Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Bad spot on frame (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/bad-spot-on-frame-129273.html)

jasonduke5 12-24-2011 12:52 PM

Bad spot on frame

i was under my jeep today and noticed some rust on the frame that i had not seen before. before i go the jeep i went over it very well and didn't see this before. it just looked like a little surface rust. but as i cleaned it kept getting bigger and bigger. I got out as much as i could and put some rustoleum paint on it so it doesn't get any worst. No the issue is what do i need to do to get this fixed. this is the only bad spot on the frame that i could find. I found a whole frame in really good shape about 300 miles away for 650 bucks. is that the route i should go or should i take this to a shop and have it fixed. Is that possible?

wwch99tj 12-24-2011 01:02 PM

If that is the only spot that is bad you could cut out and replace that section for cheaper than replacing the whole frame. Check out a shop that does collision repair might be cheaper than you think

jasonduke5 12-24-2011 01:04 PM

ok thanks. i was just worried that i didnt see this spot until now and just hoping there isnt any more like this. Thanks for the info

wwch99tj 12-24-2011 01:40 PM

I would check the whole frame over really good. That is a common place on the TJ's frame for rot

jasonduke5 12-28-2011 06:36 AM

Ok so i cant find any other spot on the frame that is bad at all. I Found these online but dont know if they are worth it or not. I dont know the P.A frame laws about welding stuff to the frame. What do ya think.
Rear Trailing Arm Mounts Frame Repair - Left Side (ART-124-L) [ART-124-L] - $179.95 : Safe-T-Cap Frame Repair Kits by Auto Rust Technicians, we make it easy to make it safe

wwch99tj 12-28-2011 07:06 AM

It doesn't look like it extends far enough up toward the rear spring perch. Look for a shop around you, you can probably get the repair done for the cost of that patch panel

jasonduke5 12-28-2011 08:38 AM

I googled it to see what i could find last night and this is what i found on youtube. It is the same problem i have with my jeep but not as bad. I went to one local shop and they said they wont touch it. i am looking around for another shop. here is the youtube link
JEEP WRANGLER FRAME REPAIR TRAILING ARM 1 of 9 - YouTube

Moose-Island 12-28-2011 08:47 AM

My experience with a previous vehicle - no one would touch the frame repair because of liability issues.
My vehicle ended up being bought by a welder.

jasonduke5 12-28-2011 08:58 AM

Ya i hate to think the jeep is junk now. It only has 90,000 miles on it. I found a used frame for 450 bucks. I am going to look at it. It might have the same problems. But if it is nice i will spend a weekend and switch everything over. That is a ton of work.

Richlw3 03-28-2012 11:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Doing a frame swap is a big project. Take a look at what I did to buy my jeep a few more miles of life. You might want to consider doing the same. PS this jeep frame has over 230,000 miles on it.