Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sarah (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-sarah-127075.html)

gLoBaLmInD 12-11-2011 05:00 PM

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sarah

Hi all :wavey:
I'm a newby for sure! I'm in a different world then you guys. Right now I'm a owner of a black and chrome 2006 Cadillac CTS 30k miles and a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 with only 500 miles. That has been my transportation the past few yrs, but I car pool to work and put hardly no mileage on my rides.
Anyways, since I started to see the New 4 door Jeeps on the road, my head would turn to look. Before I owned the Caddy I owned a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee just to give a little background and thats the only history I have with Jeep.. Otherwise I know really nothing about Jeeps. I know that my heart has become set on getting a new 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I probably would have traded in my car only and went for a 2008, 2009 or 2010 Unlimited Sahara about a month ago, but it became such a tough decision and just couldn't pull the trigger when I found out that the 2012's have the new Penastar 3.6L engine. Otherwise getting an older model can save me money and leave me enough to put some money into it! I have a vision of what I want but I'm sure it's definitely really pricey. I tried to research right here on this forum so I apologize in advanced that I'm not very good at it. I'm really confused about if I'm going to throw bigger tires, bigger rims and a lift on it, what the numbers 3.21s 4.10s and 3.73s really are? Gear ratio? And what size tires work with what and why? And I see people saying this has been explained a million times, but I haven't really found it explain fully. How much does it cost usually to put big tires, rims and a lift on a 2012 Sahara.. Does anything need to be changed or requested at the dealership to do that type of after market upgrade? Is there a big difference in the new engine to the older 3.8L? I'm too excited to bring one home.. I can hardly wait! I just need to learn more! Thanks for taking the time to read this.. I appreciate it a bunch!! :)

tomthbomb 12-11-2011 05:59 PM

This forum has a wonderful and magnificent search feature.

Find it and all will be revealed to you....Grasshopper.

kjeeper10 12-11-2011 06:09 PM

Ya you have too many of the most basic questions. The 2012 is a great jeep and the 3.6 is an improvement over the 3.8.

You want a Sahara, thats a start. Welcome to the forum. Look around, read up. Using google is great, most searches will lead right to this site anyhow.
You will find out that there are more cost effective ways to go about doing things-a right way and a wrong. People are here to help.
There's is a lot more to it then "I want bigger tires and rims" best advice-- buy the jeep stock and drive it for a while. Decide what upgrades you want to do, then if you have question, you can ask away.

Good luck :D

daggo66 12-11-2011 06:11 PM

Take you time and learn. You'll probably want the 3.73 gears if you want to upgrade tire size later on. Yes there's a big difference in the new engine, but an even bigger difference in the new automatic transmission.

Tire and wheel prices will vary, but you can rest assured that the bigger you go the more they will cost. Lifts can range anywhere from $500 to $2500 depending on what you do.