Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   4.2 Ignition Upgrades (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/4-2-ignition-upgrades-126006.html)

billytheyj 12-04-2011 10:42 PM

4.2 Ignition Upgrades

I'm wanting/needing to upgrade my current ignition system on my 1990 4.2.......
Currently it is "nuttered", but I want to do more....
This is what I have found out......

Dui Distributor (as seen in quadratec mag)
It has a hotter spark allowing the spark plug gap opened up to a 50-55. It is fully self contained meaning bye bye ignition module. Simple setup basically 1 wire for power and 1 ran for tac. The engine will have a better throttle response. It has a more complete burn in the combustion chamber. Now the draw back is obviously the price! 299 before tax and shipping plus they reccomend upgrading your wires to at least 8mm high performance wires so add 50 and maybe new spark plugs!

Cheaper Hei Distributors
They claim the same basic things as DUI but I have read reviews that the gears are hardened (unlike dui) causing internal engine damage!

Msd Ignition upgrades
It will do the same thing as the dui and hei, but you still have to buy the msd ignition module which is an extra 200.

Now you can also do the team rush up grades and also a nutter bypass is another simple upgrade. Something I have a question on is CDI or Capacitive Discharge ignition...... WHAT THE HELL IS IT!!!!?????? I was told to get all new stock cap rotor plugs and wires, but also make sure they are a better brand and add a CDI to the ignition!...... it supposedly will be as much of a benefit as anything else but significantly cheaper so

What is it ?
How do you do it?
Is the rumors true?

Looonnnggggg first post so thanks to any who read all the way through.

MellowYellow89YJ 12-04-2011 11:12 PM

HEI or DUI are much better than the TR upgrade because it will replace the small, stock distributor and will significantly simplify your ignition system. I went with an HEI and could not be happier. When I bought the Jeep, it had the TR "upgrade" but did not run smooth at all, after replacing it with an HEI it runs as smooth as a 22 year old engine can.

billytheyj 12-05-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellowYellow89YJ
HEI or DUI are much better than the TR upgrade because it will replace the small, stock distributor and will significantly simplify your ignition system. I went with an HEI and could not be happier. When I bought the Jeep, it had the TR "upgrade" but did not run smooth at all, after replacing it with an HEI it runs as smooth as a 22 year old engine can.

Cool thank you so far my plan is dui new wires and plugs.... Anyone else

DrZ 02-10-2012 02:37 AM

just ordered my new DUI with plugs and wires. excited to see the difference. Have you already done yours?

billytheyj 02-10-2012 11:00 PM

Nope truck came first (dd) and now I have stuff to buy/fix for the house (selling it next year) before I can continue on the jeep.