Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Let the Modding begin (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/let-the-modding-begin-125291.html)

Cudda 11-30-2011 12:34 PM

Let the Modding begin

Well its time to start spending some money! :dance:

Just picked up an 08 unlimited last night completely stock. I have been doing some research on here for awhile but still have a few questions. Also I am looking for any information that could be useful in my future.

First thing I plan on doing is wheels and tires. I would like to go with a 285 or 295 70 17. I have been looking at pics, but it is hard to tell if they will be wide enough for me, I hate the narrow tire look. I'm looking at the Nitto grapplers. I will be getting the the XD Addicts 17x9 in black. Would you go with 285, 295, or bigger?

Also, can I run 33s with stock height? I plan on putting on a terraflex 3 in lift, so should I wait for the lift if I want to run that tire size? I have done most my research on the 2 door since I planned on getting one of those but came across a good deal and couldn't pass it up.

Those are the first two things I plan on doing. I have a whole list of mods to come but will worry about those when the time comes.

Another Guy In A Jeep 11-30-2011 12:35 PM

Not sure, i highly reccomend throwing the lift on before 33s. I know i gotta get a body lift b4 i upgrade from 31s but it changes for everyone i suppose.

daggo66 11-30-2011 12:45 PM

JK's don't need a bl. 33's will fit without a lift.

rics1997 11-30-2011 12:45 PM

Jk can handle the 33 without a lift as a daily driver and light offroading. It will rub on trails were articulation comes into play. You can get by on light offroading and only need a small lift before hitting harder trails.

As for 285 vs 295. Most go with the 285's because there isn't a lot of difference and the 285's being a more common tire are usually quiet a bit cheaper.

Daniel_M 11-30-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cudda (Post 1785211)
Well its time to start spending some money! :dance:

Just picked up an 08 unlimited last night completely stock. I have been doing some research on here for awhile but still have a few questions. Also I am looking for any information that could be useful in my future.

First thing I plan on doing is wheels and tires. I would like to go with a 285 or 295 70 17. I have been looking at pics, but it is hard to tell if they will be wide enough for me, I hate the narrow tire look. I'm looking at the Nitto grapplers. I will be getting the the XD Addicts 17x9 in black. Would you go with 285, 295, or bigger?

Also, can I run 33s with stock height? I plan on putting on a terraflex 3 in lift, so should I wait for the lift if I want to run that tire size? I have done most my research on the 2 door since I planned on getting one of those but came across a good deal and couldn't pass it up.

Those are the first two things I plan on doing. I have a whole list of mods to come but will worry about those when the time comes.

Which grapplers? Mud, Trail, Terra? Any way a 3" lift IMO will be overkill for 33's, as Daggo said no lift is really needed for 33" tires. It's your Jeep and do what you plan on doing, but I had 33's Maxxis Bighorns and sold them to get 35's. I would reccomend a 2.5" lift and if you ever wanted to upgrade to 35's you could still fit them.

-Dan

Cudda 12-01-2011 08:26 AM

The Terra Grapplers.

Thanks for the info guys. Would a half inch make that big of difference?