Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tip for Removing Interior Paint or Spray Paint (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tip-for-removing-interior-paint-or-spray-paint-126722.html)

BeerMan 12-09-2011 11:28 AM

Tip for Removing Interior Paint or Spray Paint

So I bought my TJ from someone who obviously thought the cure for any fading (exterior and interior) is spray paint. This person OBVIOUSLY did not believe in removing things to paint, much less using masking tape or doing any kind of prep work.

After searching the web relentlessly I came across numerous sites that all agreed that EASY OFF Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner was the way to go, for interior plastic parts. Well, after trying numerous methods with little result or too much work I decided to break all the man rules and actually ask the guy working in the paint department at Lowes his opinion. He recommended Mostenbockers Lift-Off Spray Paint Remover. He mentioned someone had used it to remove spray paint from a vandalized car that had been sitting and it worked! He also mentioned the fumes weren't nasty (like Easy Off) and that it wouldn't damage the plastic or any other interior. HE WAS RIGHT!!! :thumb:

It EASILY removed over spray on my exterior paint without any fading or sign of use whatsoever. Now, some of my interior was heavily sprayed with what I assume was interior paint. After trial and error I would suggest scrubbing the plastic or painted piece down with one of those green scotch brite pads that was just dampened. Let the part dry then spray down with Mostenbockers. It was about 70 outside where I was doing it the first day and I have noticed that the colder it is, the harder it is to get the paint off, although I wouldn't recommend letting it sit in the sunlight with this stuff on for a long time. Basically just let it sit on there for like 10 to 15 minutes then give it hell with a firm brush, tough rag, and scotch brite pad. As the paint comes off you can use a pressure washer (best result I had). If not it will just take a tenacious mindset and some time.

After removing the paint there were some "dry" looking areas on the plastic interior parts. I basically soaked those parts in Armor All and kept wiping them down until they no longer looked dry.

This was the miracle cure for my Jeep and hopefully this helps someone else!

Thomas

Jeepzjlover 12-10-2011 01:05 AM

Sem bumper stripper and a pressure washer always were my favorite. I work at a bodyshop I use it on vandalized cars or dummys that drive through wet road paint.. Works great

ClayL 12-10-2011 01:18 AM

armor all is the worst thing for a vehicle interior, especially leather, get some 303 and use that on all plastics or leather, brings the life right back and wont cause cracking later
303 Products, Inc.: 303 Aerospace Protectant

BeerMan 12-10-2011 05:30 AM

Cool advice!

Yeah I can't stand armor all but couldn't think of anything else to put on the dry spots at the time. I never use it on my stuff generally...especially not on my tires. I will def check out 303!

ae5dw 12-10-2011 06:14 AM

Another great way to get overspray off is with a detailing clay bar. It also works really well on glass. It'll take everything off and leave the surface smooth as a baby's butt.