Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   2011 Jeep Wrangler Re-Gear? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/2011-jeep-wrangler-re-gear-125339.html)

Ledvedder 11-30-2011 06:15 PM

2011 Jeep Wrangler Re-Gear?
 
Hello gang,

I need advice on re-gearing my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with new 285/65/18 (~33in) tires. It has the wimpy 3.8L V6 equiped with the 4 speed automatic. I believe the factory gear ration is 3.73:1. I have several ?s

1. What is the optimal gear ratio with 33in tires?
2. Should both the front and rear axles be adjusted (re-geared)?
3. The 2011 model has traction control nonsense. Will re-gearing it affect this system?
4. Will re-gearing void the factory warranty?
5. Will regearing provide more torque in reverse gear? As, I can hardly get out of a pot hole in reverse!
6. Any suggestions of a reliable auto mechanic in the Seattle to perform this upgrade?


If there is an existing thread with this info. please direct me to that one.

Thanks!

InvertChaos 11-30-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledvedder
Hello gang,

I need advice on re-gearing my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with new 285/65/18 (~33in) tires. It has the wimpy 3.8L V6 equiped with the 4 speed automatic. I believe the factory gear ration is 3.73:1. I have several ?s

1. What is the optimal gear ratio with 33in tires?
2. Should both the front and rear axles be adjusted (re-geared)?
3. The 2011 model has traction control nonsense. Will re-gearing it affect this system?
4. Will re-gearing void the factory warranty?
5. Will regearing provide more torque in reverse gear? As, I can hardly get out of a pot hole in reverse!
6. Any suggestions of a reliable auto mechanic in the Seattle to perform this upgrade?

If there is an existing thread with this info. please direct me to that one.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

1. You dont NEED to regear per say,but if you want a little pep I am pretty sure people go as low as possible with that transmission.

2. Yes, otherwise when in 4wd your tires will try to turn at different speeds and stuff will catastrophically break.

3. I don't have a JK so I'm not sure, but it shouldn't if the shift points are corrected if i recall correctly.

4. Chrysler will not be liable for the new gears (as they shouldn't if you change them, and have someone else put them in). But otherwise it should stay intact...I think.

5. Yes it will give you more torque in every gear because it raises the rpm per gear and give the engine a mechanical advantage over your tires. So yes.

6. Don't know the answer to this one.

Post up in the JK section for more concrete answers :wavey:

ztrain9 11-30-2011 07:19 PM

1. Not sure about optimal but i would go with 4.56 With the auto.. 2 yes u need to re gear front and back,,, price between 1200 and 2000 bucks shop around use a good shop that does this alot.3 no issues with traction control 4. Re gearing and warranty is up in the air,depending on dealer, if they deem re gear is what caused what ever damage they will not honor.. So i would say if you have any drive train issues dont count on them helping... Water pump,alternator etc etc u would be covered.5.Re gear would help in any direction. Cant help on seattle area..

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 07:32 PM

I have a 11 2 door auto sahara. It came with the 3.73 ratio. I still run the 32 in factory tires and I just recently regard to 4.88 with Yukon gears. It is about perfect now and runs strong down the highway at 70 to 80 mph and hardly ever downshifts unless it is a monster hill. 4.88 is great with stock 32 inch tires, but with your 33 tires I would go to the max for the Dana 30 which is 5.13. I run about 2500 rpm at 70 which is about what you will run with 33 inch and the 5.13 ratio. If I would of went 5.13 with my 32 tires I would be around 2600 at 70 which would still be good. It made a whole new jeep out of it and it now runs in the power band better in every gear. Then get you a aev procal tuner and you can set it for your tire size and new gear ratio and your shift points and speedo will be dead on. My jeep now drives better and downshifts less then a new 12 I test drove with the 3.21 ratio. 3.21 is a joke on jeep and the buyer in any jk. My Millage is now even better and I get 17 in mixed driving and 19 to 20 on the highway.

Langhorne 11-30-2011 07:37 PM

not much to add to the advice given except to say

there are charts and such out there for ratio to size
Tire & Gear Ratio Chart at Morris 4x4 Center

for every chart there seems to be a person who will tell you why it's wrong, lol

keep in mind when looking, auto vs manual and od on/off factor in

also keep in mind there are some other things to account for such as tpms, spedo adjustment and letting the ecu 'know' about the gears

to the best of my knowledge there is not a programmer released for 2011 that does it all

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 07:37 PM

And with 33 inch tires you are wasting you money going any lower then the 5.13. You will be tickled pink and luv you jeep even more and could still go with a 34 and still be in good shape. Go ferit!

ztrain9 11-30-2011 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=KSCRUDE;1786231]I have a 11 2 door auto sahara. It came with the 3.73 ratio. I still run the 32 in factory tires and I just recently regard to 4.88 with Yukon gears. It is about perfect now and runs strong down the highway at 70 to 80 mph and hardly ever downshifts unless it is a monster hill. 4.88 is great with stock 32 inch tires, but with your 33 tires I would go to the max for the Dana 30 which is 5.13. I run about 2500 rpm at 70 which is about what you will run with 33 inch and the 5.13 ratio. If I would of went 5.13 with my 32 tires I would be around 2600 at 70 which would still be good. It made a whole new jeep out of it and it now runs in the power band better in every gear. Then get you a aev procal tuner and you can set it for your tire size and new gear ratio and your shift points and speedo will be dead on. My jeep now drives better and downshifts less then a new 12 I test drove with the 3.21 ratio. 3.21 is a joke on jeep and the buyer in any jk. My Millage is now even better and I get 17 in mixed driving and 19 to 20
Ztrain9--- 5.13 with 33 is a little to much unless u go to bigger tires... I am running 37 inch tires and with my 5.13 i am at 2425 rpm at 70 mph.... Just my 2 cents

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 07:44 PM

And yes the aev procal tuner does it all and more and works now with the 11 model JK and now even with the new 12 models I hear. You can turn on daytime running lights and turn off the tpms if you like plus Change the tire size, gear ratio and it then it changes the shift points for ya. I know as I have one and I just did it.

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 07:48 PM

513 would be ideal with the 33 tire as 488 is not bad with the 32 tires I run. Are you running the jk 4 speed auto or the new 12 five speed?

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 07:51 PM

ztrain9 you must have a 12 model auto looking at your tire size and rpm at 70 mph!

Langhorne 11-30-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE (Post 1786276)
And yes the aev procal tuner does it all and more and works now with the 11 model JK and now even with the new 12 models I hear. You can turn on daytime running lights and turn off the tpms if you like plus Change the tire size, gear ratio and it then it changes the shift points for ya. I know as I have one and I just did it.

good to know, I have to check that out!

Is there a performance/octane tune as well? wondering becuase I've been holding out for superchips or diablo.

ztrain9 11-30-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE (Post 1786326)
ztrain9 you must have a 12 model auto looking at your tire size and rpm at 70 mph!

Nope its 2011 with auto.. Look at my profile

ztrain9 11-30-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langhorne (Post 1786340)
good to know, I have to check that out!

Is there a performance/octane tune as well? wondering becuase I've been holding out for superchips or diablo.

No there isnt any tuners and rumor has it there wont be for the 2011, due to dealys and finally the 2012 new motor... Been wanting and researching for quite some time... Totally sux

Langhorne 11-30-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztrain9 (Post 1786384)
No there isnt any tuners and rumor has it there wont be for the 2011, due to dealys and finally the 2012 new motor... Been wanting and researching for quite some time... Totally sux

Hope that's not true but heard the rumors myself. Reply is always that it is close. Something about the rsa encryption is still not cracked yet. Looks like ripp worked around or through it though :thumb: 2011 Intercooler Jeep Wrangler JK RIPP Supercharger System V-3 Si-Trim & Boost Cooler, Satin

sorry to the op didn't intend to hijack:doh:

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztrain9 (Post 1786384)
No there isnt any tuners and rumor has it there wont be for the 2011, due to dealys and finally the 2012 new motor... Been wanting and researching for quite some time... Totally sux

You are right about the tuners, the aev does not change torque or horsepower are any of that. It is about $130 on quadratec while the superchips things are about 3 to 4 hundred.

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 08:22 PM

There was a vidieo on here about the aev cat back exhaust and their cai. They ran a 3.8 jeep before and after and it got something like 50 more horse power and quite a bit more torque. Very impressive and they are working on a setup for the new 3.6.

Langhorne 11-30-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE (Post 1786472)
There was a vidieo on here about the aev cat back exhaust and their cai. They ran a 3.8 jeep before and after and it got something like 50 more horse power and quite a bit more torque. Very impressive and they are working on a setup for the new 3.6.

Yep there's a couple options out there in that department. AFE has a similar video on their site for their stage 2 with throttle body spacer and cat back but don't think the gains were as high though. Not a bad idea if you are not considering a snorkel I'd say.

blkrubi88 11-30-2011 08:44 PM

Welcome!

KSCRUDE 11-30-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langhorne (Post 1786533)
Yep there's a couple options out there in that department. AFE has a similar video on their site for their stage 2 with throttle body spacer and cat back but don't think the gains were as high though. Not a bad idea if you are not considering a snorkel I'd say.

Yea it was the AFE video I seen on the forum and it was almost unbelievable results I thought. It was not aev as posted earlier!

Ageless Stranger 12-01-2011 09:49 PM

Welcome to the forum. :wavey:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.