Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Winch + 2" BB = not too good... suspension advice needed! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/winch-2-bb-not-too-good-suspension-advice-needed-129823.html)

jstone326 12-27-2011 07:47 PM

Winch + 2" BB = not too good... suspension advice needed!

So i recently mounted my new Warn M8000 winch. I also have a 2" BB. Now, with all the extra weight from the winch and mounting plate, i have about 2" of travel in the front springs before the bump stops hit.

Also, when I make a sharp turn, like into a parking spot, the whole front end wobbles back and forth significantly.

I have also noticed a definite effect on the steering. Its like steering a heavy van i guess would be the best way to describe it. It is kind of jerky.

So, it seems like I at least need to upgrade to an actual lift kit with longer shocks and springs. However, I don't have a lot of cash to spend, especially since I just bought the winch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 08:22 PM

You can buy spacers separately. Or a leveling kit.

Just something to level out the jeep and take out the rake.

As far as your wobble. Could be a bunch of things. Start by grabbing/pulling the steering components. Check for any play in them. Especially your ball joints/track bar.

Edit: You have a budget boost :facepalm:
Sorry. How many miles on the stock springs?

Good luck

jstone326 12-27-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864383)
You can buy spacers separately. Or a leveling kit.

Just something to level out the jeep and take out the rake.

As far as your wobble. Could be a bunch of things. Start by grabbing/pulling the steering components. Check for any play in them. Especially your ball joints/track bar.

Edit: You have a budget boost :facepalm:
Sorry. How many miles on the stock springs?

Good luck

I was gonna say, did you read what I said? lol... the springs have about 51,000 miles on them, which is how many miles there are on the Jeep...

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstone326

I was gonna say, did you read what I said? lol... the springs have about 51,000 miles on them, which is how many miles there are on the Jeep...

Good thing for the edit function :hide: lol

jstone326 12-27-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864566)
Good thing for the edit function :hide: lol

lol!... sooo, any thoughts about the suspension now that you know I have spacers :whistling:

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

lol!... sooo, any thoughts about the suspension now that you know I have spacers :whistling:

Now that you mentioned "reading" hahaha

Have you crawled underneath and checked the obvious?

jstone326 12-27-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864593)
Now that you mentioned "reading" hahaha

Have you crawled underneath and checked the obvious?

haha... well I have crawled underneath, and if you mean by "the obvious," making sure nothing looks clearly out of place, then yes. Everything looked good, nothing was hanging off or anything like that. Its weird, b/c even before I put the winch on, there still wasn't much spring travel with the BB, idk if that's just the nature of the beast, or if something is wrong. Granted, I don't remember what it was like before I put the lift on...

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 09:17 PM

I had no problems with my spacers.
If the winch is heavy and weighing down the front you may have to look into upgrading. Im sure there is an inexpensive way of doing it. Maybe find front springs that are stiffer.

I would get the wheels of the ground and check your ball joints. All your suspension bolts are tight. Nothing loose/worn out.

jstone326 12-27-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864657)
I had no problems with my spacers.
If the winch is heavy and weighing down the front you may have to look into upgrading. Im sure there is an inexpensive way of doing it. Maybe find front springs that are stiffer.

I would get the wheels of the ground and check your ball joints. All your suspension bolts are tight. Nothing loose/worn out.

Yeah, I should probably do that... Thanks!

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 09:24 PM

Keep posted.

There is a recent thread on the JK's/Tj's track bar bolts being undersized-Interesting read. Can cause DW from
what I understand.

Something to keep in mind/check while your looking around under there.

jstone326 12-27-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864686)
Keep posted.

There is a recent thread on the JK's/Tj's track bar bolts being undersized-Interesting read. Can cause DW from
what I understand.

Something to keep in mind/check while your looking around under there.

I think I saw that thread, but I thought it was just for the JK's... Well I'll definitely at least make sure everything is tightened up, tho not until this nasty rain stops! idk if you're getting it in CT where you are...

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

I think I saw that thread, but I thought it was just for the JK's... Well I'll definitely at least make sure everything is tightened up, tho not until this nasty rain stops! idk if you're getting it in CT where you are...

Pouring :(

But yes. The Tj is mentioned more then once.

jstone326 12-27-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864719)
Pouring :(

But yes. The Tj is mentioned more then once.

so much fun!

interesting abt the wrong bolt size...well that sucks lol

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

so much fun!

interesting abt the wrong bolt size...well that sucks lol

Going with the Poly Performance suspension bolt kit. For $65 it's a great reassurance when my new lift is installed.

jstone326 12-27-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864746)
Going with the Poly Performance suspension bolt kit. For $65 it's a great reassurance when my new lift is installed.

huh, I'll have to look into that... I'm guessing it just upgrades your suspension bolts?

kjeeper10 12-27-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

huh, I'll have to look into that... I'm guessing it just upgrades your suspension bolts?

Yup. I saw the listing for the Jk
I would assume they have the kit for the Tj.

Who knows. The bolt sizes may be the same.

Just google "Poly performance" it was easy to find.

jstone326 12-27-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1864780)
Yup. I saw the listing for the Jk
I would assume they have the kit for the Tj.

Who knows. The bolt sizes may be the same.

Just google "Poly performance" it was easy to find.

Aight, will do... thanks!

00tj2 12-28-2011 07:06 AM

It seems that more than the new winch and mounting plate is causing your problem. I have a 2000TJ and I run a warn 8000 winch and used to run a plow. I also have 2" BB and the plow would bring the Front down when raised but the winch didn't do anything. Where in ny, maybe a few of us in westchester can get together and give you a hand.

jstone326 12-28-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2 (Post 1865511)
It seems that more than the new winch and mounting plate is causing your problem. I have a 2000TJ and I run a warn 8000 winch and used to run a plow. I also have 2" BB and the plow would bring the Front down when raised but the winch didn't do anything. Where in ny, maybe a few of us in westchester can get together and give you a hand.

Huh, that's weird... next time I'm home, I'll take a picture... it is quite noticeable.

I'm in Southern Westchester...

jstone326 12-28-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2 (Post 1865511)

Also, I realize I may not have been clear before... Before I had the winch, there was no unusual rake, I said that there wasn't much spring travel, but it wasn't that the front end was hanging much lower then the back. The back doesn't have much travel either... again, I don't know what it was like before I put on the lift.

I'm gonna check out the steering components for any loosness when I get home from work today, in the last minutes of daylight :rolleyes:

cedarcreekjerky 12-28-2011 01:27 PM

Could always try some old man emu heavy duty springs

TJDave 12-28-2011 01:32 PM

I used to run a 2" BB. When I bought and installed a winch, I had the same problem.
I bought some 3" Rusty's front springs ($99.00) and replaced the budget boost and the stock springs up front.

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for any movement under the front of your Jeep. Engine off, of course. If there is something loose under there, you should be able to see it.

Here's a pic of the 3" front springs, 2" rear BB.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...DSCN2130-2.jpg

jstone326 12-28-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 1866276)
I used to run a 2" BB. When I bought and installed a winch, I had the same problem.
I bought some 3" Rusty's front springs ($99.00) and replaced the budget boost and the stock springs up front.

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for any movement under the front of your Jeep. Engine off, of course. If there is something loose under there, you should be able to see it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...DSCN2130-2.jpg

Cool! I think you may be the winner! :thumb: lol... That sounds like a good idea, $99 each? or for the pair? So you kept the stock shocks?

edit: I just looked them up, $99 for the pair is pretty good!... you like them?

jstone326 12-28-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 1866276)

Another question... when you installed those springs, did you drop the whole axle to do it? Cus that's what I did to install the BB, but idk if there's an easier way to do it, b/c that was a PITA!

Also, can't you not turn wheels back and forth with the engine off? Don't they lock up? Or does it work if the ignition is on?... I'm not home right now, so I can't try it...

thanks

nwbronco 12-28-2011 03:56 PM

You willneed to put the key in and unlock the steering. Then has someone turn the wheel, lock to lock, while you are underneath looking for anything shifting. It may take a couple of tries. Be thorough and watch every joint.

Bob K.

jstone326 12-29-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwbronco (Post 1866664)
You willneed to put the key in and unlock the steering. Then has someone turn the wheel, lock to lock, while you are underneath looking for anything shifting. It may take a couple of tries. Be thorough and watch every joint.

Bob K.

Gotcha... I'll see what I can do... thanks!

TJDave 12-29-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstone326 (Post 1866570)
Cool! I think you may be the winner! :thumb: lol... That sounds like a good idea, $99 each? or for the pair? So you kept the stock shocks?

edit: I just looked them up, $99 for the pair is pretty good!... you like them?

$99.00 for the pair. I had already installed longer shocks when I put the front sway bar disconnects in. Did not drop the whole axle. No need. Jackstands, disconnect shocks, used jack to push up one side of axle while the other side drooped enough to do the swap.

jstone326 12-29-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 1869030)
$99.00 for the pair. I had already installed longer shocks when I put the front sway bar disconnects in. Did not drop the whole axle. No need. Jackstands, disconnect shocks, used jack to push up one side of axle while the other side drooped enough to do the swap.

Cool!... Do you think the longer shocks are necessary? What shocks did you put on?... I would definitely like to avoid dropping the whole axle again! And about the discos; I was planning on just making my own by replacing the bolt with a cotter pin or something similar... Is there any reason to buy discos? Are they longer or something?

Thanks

TJDave 12-30-2011 05:16 AM

I went with Skyjacker Hydros. They have different lengths depending on the amount of lift, and the ride is pretty good for an inexpensive shock.

I used to have Tera discos for a 2-4" lift I think. They were longer than stock. Plenty of people have made home made discos out of the stockers. I am not sure if they will work with a lift. Maybe someone can chime in on that question. But, the upper joint is a weak point on the stock links. Mine broke.

jstone326 01-04-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 1871517)
I went with Skyjacker Hydros. They have different lengths depending on the amount of lift, and the ride is pretty good for an inexpensive shock.

I used to have Tera discos for a 2-4" lift I think. They were longer than stock. Plenty of people have made home made discos out of the stockers. I am not sure if they will work with a lift. Maybe someone can chime in on that question. But, the upper joint is a weak point on the stock links. Mine broke.

How did yours break?... btw, I ordered those Rusty's 3" lift springs you recommended, hopefully it'll work!

edit: And I just checked the tracking, and they should be here 2m! Maybe I'll be able to put them in this weekend, its supposed to get up to a balmy 50 degrees saturday :punk: