Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Center console (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/center-console-12780.html)

sgarelick 10-30-2007 09:27 AM

Center console
 
I feel like I've been asking a million question but hopefully they'll slow down soon once I learn all about my new wrangler.

So here's the latest one. My 2004 Wrangler X has the standard center console in it. I only got one key (ignition and door key) with the car and the key doesn't seem to lock/unlock the console. Should I have gotten a different key for this or should the car key lock/unlock the console? The console is usable now as it's not locked but I would like to be able to lock it one day.

Also, the inside of the console is one big area. I thought I saw pictures once where someone had CD's organized inside the console. Should the console have some type of insert to help with organization or is it supposed to be just one big open space?

Thanks again for all your help. Everyone on this site is great and I've found answers to all my questions so far.

--Steve

jeeperman 10-30-2007 09:40 AM

The factory key will lock/unlock the factory console.

I believe that all the consoles came with just "a big open space", with slotted areas for organizing CDs.

sgarelick 10-30-2007 12:14 PM

I'll try again with my key. It doesn't seem to go all the way into the lock. Maybe someone added the console after market and there really is supposed to be a separate key; who knows.

--Steve

Levinoss 10-30-2007 12:33 PM

Stock should have a big open area not sure about the new JK's or After market ones.

I dont lock mine anymore its more of a PITA to lock the thing. The door/ignition key should open it I know mine does but you have to fiddle with it to make it lock.

Dont be afraid to ask lots of questions I still do.

~Lev

richp 10-30-2007 12:58 PM

Does your ignition switch work in the glove box lock ? Of all the jeeps I have and have had all only came with a single key that worked doors, console, glove box and ignition. If someone bought a console from someone else who may have upgraded to a big tuffy steel console then the keys won't match, you can take the vin to the dealer and have them get a matching tumbler though, or at least you should be able to. A locksmith can also do it.

Seckslexia 10-30-2007 01:02 PM

the key goes in only half way and you have to jiggle it to unlock/lock it.

Levinoss 10-30-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seckslexia (Post 153516)
the key goes in only half way and you have to jiggle it to unlock/lock it.

I like to call it the "Jiggle and Jam" Technique.

LOL

~Lev

richp 10-30-2007 01:17 PM

I don't think I have ever locked any of my soft top TJ's. Maybe if I had a full tuffy I might lock that but otherwise I never leave anything worth stealing in mine. Hopefully nobody wants my snatch strap and drings under the back seat.

Levinoss 10-30-2007 01:23 PM

Yea mine is always empty unless im in it, I find it funny they dont think about jacking the doors. Man I would be ticked off if I came out and saw one of my doors gone.

~Lev

MCG 10-30-2007 01:30 PM

Yeah the center conosole its kind of tricky you have to play with it.
And no worries about the questions,the forums are for lear and share experiences.
Thats why i like this forum the people in here it's helpfull and has patience.Just dont ask about 3" BL hahahaaha
I used to be in Prelude Power forum and they where mean. If you dont research before a question or just make any question twice in that forum, They give you a hard time!!! I hated.
So feel free to ask.

Triple88a 10-30-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCG (Post 153524)
Thats why i like this forum the people in here it's helpfull and has patience.Just dont ask about 3" BL hahahaaha
I used to be in Prelude Power forum and they where mean. If you dont research before a question or just make any question twice in that forum, They give you a hard time!!! I hated.
So feel free to ask.

Ok in here people will give you hard time about big BLs, big rims, and searching. :eek:

I usually search for what i need instead of creating a new thread and i usually get flamed with "bringing threads from the dead" blah blah.

sgnellett 10-30-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCG (Post 153524)
Yeah the center conosole its kind of tricky you have to play with it.
And no worries about the questions,the forums are for lear and share experiences.
Thats why i like this forum the people in here it's helpfull and has patience.Just dont ask about 3" BL hahahaaha
I used to be in Prelude Power forum and they where mean. If you dont research before a question or just make any question twice in that forum, They give you a hard time!!! I hated.
So feel free to ask.

If you think that one was bad, you should probably steer clear of Pirate, they can be brutal!

Levinoss 10-30-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 153535)
Ok in here people will give you hard time about big BLs, big rims, and searching. :eek:

I usually search for what i need instead of creating a new thread and i usually get flamed with "bringing threads from the dead" blah blah.

Just not Kosher to bump a thread from 1-2 year back, if you didn't find you info you need then make a new thread.

But yea Big BL and Huge rims you'll catch flack =P Usually in fun but it not a big thing people like.

~Lev

Triple88a 10-31-2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 153541)
Just not Kosher to bump a thread from 1-2 year back, if you didn't find you info you need then make a new thread.
~Lev

If that thread has the exact info you need just incomplete, why would you make a new thread?

Levinoss 10-31-2007 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 153767)
If that thread has the exact info you need just incomplete, why would you make a new thread?

Dont ask me how the interweb is weaved thats how it is.


~Lev

RIPBiker13 10-31-2007 01:48 AM

Lev stop picking on him, he'll go on forever about it! lol

Triple88a 10-31-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripbiker13 (Post 153770)
Lev stop picking on him, he'll go on forever about it! lol

Thank you :) :punk: The search button is there for a reason.. :doh: Although i love helping people it does sort of get annoying when you answered a question and the day after some one asks the exact same thing (sometimes even the exact same wording)

Levinoss 10-31-2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 153772)
Thank you :) :punk: The search button is there for a reason.. :doh:


Necro... :rofl:


~lev

RIPBiker13 10-31-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 153772)
Thank you :) :punk: The search button is there for a reason.. :doh: Although i love helping people it does sort of get annoying when you answered a question and the day after some one asks the exact same thing (sometimes even the exact same wording)

Just so you know... I'm gonna take Lev's side, but I know what you mean. A lot of ppl are new and the join because they need answers. If you don't want to help them don't. I'll repeat myself 78 times if I need to. But as a veteran member of this forum, I'll search first before asking. :)

Levinoss 10-31-2007 02:04 AM

Last few posts are me just messin with you trip.

Theres a line between adding good information and just being a Necro for the sake of bringing a old thread back to life.

When a old thread is brought back it confuses people thats why it's just best to start a new conversation.

Search is great and should be used before making a new thread.

Anyway got kinda off topic here I'll be glad to chat this up thru PM in the morning, im tired.

~Lev

sgarelick 10-31-2007 10:12 AM

WOW, look what I started (-;

Just for the record, in this case, I did do a search to try to find the answer but was unsuccessful.

Thanks again for all the great information. I tried the "jiggle and jam" technique and behold, the console locks and unlocks. I guess brute force just doesn't work all the time. The fact that the key doesn't go in all the way really threw me off as well.

Thanks again for all the great information.

--Steve

gmb08 10-31-2007 01:36 PM

On another forum, someone had a thread asking for advice on buying a Wrangler. After about 5 pages of input / advice from people, someone pointed out that the original post was 3 years old. I did have to laugh at that one.

Triple88a 11-01-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmb08 (Post 153885)
After about 5 pages of input / advice from people, someone pointed out that the original post was 3 years old. I did have to laugh at that one.

Hehe :) Well now the next person that is looking to buy a wrangler has about 5 pages of useful input.. :doh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.