Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Jobs that pay (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/jobs-that-pay-126793.html)

Cam0143 12-09-2011 09:33 PM

Jobs that pay
 
Hey I am pretty new the jeeping world, but I have been doing my homework and research on aftermarket parts ect. One thing I've realized is; if you want something good, you're gunna have to pay a pretty penny for it. So I was wondering how some of you guys pay for the upkeep and upgrades for your rigs.

I am 18 an have been actively applying everywhere for a job and heard back from no where. I refuse to work in fast food. What are some good paying jobs to help pay for my burning passion to jeep??

SE Michigan
1999 TJ

Peepers 12-09-2011 09:38 PM

Engineering will typically pay $20-25 to entry level engineers. Nursing will typically pay $25-30 to entry level nurses... but those are both a lot of preliminary work and schooling. construction usually pays well. Commercial driving pays decent depending on where you are and what your doing.

05wrangler 12-09-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam0143 (Post 1814427)
Hey I am pretty new the jeeping world, but I have been doing my homework and research on aftermarket parts ect. One thing I've realized is; if you want something good, you're gunna have to pay a pretty penny for it. So I was wondering how some of you guys pay for the upkeep and upgrades for your rigs.

I am 18 an have been actively applying everywhere for a job and heard back from no where. I refuse to work in fast food. What are some good paying jobs to help pay for my burning passion to jeep??

SE Michigan
1999 TJ


construction, UNION prevailing wage jobs will treat u nicely. learn a life skill and trade

kfdjason7620 12-09-2011 09:52 PM

A small business metal fabrication shop, I've been at one for 11 years now, and I'm 31 now, and I'm in the low $20's, and when I started, I knew nothing. Sometimes a "green" man is worth alot more than a know it all

Cam0143 12-09-2011 09:57 PM

I'll have to look into some local business like that. If no luck I check out construction.. Well this time of year, snow removal services haha

AzTJ 12-09-2011 10:16 PM

Get on board with your local DOT. You get to stand around and wave a STOP sign all day and make bank doing it.

WatchThis! 12-09-2011 11:30 PM

Good thing about living in Texas is there is plenty of oilfield work to be had if your willing to drive to get to it and put the hard work in. Im making good coin and I also get 6 months a year off. Makes it easy to mod and whell my jeep a lot.

AKYJ 12-09-2011 11:43 PM

O buddy you live in the wrong area south east Michigan, I lived in st.clair all my life I got sick of being poor, so I moved to Alaska and now make 50k a year and I'm only 22. Oilfield or trucking is the way to go if you want to make some bucks to feed your jeep addiction. My brother just went to north Dakota and picked up a trucking job making 100,000 plus a year go to north Dakota grunts are making 60+ k a year there, They have over 2500 high paying jobs there so pack up and go.

Cam0143 12-09-2011 11:57 PM

Wow I didn't know they made so much money, I will have to look into that! It looks like I will be moving sometime in the future haha. But first I need money to move :(

AKYJ 12-10-2011 12:10 AM

Well for money now you could be a snow plower or snow shoveler in SE Michigan I worked at D Clark's in sterling heights only payed like 10 bucks shoveler, 30 if u drove (need experience though to drive). And I did roofing they start at 10 bucks for a grunt 14 if u can use a nail gun. Best bet would Be to move to ND they work 2 weeks on 1 week off so you will have time and money to go home.

Owen_TJ 12-10-2011 02:02 AM

Usually i just cut out needless expenses...

Food is usually the first that gets cut back on...me and ramen become friends quite often. Currently, i havent spent more than 20 dollars at a grocery store in 5 months

RatherBNarizona 12-10-2011 03:33 AM

I would try to become an apprentice under someone. Learn a trade and specialize in it, gotta think long-term.

chucky cheese 12-10-2011 07:56 AM

Learn a trade. Do your 8 hours then pick up a side job and make a days pay in a couple of hours(cash!) Such as electrician. Work 8 then go hang a couple of fans on the side. Plumber, work 8 then go change a faucet on the side. First rule though is do not do sides for your companies customers.

KevinWarren 12-10-2011 08:23 AM

It doesn't really matter what type of job it is, the key is being responsible with your coin. DO NOT become indebted. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. Be frugal, be conservative. Do something you like, work hard and be reliable. There's an old rule that still applies, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Be the 20% and the money will come.

GREEN-MACHINE 12-10-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNarizona (Post 1815167)
I would try to become an apprentice under someone. Learn a trade and specialize in it, gotta think long-term.

+ 1 on this, learn how to stick weld,,,,, if you can stick weld you can put money in your wallet:thumb:

hambubba 12-10-2011 08:32 AM

I know a guy who lives in Michigan and does 14/14 in the gulf. You don't have to move!

kfdjason7620 12-10-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE
+ 1 on this, learn how to stick weld,,,,, if you can stick weld you can put money in your wallet:thumb:

This is true, better yet learn it all, there's big $$$ in all welding, but tig welding is the ticket, and underwater welders can get up to $100/hour

TSHobbes 12-10-2011 09:33 AM

The first thing you need to understand is that no matter what you do you are going to start out either making crappy pay or doing the crappiest jobs or both. Instead of spending your time thinking you are too good for this or that kind of work get out there and do something. You have to show people you are willing to work before anyone is going to start lining up to pay you a bunch of money. And a job flipping burgers pays alot better than sitting on the couch.

solman 12-10-2011 10:10 AM

I started off as a machinist when I was 17 (31 now). Now I'm a supervisor of a machine shop. We start our CNC operators off at $14-$18 per hour depending on whether or not they have previous experience. Even the guys who start off with no experience are making $20 per hour within 2 years if they do well.

solman 12-10-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinWarren (Post 1815329)
It doesn't really matter what type of job it is, the key is being responsible with your coin. DO NOT become indebted. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. Be frugal, be conservative. Do something you like, work hard and be reliable. There's an old rule that still applies, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Be the 20% and the money will come.

Well said. Do not get a credit card, and drive a piece of crap car for a while until you can afford something nice :)
I have a full time job but I had always wanted to get into auto restoration. About 10 years ago (way back when I was 21) I wrecked my car, so I brought it to a small local restoration shop and told the guy that I wanted to learn how to do this kind of work. I worked for free for about 3 months putting in about 20 hours a week but he was teaching me all kinds of stuff.
After I had a little bit of experience under my belt he started paying me $10 per hour but to be honest I was happy doing it for free. Thats when I knew that I could make a career out of this.
I still have my full time job as a machine shop supervisor but I built a garage 2 years ago and now I work on cars as a side job, hopefully it will turn into something more someday.
The moral of the story is, do not focus on what a job pays, make sure its something that you enjoy or regardless of the money you will never be happy.

solman 12-10-2011 10:22 AM

Heres a few pics of my 1st big restoration project. Its a 79 VW westfalia camper that I built for my Dad.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/..._5068050_n.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/..._5234425_n.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_0555.jpg

KevinWarren 12-10-2011 10:24 AM

Your dad' a lucky man Solman. He's gonna love that ride. :thumb:

05wrangler 12-10-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucky cheese (Post 1815307)
Learn a trade. Do your 8 hours then pick up a side job and make a days pay in a couple of hours(cash!) Such as electrician. Work 8 then go hang a couple of fans on the side. Plumber, work 8 then go change a faucet on the side. First rule though is do not do sides for your companies customers.

x2. both my dad and bro are electricians. Him and I go do side jobs n make some real money. i do anything that has to do with masonry/stone/concrete for a living n get some side jobs n make nice money. you cant go wrong with learning a skilled trade. do it while ur young

chucky cheese 12-10-2011 10:34 AM

everybody needs electricity!

solman 12-10-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinWarren (Post 1815509)
Your dad' a lucky man Solman. He's gonna love that ride. :thumb:

Thanks, He loves it!

Cam0143 12-10-2011 06:19 PM

These are all really good ideas! Thanks guys, this has been a big help :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.