Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New speakers = sound bar rattle (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-speakers-sound-bar-rattle-125322.html)

Barmanvarn 11-30-2011 05:10 PM

New speakers = sound bar rattle
 
I've been meaning to post about this for a few weeks, but kept slipping my mind.

I put some new speakers in the sound bar and noticed a rattle. At first I thought it was one of the speakers, but the sound seems to be coming from the sound bar itself.

I plan to take it down this weekend and see if the rattle stops, which will tell me that it's just vibrating against the roll bar. If I can still hear the sound, then the issue lies w/ the sound bar itself.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue. If so, what was you problem and what was the fix.

thanks

ealive 11-30-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 1785779)
I've been meaning to post about this for a few weeks, but kept slipping my mind.

I put some new speakers in the sound bar and noticed a rattle. At first I thought it was one of the speakers, but the sound seems to be coming from the sound bar itself.

I plan to take it down this weekend and see if the rattle stops, which will tell me that it's just vibrating against the roll bar. If I can still hear the sound, then the issue lies w/ the sound bar itself.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue. If so, what was you problem and what was the fix.

thanks

Was on another forum this morning and read about a similar problem. It was suggested that because the center of the sound bar (between the two speakers) is open air, that some type of insulation foam might be a good fix. Another suggestion was that the speakers weren't getting enough juice from the factory amp. I'll try to PM you a link tonight.

Eric

Barmanvarn 11-30-2011 05:28 PM

Thanks. I've had experience w/ sound systems and I'm 99% that it's the sound bar itself. As you mentioned, I was guessing that it'll prob just be resolved by applying some foam between the sound bar and the roll bar.

If it's the sound bar itself, then I'm gonna have a problem.

ealive 11-30-2011 06:11 PM

PM sent

Barmanvarn 11-30-2011 06:41 PM

Got it. I think i'll just have to take the sound bar down and make sure to put some foam between the sound bar and roll bar. That'll ensure the rattle isn't coming from there.

I have an aftermarket HU and I don't have the bass turned up to much on these speakers.

Lagzalot 03-20-2012 02:08 PM

hmmm im having the exact same issue... just got 4 new alpine speakers and deck installed less than 24 hours ago and its rattling with every bass thump..even when volume is low...i read that poly-fil may help? or do i need something more invasive? help would be GREATLY appreciated!

4fit 03-20-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagzalot
hmmm im having the exact same issue... just got 4 new alpine speakers and deck installed less than 24 hours ago and its rattling with every bass thump..even when volume is low...i read that poly-fil may help? or do i need something more invasive? help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Definitely give polyfill a try before you do anything else. It's cheap.

Barmanvarn 03-20-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2160999)
Definitely give polyfill a try before you do anything else. It's cheap.

x2. The polyfill fix wasn't around when I originally posted, and I have it on my list to try out just to see if I can notice an improvement in sound.

As for the rattle, I did resolve it. It just turned out the the wiring in the sound bar had so much slack that it was touching the speaker cone and would make a rattling noice with lower bass sounds (i.e. when the cone moved more).

Lagzalot 03-21-2012 11:09 AM

hi guys..polyfill did the trick in the sound bar, muffled the rattle and redirected the sound away...now i just need to find a tut on how to take of the front dash and do the same to the front speakers!!!

jt5280 04-18-2013 11:55 AM

Polyfill didn't do ANYTHING in my soundbar. The rattle is coming form the light assembly in mine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.