Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   been reading 2.5 to 4.0 swaps (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/been-reading-2-5-to-4-0-swaps-12828.html)

psycopanther 10-31-2007 11:55 PM

been reading 2.5 to 4.0 swaps

been reading about doing this swap. sounds really easy so far. at least to me. i have absolutely no intention of selling my jeep since you can install the l6 or small block for less than i can find a tj of my year (1999) around me. but after reading alot of posts, i am still a bit fuzzy on a few things. i have a 1999 l4 5speed.

-this is what i think i need= motor, transmission, transfer case, pcm, and engine harness.

is the engine harness the only harness i need though? what about dash harness, or the fuse block harness?

does the harness have to come out of a tj? what about cherokee of OBD II era?

i do have a block from a 93 cherokee. with a newer harness, could the block be made to fit?

reason i am looking into a L6 instead of small block chevy is because i cannot find any info on the wiring of a SB, except for mr clifford's lt1

psycopanther 11-01-2007 12:02 AM

oh, forgot about mounts and radiator. gotta get them. no biggie though. :) i've rebuilt this four banger twice since i have had it. second time was built by me. i am way to hard on the little motor with what i try to make it do, mainly on the highway. need more power.

sgnellett 11-01-2007 05:28 AM

It's a little more money, but you should probably be thinking about a stroker, if you are killing 4 poppers, a good stroker will almost double your horsepower, but the install is exactly the same, obviously!

psycopanther 11-01-2007 10:01 AM

need 4.2 bottom and 4.0 top with that right? is so, that would mean i need another motor from a older yj. mainly trying to keep everything looking stock. like the electrical and gauges. just have never found out for sure the answers to my questions.

erickpl 11-01-2007 12:49 PM

If you're gonna do a swap and replace the tranny/tcase, etc, why not just go with a small block V8? You'd likely want to replace the rear axle at a minimum though, in addition to the other stuff you mentioned.

psycopanther 11-01-2007 09:52 PM

like a carb or fuel injection SB? i wouldnt mind doing that but what about original dash harness? i know that the gauges will have to be swapped, but how about all the other electrical in the cab? i have SBs that i can use but they are carbed. not sure if a wanna go back carbed. but i might for right now, could always swap manafolds later and do full fuel injection cant i?

erickpl 11-02-2007 07:26 AM

Talk with MrClifford. He put a V8 into his TJ (Fuel Injected IIRC)... he'd know more than me. I just reason that if I'm going to go to the trouble and work of an engine upgrade, may as well get something that will be noticeable.

sgnellett 11-02-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycopanther (Post 154099)
need 4.2 bottom and 4.0 top with that right? is so, that would mean i need another motor from a older yj. mainly trying to keep everything looking stock. like the electrical and gauges. just have never found out for sure the answers to my questions.

Actually, I think you can use the crank & rods from an old 258 in your existing block, check out a thread called colors, I think someone mentioned more about it there..