Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Sound Bar Speakers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/sound-bar-speakers-127856.html)

thetrifakta 12-16-2011 12:44 AM

Sound Bar Speakers

Hey all,
I want to replace my stock (blown) speakers in my sound bar. They appear to be 5 1/4.
I am told that 6 1/2 will fit and may require only a "little drilling". I am just getting a pair of cheaper RF and hope they don't get stolen.
Any experience with this? Any advice is great!
Thanks!!

Here is a link to the speakers at Car Toys if you're interested.

Rockford Fosgate R1653 - Rockford Fosgate - Car Toys

Jma20a 12-16-2011 05:07 PM

they should fit fine, if anything the only drilling needed is a few small holes to secure the speaker, takes 5 minutes.

thetrifakta 12-16-2011 06:34 PM

Thanks! I picked them up today and will put them in sometime this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes!

Jma20a 12-16-2011 07:31 PM

did you get a wire harness to connect them?

thetrifakta 12-16-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a
did you get a wire harness to connect them?

I didn't!! No one seemed to know what I needed and said "you should be fine" So I just got the speakers and I'm prepared for a surprise! I didn't even think I would need one!

Jma20a 12-16-2011 10:13 PM

Best buy would have them. Or u can just tap into the factory harness. I believe the negative wire has a stripe on it. Or u can run all new wires to the soundbar

Alpinehyperlite 12-17-2011 07:25 AM

You don't need them. Just cut and splice. To tell which is positive and negative, put the Factory connector back on speaker after you cut it off, then use a battery (c, d, or 9v) and touch the bare wires connected to the speaker. If the speaker goes outward, then you have the polarity correct. If it goes inward, swap them around.

Macman1138 12-17-2011 11:15 AM

I got 2 pairs of Sony 4 way speakers to replace the stocks and they made all the difference in the world.
I pulled the bass in the back and replaced it with a really tough Audio Pipe.
Everything sounds nice now.

thetrifakta 12-17-2011 11:17 AM

I may just splice them. X Mas shopping and the little guy going to a birthday party are taking over right now! Thanks for the battery/polarity tip!! Thought I saw something like that in JP magazine recently!!

thetrifakta 12-19-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpinehyperlite (Post 1835147)
You don't need them. Just cut and splice. To tell which is positive and negative, put the Factory connector back on speaker after you cut it off, then use a battery (c, d, or 9v) and touch the bare wires connected to the speaker. If the speaker goes outward, then you have the polarity correct. If it goes inward, swap them around.

That was a great tip! Thank you!

I do have to drill new holes but it shouldn't be too bad, I live in an apt. complex, so I am going off sight so I don't have eyes on the new speakers going in!

I also found a link if others are interested, that lists many different Jeep models wiring diagrams.

Thanks again guys! :thumb:

2000 Jeep Wrangler Car Radio Stereo Wiring Diagram

ronbero 05-19-2012 04:16 PM

I un-soldered the receiver from my stock speaker and connected to my new Polks. worked well - and THANK YOU for a battery tip ! as an FYI if you put the stock connected on the new Polks in the same way as the stock speaker (i.e., left side on stock, stays left on Polk) - you have the polarity correct.