Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Maryland Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/)
-   -   southern MD guy... Looking at buying a Yj (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/southern-md-guy-looking-at-buying-a-yj-129409.html)

W69DY 12-25-2011 11:32 AM

southern MD guy... Looking at buying a Yj

New guy here from southern MD area.

Looking at buying a 91 YJ with the 4L I6 with 185K miles, manual trans, rough country lift and 33's. Is has a good body and frame but def needs a new softtop.
Now heres the real problem, the rear end is done! The guy took it to the shop and they wants $1600 to fix it :nonono:. The jeep runs but cant be driven right now. He said he would sell it to me for $1500. It has had some work done to it. All new brakes all around, something done to the steering system($1000), new battery and a full K&N system on it. I know its gonna need some seals replaced on the motor. Looks like it leaking a little oil. Might be the oil pan seal or something on the rear of the motor. havent really looked into. Question is ... is this a good deal? I am decent at working on older trucks. i had a 94 yota that i worked on all the time. is there anything else i need to look at. thanks in advacne WOODY :action-smiley::dance:

daggo66 12-26-2011 11:43 PM

If you don't buy it, tell me where it is.:D

Hubdeep 12-27-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W69DY (Post 1857480)
New guy here from southern MD area.

Looking at buying a 91 YJ with the 4L I6 with 185K miles, manual trans, rough country lift and 33's. Is has a good body and frame but def needs a new softtop.
Now heres the real problem, the rear end is done! The guy took it to the shop and they wants $1600 to fix it :nonono:. The jeep runs but cant be driven right now. He said he would sell it to me for $1500. It has had some work done to it. All new brakes all around, something done to the steering system($1000), new battery and a full K&N system on it. I know its gonna need some seals replaced on the motor. Looks like it leaking a little oil. Might be the oil pan seal or something on the rear of the motor. havent really looked into. Question is ... is this a good deal? I am decent at working on older trucks. i had a 94 yota that i worked on all the time. is there anything else i need to look at. thanks in advacne WOODY :action-smiley::dance:

So do you just need new gears set-up in the rear? $1600 is a lot of cash for that. $250 around here can get a r-and-p installed.

The rear main seal is notorious for leaking on the 4.0. Not a major catastrophe, but should be replaced at some time.

What has been done to the steering? Booty-fabbed or a high flow pump added?

$1500 overall sounds like a steal though. Let us know where it is and Daggo and I'll go get it. :whistling:

W69DY 12-27-2011 04:28 PM

I'm def gonna buy it! Just nigh need some help with the rear end. I wanna put either a Dana 44 for ford 8.8. I just need help lol