Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs on Black Rock D-Windows! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-33x12-5r15-duratracs-on-black-rock-d-windows-126381.html)

MTH 12-07-2011 10:34 AM

New 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs on Black Rock D-Windows!

3 Attachment(s)
Here are my new 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs on 15" Black Rock D-Windows (also known as "909"s).

http://cdn.wranglerforum.com/attachm...5&d=1323272156

Purchased these through my local Discount Tire after some outstanding assistance from the Discount Tire Direct folks through PMs on this forum.

I've driven the 35 miles to work, and now can provide an initial review . . .

First up, cost. Discount Tire matched the lowest delivered price, gave me $55 each for my old Rubi tires ( :punk: ), $50 off for being a member of the Wrangler Forum, $50 off the wheels for Black Friday, and $50 off the tires for Black Friday, which brought the total to $1252.25 plus tax. On top of that, I submitted my $40 rebate through Goodyear as well as a $100 rebate through TreadLightly. I'm on the fence about whether I should sell my old Mountain Edition wheels. I might hang on to them, but if not, that's probably another $200 to $300 or so back in my pocket. That means I'm out-the-door for about $1000 for five new tires and five new wheels. Can't beat it.

Gearing. Here's where I was worried. I've got a 4 door, the old 3.8 engine, 3.21 gears, and I went up an inch in tire diameter and 2.5" in tire width. My hope however was that the super light weight of this set up would help offset some of that. (For those who don't know, 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs with a 15" alloy wheels is the lightest weight 33" set up available, even lighter than the stock Rubi set up.) Additionally, I was hoping the reduced rolling resistance from the DuraTracs (an AT tire instead of my stock MT) would also help out.

And? I was right. If anything, it is EASIER to get rolling from a stop with these tires. I couldn't believe it. I really thought I was going to have to refine my clutch technique, but nope. The stop-and-go low speed stuff is much better on these than the stock Rubi tires. Really, really happy.

On the highway, my RPMs have dropped a bit at the same speed on account of the larger diameter. But it's not much. It just means I've just got to downshift a little earlier on hills I would've downshifted on anyway. It's a non-issue.

Ride. Great. Smoother and quieter than the stock Rubi tires I am used to.

MPG. Right after I got the tires I filled up the tank, reset my MPG dash readout (as I do at every fillup), and drove 35 miles to work. My dash readout now says 19 mpg. That's around the high side of normal, which is generally anywhere between 17 mpg and 19.5 mpg. So that means my mileage has apparently either been unaffected or improved, and that's not accounting for the extra inch in diameter since I don't have a ProCal/Superchip. Very interesting. I'm going to have to watch that one.

Overall, very happy. Not a single complaint yet. :thumb:

Questions? Comments? I'm all ears. And here's a few more pics.

MillerWelds87 12-07-2011 10:40 AM

Thats a nice lookin jeep i like the dark blue! Tire wheel combo look mean. Is your jeep liftrd at all? Spacers or a 2.5 lift?

MTH 12-07-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillerWelds87 (Post 1807014)
Thats a nice lookin jeep i like the dark blue! Tire wheel combo look mean. Is your jeep liftrd at all? Spacers or a 2.5 lift?

Thanks.

It's got about 1.5" of lift from .75" spacers and Mopar HD coils. But it'll rub the fenders if I were to go offroad. I'm heading to a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift soon--it's actually sitting in a box in my kitchen. :punk:

MillerWelds87 12-07-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1807038)
Thanks.

It's got about 1.5" of lift from .75" spacers and Mopar HD coils. But it'll rub the fenders if I were to go offroad. I'm heading to a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift soon--it's actually sitting in a box in my kitchen. :punk:

I see good stuff! And theres nothing wrong with having dinner with your new lift at the dinner table:thumb:

KooL 12-07-2011 11:03 AM

Looks good MTH! Thanks for the good review also.

kjeeper10 12-07-2011 11:09 AM

:thumb:

$50 for the old tires? How much tread was left.

ESP 12-07-2011 11:19 AM

Good to see them on! They look really good, great choice. I bet your liking the fatter look of those bigger tires. You took off the spidertrax?

MTH 12-07-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1807092)
:thumb:

$50 for the old tires? How much tread was left.

$55. They measured the tread, but I can't recall what the number was. The tires had over 27,000 miles on them, though they looked like they had plenty of tread left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 1807115)
Good to see them on! They look really good, great choice. I bet your liking the fatter look of those bigger tires. You took off the spidertrax?

Yep, these tires look much better, no doubt. And yeah, the SpiderTrax spacers are GONE. Feels good.

kjeeper10 12-07-2011 11:29 AM

15x8 correct?

I don't have a DT Local.
Curious to get a price from a local shop.

MTH 12-07-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1807150)
15x8 correct?

I don't have a DT Local.
Curious to get a price from a local shop.

Yep. These are them.

ESP 12-07-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1807129)
$55. They measured the tread, but I can't recall what the number was. The tires had over 27,000 miles on them, though they looked like they had plenty of tread left.

Yep, these tires look much better, no doubt. And yeah, the SpiderTrax spacers are GONE. Feels good.

I hear ya. I felt the same way when I got the spacers out and put in the coils for the lift. Its a good vibe. So your going to sell em now eh? Oh WHEN'S THE LIFT GETTING ON????? :punk:

MTH 12-07-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 1807169)
I hear ya. I felt the same way when I got the spacers out and put in the coils for the lift. Its a good vibe. So your going to sell em now eh? Oh WHEN'S THE LIFT GETTING ON????? :punk:

I don't really feel I can legitimately sell the SpiderTrax, unfortunately. Aside from being used, one of the lug bolts is stripped. Absent a repair, they're probably not the best thing to put on your rig.

Seeing the lift in my kitchen is driving me CRAZY. My weekends are just all tied up through the holidays. Right after though, we've got to get out to Dustin's and get'er done!

Cudda 12-07-2011 11:47 AM

Thats a good looking jeep!

what brand is that bull bar?

MTH 12-07-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cudda (Post 1807191)
Thats a good looking jeep!

what brand is that bull bar?

:D

It's just this light bar. I used a sawzall to cut off the light brackets and bedlined the exposed metal.

Ageless Stranger 12-07-2011 11:54 AM

Looks nice. :cool:

kjeeper10 12-07-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

Yep. These are them.

Yep I called my local TFT :hide: for S&G's
There was a slight pause after I told him
my expected price range. He said the rebate Goodyear has is over. He will call back.
I doubt I'll get anything for my tire's. I tried with them in the past with decent tread with no luck.
I'm in no rush just curious on what they would do for that exact setup. Although I am still In favor of the MT sidebiter for a wheel. They cost a bit more though.

R4D4R 12-07-2011 11:57 AM

Thats a nice setup. I like those wheels. This is, in no way, a book mark for when I have to get new tires :D

gluestick 12-07-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1806997)
Here are my new 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs on 15" Black Rock D-Windows (also known as "909"s).

http://cdn.wranglerforum.com/attachm...5&d=1323272156

Purchased these through my local Discount Tire after some outstanding assistance from the Discount Tire Direct folks through PMs on this forum.

I've driven the 35 miles to work, and now can provide an initial review . . .

First up, cost. Discount Tire matched the lowest delivered price, gave me $55 each for my old Rubi tires ( :punk: ), $50 off for being a member of the Wrangler Forum, $50 off the wheels for Black Friday, and $50 off the tires for Black Friday, which brought the total to $1252.25 plus tax. On top of that, I submitted my $40 rebate through Goodyear as well as a $100 rebate through TreadLightly. I'm on the fence about whether I should sell my old Mountain Edition wheels. I might hang on to them, but if not, that's probably another $200 to $300 or so back in my pocket. That means I'm out-the-door for about $1000 for five new tires and five new wheels. Can't beat it.

Gearing. Here's where I was worried. I've got a 4 door, the old 3.8 engine, 3.21 gears, and I went up an inch in tire diameter and 2.5" in tire width. My hope however was that the super light weight of this set up would help offset some of that. (For those who don't know, 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs with a 15" alloy wheels is the lightest weight 33" set up available, even lighter than the stock Rubi set up.) Additionally, I was hoping the reduced rolling resistance from the DuraTracs (an AT tire instead of my stock MT) would also help out.

And? I was right. If anything, it is EASIER to get rolling from a stop with these tires. I couldn't believe it. I really thought I was going to have to refine my clutch technique, but nope. The stop-and-go low speed stuff is much better on these than the stock Rubi tires. Really, really happy.

On the highway, my RPMs have dropped a bit at the same speed on account of the larger diameter. But it's not much. It just means I've just got to downshift a little earlier on hills I would've downshifted on anyway. It's a non-issue.

Ride. Great. Smoother and quieter than the stock Rubi tires I am used to.

MPG. Right after I got the tires I filled up the tank, reset my MPG dash readout (as I do at every fillup), and drove 35 miles to work. My dash readout now says 19 mpg. That's around the high side of normal, which is generally anywhere between 17 mpg and 19.5 mpg. So that means my mileage has apparently either been unaffected or improved, and that's not accounting for the extra inch in diameter since I don't have a ProCal/Superchip. Very interesting. I'm going to have to watch that one.

Overall, very happy. Not a single complaint yet. :thumb:

Questions? Comments? I'm all ears. And here's a few more pics.

Real nice set up. The tires look even nicer with your stubby!

clvnmcd 12-07-2011 12:10 PM

Looks Great! You're going to love the tires and the lift.

ESP 12-07-2011 12:26 PM

Now go do this Mike!

You've got to be nuts obstacle on the maze! - YouTube

MTH 12-07-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 1807291)

:eek:

Wow . . . but . . . if I just air down to 15 psi with these sweet new DuraTracs . . . .

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imag...05577754-5.jpg

kjeeper10 12-07-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

:eek:

Wow . . . but . . . if I just air down to 15 psi with these sweet new DuraTracs . . . .

:bottom:

:D

kjeeper10 12-07-2011 02:46 PM

TFT Said the black rock 909's are discontinued
:Banghead:

"some company's may have some left in stock"

That true?

MTH 12-07-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1807704)
TFT Said the black rock 909's are discontinued
:Banghead:

"some company's may have some left in stock"

That true?

I heard no such thing. They were--as noted on DTD's website--special order though. I presume that means they're still being made. In fact, I sure hope so because I need one more--Black Rock sent the wrong bolt pattern for my spare, so I've still got the stocker back there.

In any event, you realize that you can order from DTD and have them shipped (tires already mounted and balanced) to your house for you to install like Barmanvarn, right? Then put your stock wheels/tires on Craigslist?

kjeeper10 12-07-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

I heard no such thing. They were--as noted on DTD's website--special order though. I presume that means they're still being made. In fact, I sure hope so because I need one more--Black Rock sent the wrong bolt pattern for my spare, so I've still got the stocker back there.

In any event, you realize that you can order from DTD and have them shipped (tires already mounted and balanced) to your house for you to install like Barmanvarn, right? Then put your stock wheels/tires on Craigslist?

Yep like said just exploring my options.

They must be special order because even looking in the Qtec mag. The 15's are only shown for 98-06 Tj's.

I know the Jk's BP is 5x5

Must be why :)

Chigger 12-07-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillerWelds87 (Post 1807014)
Thats a nice lookin jeep i like the dark blue!

Took the letters right off of my keyboard.

That is a sharp color!

Nice job.

MTH 12-07-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chigger (Post 1807928)
Took the letters right off of my keyboard.

That is a sharp color!

Nice job.

Thanks! It's "Deep Water Blue" and was only offered in 2010. There was a similar TJ color a while back, though I don't recall exactly what it was called. I was a huge fan of the color and was really surprised when it wasn't offered in 2011.

Discount Tire 12-07-2011 05:13 PM

Looks great! Thank you for your support! I haven't heard that the 909's are discontinued but your local store should still be able to get one for you. If they can't get one from Black Rock Directly it looks like we have 3 of them in Discount Tire Direct warehouses.

sunnykk 12-07-2011 05:23 PM

Nice Setup. Like the look.

Mr. Sinister 12-07-2011 05:27 PM

Very nice!! No clearance issues with the 15" wheel and the brakes?
I'm wanting to do the same setup, 15's and 33's.