Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   To all you 4 bangers out there wanna give me insight on your rig ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/to-all-you-4-bangers-out-there-wanna-give-me-insight-on-your-rig-126679.html)

seanaz 12-08-2011 11:07 PM

To all you 4 bangers out there wanna give me insight on your rig ?

so i've found a 91 rig but it is a 4 banger.. can all of you guys still have fun with your yj?! and what have you done to your rigs?

1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ probably going to get this!

blazerone22 12-08-2011 11:20 PM

I've only had mine a week but I like it for what I'm using it for... Intown and out to the trail rig... I bought it 350 miles from home and it was not a good road trip rig... lol 60 to 70 top speed and a dog on hills... It just depends on what you need it for... I did get 20 mpg... Mine has 126k and 2 inch lift, new tires, hardtop and I paid 3k cash...

seanaz 12-08-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerone22 (Post 1812319)
I've only had mine a week but I like it for what I'm using it for... Intown and out to the trail rig... I bought it 350 miles from home and it was not a good road trip rig... lol 60 to 70 top speed and a dog on hills... It just depends on what you need it for... I did get 20 mpg... Mine has 126k and 2 inch lift, new tires, hardtop and I paid 3k cash...

3k? why cant i find one that cheap, but have you taken it offroading yet?

loganInaYj 12-08-2011 11:58 PM

I have a 2.5 and I love it. Its running cherry and I've raced some 4.0s . Beat them . It does great on trails aswell . Hasn't given me Any problems. Mines blue book value is 6800 . Just make sure what ever you by that every thing mechanical is in top shape . Who cares how it looks. That's what mods are for

gunslinger24 12-09-2011 12:08 AM

I love my jeep, does great around town, and good on trails. If it was my daily driver ( freeway driving) I would want a 4.0.

Best power upgrade was probably the 4.0 throttle body. May not have been as good if I didn't already have an exhaust, air intake and e-fan.

DoodleJeep 12-09-2011 05:26 AM

I have a 2.5 with auto tranny. I runs great!! I can get up to 80 on the highway with no problem. Had an issue with the water pump but that is all. as far as hitting trails I played with it on some light trails and it crawled over the hard spots just fine. I am happy with it.

nucguard 12-09-2011 06:02 AM

I had mine since Oct. Its got a 4in lift and 33" tires. The gas mileage great and it ain't fast, but its fun. I've had it on the trails once, mostly mud and water, I had no problems. So I love it.

cronz 12-09-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanaz (Post 1812331)
3k? why cant i find one that cheap, but have you taken it offroading yet?

Sean,

Problem finding one that cheap is where you and I live...AZ. I live in Sedona - Jeep country, they can and do demand a premium price here. My '95 2.5L Was around $7000(dealer price), although it only had 38,000 original miles single owner.

As far as trails, she does exceptional considering I am near 100% stock. I've taken it on pretty much all the major trails up here(at least where all the jeep/hummer tours go), and have had a few scrapes and bumps - hey thats what skid plates are for right? - but have never gotten stuck or needed a winch. The 2.5L with stock 4.11 gears on 29" tires has great low range power and torque.

As said in above post, it can be a dog on the highway. In my experience, commuting 20miles each way per day(she's my DD), through about a 1600 elevation change, anything over about 2-3% uphill grade, i have to drop to 4th to keep it at 65mph. That said, i have found the sweet spot for mileage in mine is around 55mph anyway. I just give myself a few extra minutes to get where i gotta go. And as far as the hills are concerned, if you can anticipate the upcoming hill, and keep the revs up, it's no big deal.

Biggest "upgrade" was putting on 245/75/R15 BFG a/t's. I also recently picked up hardtop and full steel doors from an '87 and they fit very well. I had no problems changing out fuel filter, plugs/rotor/cap/wires, oil filter, air filter. Changed out wheel rotor a couple weeks ago with only a couple scraped knuckles and a lot of cursing. My leaf springs are about to get saggy, looking into small lift for the spring.

Abner Ravenwood 12-09-2011 10:06 AM

Ive got a 2.5L when i put my 4in lift on it, it became a dog on the highway. I spent the money and put 4.88 yukons, now i could run 75mph if i wanted.

Chris

PS. GEARS GEARS GEARS!!! The best way if you plan to lift it over 3 inchs

Chris

stykthyn 12-09-2011 11:00 AM

ditto on the gears. I wouldnt tear into the motor looking for more power.

bc3_Jeep 12-09-2011 02:15 PM

If you want speed and agility.... but a corvette.......

I have had 2 wranglers with 2.5L, one with HO 4l, a 304 CJ5 and a 4l CJ7........all of them are dogs when it comes to drag racing...... if you drive it like a jeep...... none of the engines are a problem.

The key is to figure out where and how yours likes to run and drive it like that. I have never really been one to whine about the inbred characteristics of the vehicle I PICKED.... if I want speed...... I buy a speedy vehicle..... capability.....etc....

seanaz 12-09-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 1813469)
If you want speed and agility.... but a corvette.......

I have had 2 wranglers with 2.5L, one with HO 4l, a 304 CJ5 and a 4l CJ7........all of them are dogs when it comes to drag racing...... if you drive it like a jeep...... none of the engines are a problem.

The key is to figure out where and how yours likes to run and drive it like that. I have never really been one to whine about the inbred characteristics of the vehicle I PICKED.... if I want speed...... I buy a speedy vehicle..... capability.....etc....

i'm not looking for something speedy or anything, im looking for a jeep to do what jeeps do best, go have fun! I was just curious if a 4banger was going to do enough for me!

B-RY 12-09-2011 05:24 PM

I have a 92 yj 2.5 with a 4in lift 33procomp tires locked front and rear. This little 4br is a beast when it come to offroading and I have taken to a lot of diffeerant trails and had no prob keeping up with any other jeep with 4.0 and strait 6s. I also use it as my dd and it does the job. Lots of fun

seanaz 12-09-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-RY (Post 1813917)
I have a 92 yj 2.5 with a 4in lift 33procomp tires locked front and rear. This little 4br is a beast when it come to offroading and I have taken to a lot of diffeerant trails and had no prob keeping up with any other jeep with 4.0 and strait 6s. I also use it as my dd and it does the job. Lots of fun

hows the mpg on that thing with the big tires?

B-RY 12-09-2011 05:45 PM

I get about 16 to 18mpg in town and highway. When offroading it goea down a little and it depends on what im doing offroading

Captmatsko 12-09-2011 08:16 PM

95 YJ automatic 2.5
RC 4 inch lift and 33 tires.
Slow and steady! The rest of the Jeep is stock. It's my wife's daily driver, and our weekend toy! Does awesome around town and in two feet if Mud!!!!

Plumber1 12-09-2011 08:32 PM

Hey if this is your idea of fun, then the answer is YES. These are picturs of my 4 banger. Oh yea you may not be able to tell but I'am smiling in every one. :dance:

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_4614.jpg

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/w...ofDSC00410.jpghttp://i701.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/DSC00493.jpghttp://i701.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_2141.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_2125.jpg

Hubdeep 12-09-2011 08:42 PM

I have an '87. Currently running a '97 MPFI 2.5. 4.0 TB, cam, Tri County inertia flywheel and open air intake. I did a SOA Waggy axle swap and I'm running 5.38 gears, a 4:1 tera-low and 36" Iroks.

It crawls a 60* slope at 800 rpms and can do 75 on the highway. Not that I can recommend it. . . :rofl:

DirtyRob 12-09-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loganInaYj (Post 1812374)
I have a 2.5 and I've raced some 4.0s . Beat them .

You must be :blunt:......I have never bought a Jeep to race, but feel free to race any of my 4.0's.......My 88 stock XJ with 235,000 miles will blast past my YJ. It isn't even close. I wish people would quit making these claims and misleading new Jeepers :rolleyes:

Now back to topic, The 2.5 is great off-road, and around town. If you do long trips, any towing, or a lot of highway driving, I would save my money for a 92 and up 4.0 :thumb:
There are folks that say they run 80 mph, and tow 9,000 lbs with a 2.5, but that is not my experience at all. I really love my little 4 banger, and have accepted what it is good for, but it will never be a 4.0 no matter what mods you throw at it.
I can run 70mph down the interstate, but it takes a while to get there. I am running 33's with the stock 4.10 gears on my 90 YJ but that is pushing it very hard. I have tried smaller sizes of tires too, but off road is where the 2.5 shines so I settled with the 33's
What are you really buying it for is what you need to ask yourself :thumb:
Both are great Jeeps depending on what you want it for.
I sure hope this helps. Whichever you decide, welcome to the family:flowers:

OklaTJ 12-09-2011 09:37 PM

d5string.... Very well said..... I love my 97 TJ it has the 2.5 and for what i use it for (off roading) works very well. I have a 85 swb chevy for towing stuff and pulling the boat and such. The TJ is great for hitting the trails and such,its great for alot of things. just know what you want to do with it before you get one.

Yjpower94 12-09-2011 09:41 PM

Some people call me crazy but I sold my sprung over 4.0 to get a stock 2.5. In my opinion the four cylinder is the way to go. They are no power house that's for sure haha, but I will always run the four banger.

prosneek 12-09-2011 09:53 PM

Well here is my $.02. I have a 94 YJ with a 2.5 in it. It doesn't have a lift, lockers, turbo or any other fancy stuff but i am running 30x9.5x15 on it with stock 4.10 gears. I wheel it every chance i get and while i don't make it do thing that i know it wont, i do push it. The motor has been a champ and taken lots of abuse by me, my son and my sister, and is still going. It has 288611 miles on it and is going wheeling/camping tomorrow for the weekend.

I do not run it at highway speeds because it is grossly underpowered for that. I accept that and with that many abused miles, it doesn't really like that kind of speed. It does have all kinds of wheeling power and continually surprises me and does everything that i ask of her. Besides, i like the square headlights.

jk'n 12-09-2011 10:46 PM

I have a 2008 JKU Rubicon. I got the 92 a year ago for my son who will be getting his license this month. Worked on it all summer to make it sound mechanically. Paid $2,000.00 for it but the PO (my neighbor) tossed in a full clutch kit ($400.00 and change from NAPA). I bought a transmission out of a 2000 TJ for it and it now has 5 gears that don't grind. It has been on the road since August. I have been having a blast driving it. The 2008 has plenty of power compared to the YJ but considering that it is a 4 banger, I was pleasantly surprised about how it gets around. If my son doesn't adopt it and make it his own, I will be keeping possession of it and will run it for fun along with the 08. I had a blast running around with no top and doors off this summer. I can't wait until next summer to put more miles on it that way........oh, wait a minute.......my son may not want to share too much but I'll have to ask him to drive it once in a while. I hope he adopts it and takes good care of it :) .

draarong2004 12-10-2011 12:15 AM

got a 93 2.5L 5 speed ax5 with a 4" rc lift kit and 33" gumbos....excpet for the lil bit of extra time it takes to get to 55-60 i don't have any major issues driving around normal everday driving(been driving it to work for a few weeks now) and i had no problems in attica climbing around in the rock quary or any local mud near my house(so long as i didn't bottom out it went right through it)
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...35139407_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...16018131_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...65354545_n.jpg

seanaz 12-10-2011 12:32 AM

All this great information thankyou guys! but it is going to be my dailydriver and also offroad toy for the chances i get to go off road aside from school and work, so you all are telling me it takes a little bit to pick up speed on the freeway? thats fine, as long as it goes over 60!

jk'n 12-10-2011 12:57 AM

Mine goes 65 OK. Steering is a little loose compared to my 08 so that took a little getting used to at highway speeds. I'm happy with it and I hope my son who should be getting his license this month will be too.

John in Vegas 12-10-2011 01:15 AM

A YJ 4 banger properly equipped does awesome! Back in the day, me, Jerry B. Robert Y. wheeled with R.O. Pete. He had a YJ and it went where my CJ5 w/chevy 350, sm420 couldn't go. It's all in the build and expectations.

seanaz 12-10-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1815046)
Mine goes 65 OK. Steering is a little loose compared to my 08 so that took a little getting used to at highway speeds. I'm happy with it and I hope my son who should be getting his license this month will be too.

I am extremly jealous of your son... He better take that and use it will!

Vermonter 12-10-2011 12:46 PM

I drive my 89 daily, and have no trouble keeping up in track. I haven't done much off road, but what I have done I was never lacking power. If you have many miles to drive every day on the interstate then a wrangle just isn't the right car for you. If you do a lot of town and at least some off road then a wrangle is a good choice

stykthyn 12-10-2011 02:46 PM

Hug behind a semi and you can cruise at 70 and still get 20mpg :D