Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   tj rear leaf spring (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tj-rear-leaf-spring-12841.html)

upinar 11-01-2007 02:29 PM

tj rear leaf spring

im currently in the tear down of my frame mounts and axle brackets and deciding on what to keep. Im putting xj leafs SOA on my ford 8.8. Do i need to have sway bars? what about a trac bar? I want it to run good on the street, i dont care about flexing and offroad performance with the rear, i just want it solid. my tires will make up for it

TeeJay 11-01-2007 02:33 PM

do a 5th link on the rear and you'll run great on and off road and you'll never have to worry about axle wrap.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/im...2F78467-lg.jpg

TeeJay 11-01-2007 02:36 PM

http://www.4wd.com/manufacturer-page...tion/3link.jpg

upinar 11-01-2007 02:50 PM

?????? im doing leaf springs!! I already have all bracketry for the leafs and perches, just deciding on what to keep. Im trying to stay away from control arms

TeeJay 11-01-2007 02:54 PM

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16069_300.htm

Sorry about that. that's the one you would want.

64panhead 11-01-2007 04:12 PM

why go to leaf springs? im just saying its a lot easyer to fit an axle to the jeep than fit the jeep to the axle. its like going backwards in technology, there is a reason there are kits to eliminate leaf springs in favor of link style for cjs and yjs but nobody makes a kit to put leaf springs under a tj or jk. this is only my opinion

AzTJ 11-01-2007 05:23 PM

he's putting leafs on it because its a cheap way of stretching the wheel base.

debruins 11-01-2007 06:12 PM

i know that most people with Yj's take there rear sway bar off and that my CJ5 doesnt have a sway bar and its fine (well it doesnt go over 35 as a rule but even at those speeds on a turn there isnt much roll)

cavediverjc 11-01-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64panhead (Post 154206)
why go to leaf springs? im just saying its a lot easyer to fit an axle to the jeep than fit the jeep to the axle. its like going backwards in technology, there is a reason there are kits to eliminate leaf springs in favor of link style for cjs and yjs but nobody makes a kit to put leaf springs under a tj or jk. this is only my opinion

Do a search on the forum for MR. CLIFFORD's Jeep. He's gone the leaf spring route under the rear of his Jeep and it's probably one of the most capable rigs on this forum. It may be going backwards in technology, but as far as function goes, he's got it nailed.......
:)

AzTJ 11-01-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 154247)
Do a search on the forum for MR. CLIFFORD's Jeep. He's gone the leaf spring route under the rear of his Jeep and it's probably one of the most capable rigs on this forum. It may be going backwards in technology, but as far as function goes, he's got it nailed.......
:)

But he is ditching it for a custom 4-link. :D

TeeJay 11-01-2007 10:50 PM

either way. If my price range was rover I'd stretch mine and use the Range as a tow rig.

coils or leafs, it'd be sweet.

MR.CLIFFORD 11-01-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 154269)
But he is ditching it for a custom 4-link. :D

That doesn't mean you can't make it work. With the proper leaf springs and shocks you get a great stable ride with plenty of articulation off road. I don't know if I will like the 4 link over the leafs. Time will tell. Did I mention I have all the parts to link the rear of my junk? I just don't have the time. :mad:

Upinar- I will save my comments towards helping you with your leaf spring swap. It has been my experience that when I give you my opinion you usually skip right over it. So I will spare you the tech. :flipoff:

ygohome 11-01-2007 11:22 PM

oh, no you di'int :D

burn

upinar 11-02-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 154330)
That doesn't mean you can't make it work. With the proper leaf springs and shocks you get a great stable ride with plenty of articulation off road. I don't know if I will like the 4 link over the leafs. Time will tell. Did I mention I have all the parts to link the rear of my junk? I just don't have the time. :mad:

Upinar- I will save my comments towards helping you with your leaf spring swap. It has been my experience that when I give you my opinion you usually skip right over it. So I will spare you the tech. :flipoff:

you always say that to me, everyone is always telling me what i should do and i cant do 12 different things. I really appreciate you giving me advice when you do, but that doesnt mean i have to do it. Im sure you know alot more about anything than most people on this forum and you think that your way is better than anyone elses. Im not trying to call you out, but you got to understand that alot of the things you point out is out my reach or there an easier way. last time you said that " never listen to you" iwas asking on how to find my gear ratio, you said to count the teeth on gear and pinion and divide. That is correct but another jeeper told me just to call dealership with vin # and they tell you. That was much easier that pulling axles and carrier. Or when SOMEONE else tell me that i have to much lift for short arms and tells me to buy a 4000 dollar long arm kit, I CANT DO THAT!! im 19 and i have no job cause im a full time college student, i work with what i got. Im doing this whole conversion for 130 dollars. Im sure imformation about your setup will great to have since im doing exactly what you have, but thats up to you. You do what u gotta do

upinar 11-02-2007 12:49 AM

O, im not changing the jeep to fit an axle, thats retarded. I already had tj brackets on it and i just cut them of to fit leaf springs. Can anyone please give me advice that would help me, im not trying to be rude but i can never post without 10 people stating something that completly off topic. I just want to know if i need a sway bar or a trac-bar in the rear. Not that hard of a question. maybe i need to ask yj forum, theyre more familiar

jeeperman 11-02-2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 154350)
O, im not changing the jeep to fit an axle, thats retarded. I already had tj brackets on it and i just cut them of to fit leaf springs. Can anyone please give me advice that would help me, im not trying to be rude but i can never post without 10 people stating something that completly off topic. I just want to know if i need a sway bar or a trac-bar in the rear. Not that hard of a question. maybe i need to ask yj forum, theyre more familiar

Not sure how your Jeep will perform with the leaves in the back, SOA with the extended wheelbase. But when I ran my YJ SOA, I didn't run any trac bars or sway bars. So my advice to you would be to run without and see how you like driving it, and then go from there. Good luck!

ygohome 11-02-2007 09:27 AM

your doin really good upinar... actually pretty cool your doing this all on a limited $130 budget. When I was 19 I remember the only thing I had done to my jeep (it was a yj) was add extended con-fer shackles and some 235/75/15 tires, so your light years ahead of me in the jeep modding at that age. Best of luck to you. Put it together with what you have. I'd recommend a trackbar though but you may want to post in the YJ section too to see how those guys with SOA do with/without a trackbar and rear swaybar.

MR.CLIFFORD 11-02-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 154349)
you always say that to me, everyone is always telling me what i should do and i cant do 12 different things. I really appreciate you giving me advice when you do, but that doesnt mean i have to do it. Im sure you know alot more about anything than most people on this forum and you think that your way is better than anyone elses. Im not trying to call you out, but you got to understand that alot of the things you point out is out my reach or there an easier way. last time you said that " never listen to you" iwas asking on how to find my gear ratio, you said to count the teeth on gear and pinion and divide. That is correct but another jeeper told me just to call dealership with vin # and they tell you. That was much easier that pulling axles and carrier. Or when SOMEONE else tell me that i have to much lift for short arms and tells me to buy a 4000 dollar long arm kit, I CANT DO THAT!! im 19 and i have no job cause im a full time college student, i work with what i got. Im doing this whole conversion for 130 dollars. Im sure imformation about your setup will great to have since im doing exactly what you have, but thats up to you. You do what u gotta do

Honestly, the last thing you should do is what you feel is right. That way you can't blame others when stuff goes bad. YOU are the person that chooses to do what YOU feel is best. I don't force my opinion on anyone and it is merely for your benefit that I give it. Like you said, you seem to find other ways to get stuff done.

Although, for instance, calling the dealership with your VIN is the last way you should find out your gear ratio. True they may get it right but it isn't concrete. Most times I help out people without spelling it out. I encourage every person to climb under their rig and figure it out for themselves. I learn by hands on. And not hands on the keyboard.

Hopefully when you climb under your rig you will figure out that your drive shaft is hooked up to the pinion gear and your tires are hooked up to the ring gear. (Loosely speaking)

Jeep on jack stands
Turn the drive shaft and count the revolutions of your tire.
How many times does the drive shaft turn? That is your gear ratio.

That is pretty simple. That is concrete. There is no getting around fact. There is nothing saying that previous owners didn't stack different gears or what's happened. That's why I encourage you to figure it out yourself.

After reading your comment about a 130 dollar budget I really would encourage you to reconsider. I do not believe 130 dollars is ample enough to modify your entire suspension nor do I believe it is safe. When it boils right down to it you have worked yourself into this modification. And I don't understand why you would do any modification that is counter productive. Why would you limit flex and think tires will make up for it??

My only suggestion from now on is to think about the safety of yourself and your riders. Build accordingly. Over build your junk so you don't do it twice and plan out modifications without a budget in mind. If you have to save then you will save in the long run. :wavey:

MR.CLIFFORD 11-02-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 154350)

I'd encourage you to figure out suspension geometry a little better before you install parts you do not need or might need. Asking a question as simple as, "Do I need a sway bar" depends entirely on your build process. "Do I need a track bar" doesn't fit in your 130 dollar budget.

It isn't "that hard" of a question. You have failed to offer the adequate information to answer the questions properly.

Rawkon 11-02-2007 11:17 AM

for someone who is 19 no job and is a full time student, id say your parents are doing just fine. as far as converting it, im with mr cliff dont do it till you have more money and time.

38" super swamper tsl's
tera flex high steer kit w/ 1 ton tie rod and drag
ford 8.8 rear axle conversion
se 9500 milemarker winch
Aussie locker front, LSD rear
rough country steering stabilizer
4" rough country lift
3inch body lift
2.25 coil spacer lift
2" wheel spacers
eagle alloys 15's
on-board air system
custom front bumper air tank
kc daylighters 100w long range
custom exhaust system
K&n filter
smittybuiltt bumpers
rocker guards
train horns
rhino liner

upinar 11-02-2007 02:28 PM

the swap does not cost that much. Just because ive only spent 130 doesnt mean its going to be setup of the wrong way or can be better. Bracketyy, spring hangers, and some bushings is all i need. I already have shackles, perches, u bolts, xj leafs, etc.
Going leaf spring will actually help with on road stability, from what ive read on some write-ups.

upinar 11-02-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 154402)
I'd encourage you to figure out suspension geometry a little better before you install parts you do not need or might need. Asking a question as simple as, "Do I need a sway bar" depends entirely on your build process. "Do I need a track bar" doesn't fit in your 130 dollar budget.

It isn't "that hard" of a question. You have failed to offer the adequate information to answer the questions properly.

how have i failed to provide adequate information?, i ask do i need sways bars, or trac bar to have STABILITY ON THE STREET and SOLID SETUP. I am very capable with fabrication but i have never delt with leaf springs, i am learning as i go and hopefully i will learn alot from this project. That is why im asking my fellow jeepers for advice ON THE THE PROJECT, not to reconsider.I am not unsure of this project. If you dont have anything nice and helpful to say, then why are you replying to my post?

MR.CLIFFORD 11-02-2007 04:17 PM

I am trying to help you. That's why I continue to bang my head on my screen every time you post.

There are specifics people need to know such as which leaf springs do you plan on using? Which springs rates do they have? Which shocks do you plan on using? How are they valved? Where do you intend to place the shocks? Will they be mounted vertically our folded in? How much weight is on the back of your jeep? Is there a gas tank skid? Large spare tire? Spare tire carrier? Do you have tons of subs, amps, and junk in the back? Hard top or soft top?

Every little detail determines the outcome of your ride on road. I have yet to see details that would lead me to answering you correctly. Anyone can tell you NO you don't need a sway bar and no you don't need a track bar but YES you do need a traction bar to limit pinion wrap or you will destroy the pinion ujoint every time you slam on the gas. But only if they have a little bit more information. I'm doing leafs in the back of my rig doesn't quite cut it for more information. :)

TeeJay 11-02-2007 05:46 PM

Just as an addition to questions that have been thrown out there. Does this $130 budget include your new drive shaft? Not to sound disingenuous, but I don't think you can pull this off SAFELY for $130.

Are you lengthening your stock shaft, or getting a new one and doing an SYE?

upinar 11-02-2007 06:26 PM

Thats good thinking. well, im using xj springs and the center pin of the sping is offset to one side. You can use that to do ur stretch, but im putting the springs in to be at normal wheel base for now, but when i get a fuel cell and longer driveshaft and comp cut, i will rotate the springs so center pin offset is towards the rear thus stretching the wheel base. Putting the leaf springs in will be cheap, stretching the rear will kill me.

upinar 11-02-2007 06:29 PM

O, and about the driveshaft, i dont need a SYE. But if lenthening a driveshaft will be weak, then i might have to do the sye with a custom driveshaft. I have no vibrations now and i sure wont when i set the pinion angle and a longer driveshaft, but we will see

TeeJay 11-02-2007 06:35 PM

So you have a 6 1/4 lift with no SYE? And that's working for you?

upinar 11-02-2007 07:17 PM

Yep, i used to have vibes back when i had the d35. But when did the 8.8 swap, i was able to set my pinion angle and all vibes are gone even at high speeds. I have the transfer drop and a motor mount lift, so that also helps. Everyone tells me to get a SYE but i dont have the money for something i dont need.

TeeJay 11-02-2007 07:42 PM

everybody needs an SYE.

upinar 11-02-2007 09:54 PM

i am going to do that 5th link you pointed out, not buy it though. I bought custom traction bar brackets and now i have to make the links and frame mount. but thats after i get everything alighned.