Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   roof racks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/roof-racks-126929.html)

oncewas 12-10-2011 06:59 PM

roof racks

I know a lot of people like the Gobi but does anyone have any experience with either the Smittybilt or the Wild Boar? Iím looking for something to use on a JK. Thanks

Keep Moving Forward 12-10-2011 07:51 PM

Hi oncewas,

I'm just posting here to subscribe to the thread as I'm starting to look at roof racks. Let's hope for lots of pics!

jk'n 12-10-2011 08:38 PM

I have the Kargo Master Congo Cage rack without the safari basket. I posted a picture of mine here in this thread.

oncewas 12-10-2011 10:58 PM

The Kargo Master Congo Cage looks nice but it looks like I would have to use the stock rear bumper and I'm thinking of going with the OR-Fab tube bumper so I don't think it will work for me. But thanks for the info.

oncewas 12-10-2011 11:52 PM

Body Armor also makes a roof rack I would be interested in hearing about if anyone has any information about them also.

blackforestgreen 12-11-2011 02:50 AM

check out jimbox and checkout an mrrb rack. he has pictures of his jeep on this forum. actually, if he sees this thread, he'll let you know about it. what i like about his rack is that there is no drilling into the sheet metal. bad thing up hear in the salt belt.

ngiovas 12-11-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackforestgreen (Post 1817695)
check out jimbox and checkout an mrrb rack. he has pictures of his jeep on this forum. actually, if he sees this thread, he'll let you know about it. what i like about his rack is that there is no drilling into the sheet metal. bad thing up hear in the salt belt.

I think you are talking about the MBRP rack that jimbox has. That looks like a great rack. The original poster's signature says he has a 2012. Unfortunately, the windows on the 2011 & 2012 are slightly different, so the current racks will not work. I contacted them and they are hoping to have an updated version of the rack early next year (if I remember correctly, she said February).

If it does come out in that time frame I hope to get one.

i2canoe 12-11-2011 08:10 AM

Once we are looking at racks

Glad to see a thread started on RACKS.
I am leaning towards the LANGE rack to carry my canoe and would love to get some feedback on it.
Also I would like to know about mounting on the windshield screws and if normally a gasket is used between the metal and metal?

110-300 The Lange Rack System for Jeep Jk [110-300] - $428.93 : Lange Originals, Home of Fine Jeep Wrangler and other automobile products, and the Hoist a top.

oncewas 12-11-2011 11:31 AM

i2 from what I've seen some racks have gasket type material to use others don't. I would. While the Lange rack would be nice for carruing canoes I don't think it would work for me. I need to carry stuff, I'll probably need a basket or at least a platform and net.

Another Guy In A Jeep 12-11-2011 11:35 AM

LOL this reminded me of a funny story. Since im known in my highschool as a jeep driver some dooode came up to me and said "Im getting a better jeep than urs" my reply was I bet its stock and dont have no lift (which is ohkay but this guy was bein a %^$#) and he said nuh uhh, It has a roof rack LOL

in other words, I dont have any knowledge on em, sorry :hide:

kbwwolf 12-11-2011 11:42 AM

I don't have a roof rack, but have looked at a few as a possible future mod. Narrowed it down to either the Garvin or the Wild Boar.

WILD BOAR PRODUCTS: Cargo Rack Systems for your Jeep Wrangler

Garvin Wilderness Racks

oncewas 12-11-2011 11:53 AM

While I like both of the Garvin and the Wild Boar system I have a phobia about drilling holes in a brand new vehicle. That wa ahy the Smittybilt and Body Armor both looked good they attach to the frame in the rear.

philxor 12-11-2011 03:02 PM

Expensive but you can't go wrong with the Gobi.

blackforestgreen 12-11-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngiovas (Post 1817829)
I think you are talking about the MBRP rack that jimbox has. That looks like a great rack. The original poster's signature says he has a 2012. Unfortunately, the windows on the 2011 & 2012 are slightly different, so the current racks will not work. I contacted them and they are hoping to have an updated version of the rack early next year (if I remember correctly, she said February).

If it does come out in that time frame I hope to get one.

thanks, i was close on the name lol. op should still check ou t jim box pics. i would think it is worth waiting for.

oncewas 12-11-2011 04:35 PM

While I like the Gobi a lot it is very expensive but I was hoping to get some information on the Smittybilt and Body Armor since both of them connect to the frame at the rear bumper.

The MBRP is nice but once again I'm drilling into the vehicle which I want to avoid.

jk'n 12-11-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oncewas (Post 1817412)
The Kargo Master Congo Cage looks nice but it looks like I would have to use the stock rear bumper and I'm thinking of going with the OR-Fab tube bumper so I don't think it will work for me. But thanks for the info.

It bolts to the frame on the same bolts that hold the bumper. As long as your replacement bumper doesn't extend above the stock bumper then it should play nice.

For the price, the congo cage is a good option. Some of the others are pricy. The congo cage is very capable for its price range.