Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Highest Lift with Stock CAs ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/highest-lift-with-stock-cas-12798.html)

nicolas-eric 10-30-2007 05:48 PM

Highest Lift with Stock CAs ?

Hello,

i have a 2.5" HD OME suspension and a 2" BL with 35x12.5x15 tires.
To avoid tire rubbing i´ll have to install 2" bumpstop extensions ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/16059_51.htm ) in the front and the rear.

To get some more lift (the lift looks a bit small) i think about putting some 2" spacers on top of the OME springs. That will be about 4-4.5" of lift then.
Will that be ok with the stock CAs until i have enough money for adjustable CAs?

Will there be a problem if i install the 4-5" OME shocks instead of my 2-3" OME shocks? I want some flex back that i will loose because of the extended bumpstops. Will this work with the stock CAs or only with adjustable CAs?

What is the highest lift that i can install with stock CAs?

Thanks in advance.

nicolas-eric :wavey: :wavey:

4point 10-30-2007 05:55 PM

Sounds like its time to do your (Tubes or cut) fenders or go with a whole new lift or you could buy new CA's that is what I'm doing to mine. I think 4.5" is max for a short arm system.

nicolas-eric 10-30-2007 06:31 PM

a bigger lift is not possible. more than 2.5-3" lift will be a problem.
my TJ was tested by the government and all modifications are ok. they´ll notice a complete different lift (our cars are tested all 2 years).
but they will not notice some black 1"-2" spacers.

that´s why i think about putting some spacers on my springs to get some more lift.
if 4.5" is max for a short arm system, what is max for stock CAs?
the RE 3.5" p.e. works with stock CAs and gives about 4" lift in real.

after i installed the OME suspension it had +3.25" of lift. now with the winch and the hardtop and bestop tire carrier it sagged more than 1". i only want to use the spacers to get the 3.25" back...and perhaps a bit more...

4point 10-30-2007 06:43 PM

When you lift your jeep with longer springs you need longer control arms even if its a spacer giving you more lift. The arms will run out of length.
I know some lifts like the RE kits guys will go with the 4.5 kit and 3.5 springs but going the other way with shorter arms sounds sketchy.

So, I guess no I don't know the max length for stock control arms. :D

Buy new CA's the JKS units are adjustable 0-6"s or are those illegal in Germany also.

nicolas-eric 10-30-2007 06:53 PM

i´ll buy the JKS CAs when i´ve enough money.
i think i´ll try to go up to 4" with the stock CAs.
my lift had 3.25" without the winch and the full size spare. and i had no problems. only 0.75" more can´t be that bad...i hope so...

ygohome 10-30-2007 07:26 PM

my 2004 rubicon had 3.5" RE coils with stock arms (except in the front lower where I had RK adjustable arms to correct the caster). I have a previous post on here somewhere where I list everything I did to get it to work... it worked great.

*note: my rubicon came from the factory without a slip yoke so thats basically saying I had a slip yoke eliminator equivelant on too.

mrbigjeep 10-30-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 153629)
I think 4.5" is max for a short arm system.

stock CA's are short arms...so that would be the max on the stock CA's...see you DO know :D

nicolas-eric 10-31-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 153676)
stock CA's are short arms...so that would be the max on the stock CA's...see you DO know :D

:confused: :confused: :confused:

upinar 10-31-2007 08:56 PM

stock control arms are short arms, also the control arms that come with a 4 inch lift is also short arm, but they are longer than stock control arms. With stock control arms, you can do 4 inches with stock control arms. The wheel based will be a little shorter but it will work fine. With the short arms from a 4 inch lift, you can do about 6 inches or maybe a little more. having 6 inches on the 4inch short arms will be about the same as 4 inch springs on stock arms. You should be find, just get a trac bar bracket for front and back, dont bother with pitman arm, transfer case drop or motor mount lift, and thats about it. Your spings may be a little bowed cause the control arms being to short pulles the spring bucket on the axle offcenter from the frame spring bucket, but that wont hurt anything. I have 6.5 inches of lift on short arms adjustables and they are long enough to get my wheel based back with short arms.

nicolas-eric 10-31-2007 09:25 PM

thanks.

i think it will be ok to go up to 4" lift with some spacers. perhaps i need to lower the TC a bit more. the OME lift came with a rear track bar bracket, but i have never seen such a bracket for the front. do i really need it?

in 2-3 month i will buy some JKS adjustable CAs and track bars. can i really go up to 6" with that?