Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Feeler: Last Chance / Nightmare Gulch Sun 12/18 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/feeler-last-chance-nightmare-gulch-sun-12-18-a-126705.html)

BeantownR6 12-09-2011 10:28 AM

Feeler: Last Chance / Nightmare Gulch Sun 12/18
 
Last Chance Canyon and Nightmare Gulch - Sunday Dec 18th

if you haven't been here are some previous runs.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/wf-...tes-94341.html

9am - Meeting Spot - Last chance Canyon Trail Head - 35.36225,-117.8984

here is a GPS track from yomondo http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1386766, you can see the trail and start / end. figure about 5 hours on the trail.

It will probably be a bit cool up there so bring warm clothes
one gallon of water per person
snacks and food for lunch, we will stop along the trail
jeeps should have front and rear recovery points
cb is reccomended,

We will be on channel 13

Going:
1. Beantown
2. Kauka
3. MNTNGOAT
4. Landshark

Maybee
1. Six Gun Matt
2. MNTNGOAT

Kauka 12-09-2011 10:59 AM

I should be able to make that. I have to work Sunday night...but then I only live 30 min. from there.

Six Gun Matt 12-09-2011 01:41 PM

Brad! We might be down, but I will double check. That trip was so much fun last time.

BeantownR6 12-09-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kauka (Post 1812946)
I should be able to make that. I have to work Sunday night...but then I only live 30 min. from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six Gun Matt (Post 1813271)
Brad! We might be down, but I will double check. That trip was so much fun last time.

Cool! I will know if i can go next week....i have an exam coming up on the 23rd and i am studying night, day, lunch break, weekends....im so sick of studying next sunday i want to myself!

yomondo 12-09-2011 03:49 PM

Maybe for me. Christmas stuff seems to be popping up all over my calendar. I should know for sure one way or the other by early next week.

BeantownR6 12-09-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1813554)
Maybe for me. Christmas stuff seems to be popping up all over my calendar. I should know for sure one way or the other by early next week.

great!

i just bought the HD go pro, and im dying to try it out on something :punk:

yomondo 12-09-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1814026)
i just bought the HD go pro, and im dying to try it out on something :punk:

I'd like to mount mine down underneath the Jeep towards the middle or rear somewhere to record the v-notch. I'd be a cool camera angle, and since the rocks are on the sides, the camera won't get hit, except maybe near the end if you don't get lined up right.

BeantownR6 12-09-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1814350)
I'd like to mount mine down underneath the Jeep towards the middle or rear somewhere to record the v-notch. I'd be a cool camera angle, and since the rocks are on the sides, the camera won't get hit, except maybe near the end if you don't get lined up right.

yeah i was thinking about where to mount it for the v notch, and i was thinking that would be a cool place too

the question is where to mount it what to use.....you know what would be cool, is mount in underneath, and i have a tripod for my handheld camera and point it at the v notch at the end....take both videos, and them sync them together side by side in a video

yomondo 12-09-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1814505)
yeah i was thinking about where to mount it for the v notch, and i was thinking that would be a cool place too

the question is where to mount it what to use.....you know what would be cool, is mount in underneath, and i have a tripod for my handheld camera and point it at the v notch at the end....take both videos, and them sync them together side by side in a video

I thought I remember seeing a crossbar underneath that I can attach my GoPro roll bar mount to. I was also thinking of putting my phone on my little tripod and placing it on the ground in the v-notch, videotaping us driving over it.

2DEUCE2 12-10-2011 02:37 PM

I might be up for this too. I have to make sure that my wife hasn't made any other plans for that weekend first though. I'm in Houston right now and she tends to plan all of the things "we" are going to do when I get home.

BeantownR6 12-10-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2 (Post 1815952)
I might be up for this too. I have to make sure that my wife hasn't made any other plans for that weekend first though. I'm in Houston right now and she tends to plan all of the things "we" are going to do when I get home.

will it help if i write you a permission slip? :rofl:

ThisJk38 12-10-2011 09:51 PM

Pretty sure I am not ready for this but if someone wants a passenger/cameraman I'm game haha. Where about are these trails?

BeantownR6 12-11-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisJk38 (Post 1816953)
Pretty sure I am not ready for this but if someone wants a passenger/cameraman I'm game haha. Where about are these trails?

you won't have a problem in last chance canyon, there are easy and hard ways around, we have gotten stock jks through no problem, its no harder than miller jeep trail, but its different terrain and really scenic.

Nightmare Gulch is a little tougher and you may get hung up on a few places but its am amazing place, you will probably use your rock rails here since your not lifted.

a few places stand out in my mind, there are a couple ledges like this that you may get hung up on

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6995/img0873smn.jpg

another fun obsticle
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7845/img0918it.jpg

the rock hangs over you and drive under it in alot of places
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6955/img0907sm.jpg

another tight tipsy ledge spot

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7628/img0905sm.jpg

these pictures don't do justice as how cool this place is

what do you guys think....stock jku though nightmare gulch?

2DEUCE2 12-11-2011 06:09 PM

A permission slip would be hilarious! I'll just tell her that Brad said I could go. The way this trip is going here in Houston, I am hoping I will make it back by next weekend. The parts list for the #1 engine on this aircraft just keeps growing and growing. I'm here until Wednesday for sure right now.

I think a stock JKU could make it through. (We'll just have to completely remove his sway links from the begining this time!) I was stock when we went on ConsTable's run there in August. The good thing about this run is that there are off shoots for pretty much all of the really hard stuff. Less off shoots through Nightmare than Last Chance, but I didn't find any of it any tougher than Miller.

2DEUCE2 12-11-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisJk38 (Post 1816953)
Pretty sure I am not ready for this but if someone wants a passenger/cameraman I'm game haha. Where about are these trails?

If I'm home in time for this run and you don't want to drive your rig through it, you can ride with me. I'm 99% sure that Ellen isn't down for driving all of the way out to Nightmare for a day run.

MNTNGOAT 12-11-2011 09:49 PM

i wana go it just seems like a hike for a day trip. how long is the trail? wat time and where r u guys meeting? coming from fullerton how long u think itll take to get out there?

yomondo 12-12-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1818153)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisJk38 (Post 1816953)
Pretty sure I am not ready for this but if someone wants a passenger/cameraman I'm game haha. Where about are these trails?

what do you guys think....stock jku though nightmare gulch?

I would encourage anyone with a stock JKU who wants to run Nightmare Gulch to go for it as long as you have rock rails. There's one spot where I've seen a couple of stock JKU's get high-centered. I think it's possible to pick a line to avoid getting high-centered at that spot, but even if you do, it's no big deal. A little tug and you're on your way. All part of the fun and adventure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNTNGOAT (Post 1819848)
i wana go it just seems like a hike for a day trip. how long is the trail? wat time and where r u guys meeting? coming from fullerton how long u think itll take to get out there?

The Last Chance Canyon trailhead is at 35.36225,-117.8984. A little bit of a drive from Fullerton.

Hey, is anyone aware of a closure of Hwy 14 just north of Mojave and south of the 58? When I did a Google Maps direction from Fullerton just now, it's doing a little detour around that section of the 14.

yomondo 12-12-2011 02:13 AM

Turns out we have a party to go to next Sunday, so unfortunately I can't make this run. Sorry.

ThisJk38 12-12-2011 04:53 AM

Man this seems fun, and would like to try it. However my gf's birthday is on Wednesday and we got some great rates in Vegas that same weekend to celebrate it. So I will be unable to attend.
On a side note.... My work is pretty much shutting down the week following Christmas and dying down the week prior, so I will have a lot of spare time. Just in case something goes on during those two weeks, I will be able to go.

BeantownR6 12-12-2011 08:33 PM

ok guys im in for the trail run for sure. we will meet at the trail head at 9 am Sunday morning.

The Last Chance Canyon trailhead is at 35.36225,-117.8984

post up if your in

1. Beantown

MNTNGOAT 12-13-2011 12:18 AM

how long is the trail (hours wise). cause 9 am means i gotta leave my house at or b4 6am. sooo if the trail is long enough i will consider driving for 6 hours there and back.

yomondo 12-13-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNTNGOAT (Post 1823635)
how long is the trail (hours wise). cause 9 am means i gotta leave my house at or b4 6am. sooo if the trail is long enough i will consider driving for 6 hours there and back.

When we went last August, we spent 5 hours on the trail including a lunch break along the way.

Here's the gps track from that run.

Kauka 12-13-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1822744)

1. Beantown

2. Kauka

BeantownR6 12-13-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kauka (Post 1823782)
2. Kauka

great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNTNGOAT (Post 1823635)
how long is the trail (hours wise). cause 9 am means i gotta leave my house at or b4 6am. sooo if the trail is long enough i will consider driving for 6 hours there and back.

if you haven't been its a really cool place, im driving from redondo beach also.

i requested to be able to edit the first post, ill update it with the list and what to bring and all that good stuff when i can.

BeantownR6 12-13-2011 07:04 PM

first post updated....lets go MAYBEES!!! :thumb:

Six Gun Matt 12-13-2011 08:08 PM

Still on the fence, cuz a buddy of mine just called and has some (free) tickets to a concert Saturday night that I just can't pass up. Although I could just man up and do both, just load up on the coffee. Damn, I want it all!!!

BeantownR6 12-13-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six Gun Matt (Post 1825754)
Still on the fence, cuz a buddy of mine just called and has some (free) tickets to a concert Saturday night that I just can't pass up. Although I could just man up and do both, just load up on the coffee. Damn, I want it all!!!

what concert? maybee you can man up and let janice drive and you could take a nappy in the jeep :rolleyes:

Six Gun Matt 12-14-2011 10:49 AM

That's what I am hoping! It's Avenged Sevenfold. I saw them 5 years ago, and it was pretty awesome.

MNTNGOAT 12-14-2011 04:57 PM

so i get 200 miles to a tank in the heep (highway) and being that the trail head is 150 miles out. thats 300 there and back plus mayb 1/2 to a 1/4 on the trail. so gas is 3.70 a gal that means 3 full tanks lets say 18gal x 3 is 54 x 3.70. im lookin at 200 bucs in gas DAMM!!!!! if i have the extra cash on friday when i get paid ill be in.

Landshark 12-16-2011 09:21 AM

I would like to be in is this an open to anyone run??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.