full door around 700 on c list

AntiTrust 11-30-2011 10:38 AM

i actually just pulled the door pannel off and diss connected the wire from the inside latch to the lock... that way even if you get in you cant open the doors.. firgure the doors cost more then a softtop does... and most of the time anyone would just wrip the window off anyways..

TJspeed 11-30-2011 11:06 AM

I dont have any helpful info but just wanted to say sorry to hear that man! hope everything works in your favor!

fbeiii 11-30-2011 12:23 PM

another security method would be Tuffy Security Products Security Door Lockers Black
Amazon.com: Tuffy Security Products Security Door Lockers Black 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited TJL # 043-01: Automotive

Tommy2Times 11-30-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbeiii
another security method would be Tuffy Security Products Security Door Lockers Black
Amazon.com: Tuffy Security Products Security Door Lockers Black 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited TJL # 043-01: Automotive

I use these locks on my doors. Love them! Only suggestion is keep then clean and oiled. Don't let the mud get in the tumbler. I wish they had a rubber cap of some sort over the end. But security wise.....they've done the job. Any configuration of top/doors they're not going anywhe.

erickpl 11-30-2011 12:45 PM

You may want to look on CL to see if you can find any red full doors... thieves for doors either need them for themselves or want to sell for a quick $.

Ya never know. Do the full doors have VIN info on them anywhere?

jkaufman_95 11-30-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl
You may want to look on CL to see if you can find any red full doors... thieves for doors either need them for themselves or want to sell for a quick $.

I dont believe they do, unless he had it etched on the glass, which can be done.

wedu22 11-30-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1785244)

I just checked my doors. The VIN is actually etched into the window (part of MOPAR security :-)). It was however, not on the metal anywhere.

geiman 11-30-2011 12:50 PM

Sorry to hear about that man. I'd exhaust all of my options before I went with full soft doors. Speaking from experience they can make for a very cold winter.

If I was you I'd broaden my search to look for doors in black as well. The black will at least match; that's what I ended up doing with my white Jeep.

Keep an eye out here:

D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials

you might be able to snag a set of doors that work good for you; you can also call/email them and they might keep an eye out for you. They're very nice to work with.

Good luck.

deathphoenix99 11-30-2011 01:04 PM

Jeeps are very easy to break into, even with those door stops and security bolts that you guys have posted. I locked the keys in the jeep one day, in a matter of 5 minutes I had the door hinges unbolted from the door, opened the door like a suicide door to grab keys and rebolted everything together. So in 5 minutes or less with hand tools it's easy to take the doors.

shipjim 11-30-2011 06:39 PM

With half doors you have plastic and zipper windows, no need to lock anything a swiss army knife will get someone in, I have both zipper windows and the swiss knife!

ratuna 11-30-2011 06:57 PM

I'm in the Chicago area also, where was the Jeep when the doors got jacked? Like what area? I have 2 piece soft doors and I can tell you there is no way you'll survive the winter with a set of them. Snow, sleet and slush would be getting in and driving you crazy.

dale 3 11-30-2011 06:59 PM

Any security camera's where the piece of sheit stole them?